Advice needed - trim missing around back seat

Glad it sounds nearly sorted. Not wanting to perpetuate some of the more 'doom and gloom' prophecies in this thread, but the 'belt and braces' bit of my brain would suggest you ask the Manager who called you to follow up his call by confirming his responses in writing. If he won't, send him another letter/email where you thank him for the call and 'confirm his earlier assurances' before listing the points as you understand them. Just to cover your @rse in the future - unrecorded phone calls and assurances are wonderfully deniable if it becomes convenient at a later stage!

Edited by CheshireBumpkin
  • Like 3

You might want to hold off on naming them until everything is resolved, but I would certainly avoid them if I knew what dealer it was.

I would also demand that any compensation/servicing can be redeemed at another dealer. Also, total your hours spent on this and invoice them... they would certainly bill you.

Bad luck EddGee. I take it you have a different dealer in mind to take care of the servicing etc once this sorry mess is sorted out?

4 minutes ago, Alan_P said:

You might want to hold off on naming them until everything is resolved, but I would certainly avoid them if I knew what dealer it was.

Agree on both points - get it sorted first, then a dealer review is in order I think.

Yes this dealer is about 40 miles from me. I wouldn’t be going back that’s for sure. 

Just remaining calm for now until everything is addressed. 

Ive not really known incompetence like this from any dealer in all the years I’ve been buying cars. 

First prize in the fu**wittery award. 

On 2/20/2018 at 08:20, EddGee said:

Its a subsidary of a Skoda main dealer so they should be better than some back street dealer. 

In an earlier post you said the above. So in truth its nothing to do with Skoda since the garage you are dealing with is not in the network.

As I said before, if the car had been 100% right it would have been on the main dealers for forecourt and not their back street alternative.

2 minutes ago, skidpan said:

In an earlier post you said the above. So in truth its nothing to do with Skoda since the garage you are dealing with is not in the network.

As I said before, if the car had been 100% right it would have been on the main dealers for forecourt and not their back street alternative.

Yes it’s part of the group and their managing director owns the whole lot. 

The car was originally on their forecourt for £27,000 and they couldn’t shift it. 

So they discounted it at their smaller site. Doesn’t have all the poshness associated with main franchise. That’s the story I was told. 

It’s also stocked aplenty with 18 plate motors ready for March delivery. 

Not sure this is helping much Skidpan. I've experienced poor service from main dealers and excellent service from car warehouses or independents previously. This lot look like a shower of sh** but I wouldn't automatically assume the car isn't "100% right" because of where it is being sold. Equally, how many times have we heard stories of brand new high-end cars driven away from high end dealerships with suspension blocks still in place, tyres at wrong pressures etc. I'm even more keen to know who the dealer is (once everything is sorted) because this kind of lack of consideration generally filters down from the top so I wouldn't want my car anywhere near the parent dealer either.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, BriskodaJeff said:

I wouldn't automatically assume the car isn't "100% right" because of where it is being sold. 

No need to assume anything, the car was not 100% right. That is why EddGee posted in the first instance.

Not wishing to drag this further off topic but by that logic my car, bought from a main dealer, was also not 100% right. It was missing a door brolly, which I noticed and they gave me immediately, and the boot torch which I noticed when I got home (120 miles from where I bought it). I emailed the following day and they sent me a new one the same day. Some could say it's very poor not to have caught these things in the PDI and I wouldn't disagree. But it's about how they recovered from the ****-up that determines my view of the service I received - I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them to future purchasers. Guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this one.:)

My dealer who I personally rate extremely highly has not got everything right on some odd occasions but as was stated it is how they deal with those circumstances that sets them out from those that don't and is why I rate my dealer so.

i think in my opinion I think EddGee is going about this in the right way.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update folks. 

Almost a month after purchasing the car the issues still were not resolved. 

Back and forth to the dealer with the same issues and nothing actually getting done. 

Enough was enough. 

I suggested to the dealer I hand the car back and receive a refund. 

He agreed and so back I went.  

Received my money back minus a small deduction for usage and depreciation for using the car over the month and putting 600 miles on it. 

So to conclude I’ve walked away with my sanity just about intact and a clear head with no issues hanging over me. 

Further to this I’ve placed a deposit on a brand new Moon White vRS Octavia 245 with Pan roof and a few toys from another dealer who provided a deal that was better than orange wheels could muster up. Couldn’t believe there was one in stock in the spec I wanted with the demand causing orders to be on hold in the UK. 

Talk about being meant to be!

Hopefully taking delivery mid to late next week. 

I’ll miss the Superb’s power, size and comfort but the Octavia ticks many boxes for me having owned two previously and loved them. 

So that’s it. Goodbye Superb 280, hello vRS 245. 

Edited by EddGee
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, EddGee said:

Back and forth to the dealer with the same issues and nothing actually getting done. 

Enough was enough. 

Received my money back minus a small deduction for usage and depreciation for using the car over the month and putting 600 miles on it. 

So to conclude I’ve walked away with my sanity just about intact and a clear head with no issues hanging over me. 

Further to this I’ve placed a deposit on a brand new Moon White vRS Octavia 245 with Pan roof and a few toys from another dealer who provided a deal that was better than orange wheels could muster up. Couldn’t believe there was one in stock in the spec I wanted with the demand causing orders to be on hold in the UK. 

I’ll miss the Superb’s power, size and comfort but the Octavia ticks many boxes for me having owned two previously and loved them. 

Putting aside the customer server elements, you got a refund for a car which had a bit of missing plastic ? (ok - i understand they ordered the wrong part) but that may seem a bit OTT if everything else about the car was ok ?  (exclude tyres)

14 minutes ago, RickTT said:

Putting aside the customer server elements, you got a refund for a car which had a bit of missing plastic ? (ok - i understand they ordered the wrong part) but that may seem a bit OTT if everything else about the car was ok ?  (exclude tyres)

Not quite. 

Many reasons lead me to handing the car back. 

In the end I got sick of going back and forth conducting an 80 mile round trip, at my cost, taking time off work etc and getting nowhere. 

How many chances and opportunities should I give a dealer before I decide enough is enough? 

In the end I just wanted to hand the car back. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, EddGee said:

Enough was enough. 

IMO you’ve done the right thing. I bet if you kept the car it wouldn’t have had the same sparkle and you’d always be second guessing if there was more to it than mismatched tyres and missing trim. 

I can only imagine how frustrated you were. 

So the vRS is a stock car?! That’s a result!  Better the devil you know

Please post some pics when you collect it.  I bet it looks the dogs. 

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, penguin17 said:

IMO you’ve done the right thing. I bet if you kept the car it wouldn’t have had the same sparkle and you’d always be second guessing if there was more to it than mismatched tyres and missing trim. 

I can only imagine how frustrated you were. 

So the vRS is a stock car?! That’s a result!  Better the devil you know

Please post some pics when you collect it.  I bet it looks the dogs. 

Cheers Penguin :)

Yes the 245 was one of two they had in stock. I emailed the salesman over a quote from Orangewheels and they bettered it ever so slightly. 

Got a dealer discount plus the Skoda £3000 discount. 

I was really surprised I found one as they are like rocking horse poo to get hold of currently. Mind you’ve I’ve not been off the phone speaking to dealers all week. :tongueout:

Used ones are are going for higher than what I’ve paid new. Bonkers... 

Edited by EddGee

Call me a fusspot, but if dealers don‘t get the details right and don’t respond promptly and professionally when problems occur, then they are little better than a sales website - they’re not only NOT adding value to the purchase, they’re actually making you regret it.

I can understand completely where EddGee is coming from - these should have been minor, easy fixes, sorted while you wait. The dealer told fibs about what was happening, didn’t sort it, turned it into an experience which left a nasty taste in the mouth.

If the margins aren’t high enough to fund professional service then your business model is busted. Sooner or later, that’s where these guys are headed in the online era.

Edited by MorrisOx
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, EddGee said:

Cheers Penguin :)

Yes the 245 was one of two they had in stock. I emailed the salesman over a quote from Orangewheels and they bettered it ever so slightly. 

Got a dealer discount plus the Skoda £3000 discount. 

I was really surprised I found one as they are like rocking horse poo to get hold of currently. Mind you’ve I’ve not been off the phone speaking to dealers all week. :tongueout:

Used ones are are going for higher than what I’ve paid new. Bonkers... 

Sounds like you’re happy with the deal and car. At least something positive has come from it. 

If you had the choice of the 280 (imagine it was fault free) and the 245, side by side and no soured experience, which would you pick? 

1 hour ago, penguin17 said:

Sounds like you’re happy with the deal and car. At least something positive has come from it. 

If you had the choice of the 280 (imagine it was fault free) and the 245, side by side and no soured experience, which would you pick? 

The 280 for its size, comfort and refinement. 

I almost purchased a dragon green one but the 245 was a more tempting deal. 

• Like 1