Coolant Leak

RJ595

Afternoon All,

I have a 2002 fabia which has recently developed a coolant leak. I can visibly see fluid dripping from the undertray of the car, so you'd think it would be easy to diagnose. However, I am struggling to identify the actual source of the leak due to many plastic covers and panels being in the way. As I look at the front of the vehicle, the leak must be somewhere at the lower left of the radiator (but doesn't appear to be from the radiator as no fluid is on or around it). Having hunted through exploded diagrams etc, I cannot seem to identify a component in this area which could be leaking. As far as I can tell, all hoses leading to the radiator are on the opposite side of it.

Does anyone have any idea what component/joint could be causing this?

Same as mine. I've recently had the rad replaced. I had a coolant leak. Looking from the front the fluid was on the right hand side and looking in from underneath showed nothing. Once in the garage it was confirmed to be one of the rad pipes had developed the leak. Both top and bottom are on the same side of the rad.  Didn't matter how I tried to look for the leak, I couldn't see it. The front had to come off to find it, and change the rad.  I had the AC re charged and serviced and it came in at £200 all in. 

If you search rad , water or coolant leak there's a lot about this very issue. 

47 minutes ago, TripleMcB said:

Same as mine. I've recently had the rad replaced. I had a coolant leak. Looking from the front the fluid was on the right hand side and looking in from underneath showed nothing. Once in the garage it was confirmed to be one of the rad pipes had developed the leak. Both top and bottom are on the same side of the rad.  Didn't matter how I tried to look for the leak, I couldn't see it. The front had to come off to find it, and change the rad.  I had the AC re charged and serviced and it came in at £200 all in. 

If you search rad , water or coolant leak there's a lot about this very issue. 

Sounds like yours was on the opposite side to mine. Mine is leaking from the left so not one of the pipes leaking

• 4 weeks later...

I had this last month, turned out to be leaking from the fan switch, which Skoda dont use a washer on. Took the switch out, cleaned it up, used ptfe round the thread and tightened it up, but dont over tighten it.

Good as gold now. It was an easy job and im crap with cars.

But mine was dripping from the right hand side of the car looking at it from the front.

Maybe the coolant is being caught by the tray and dispersing across so it looks like u have a leak on the left?

I aint no expert though. :)

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, RJ595 said:

Thanks for the suggestions. Its definitely not head gasket because I get a puddle! From closer inspection, starting to think it is the radiator, but thanks for the other suggestions

Gosh, really?

Could have sworn I told you that a month ago, modern radiators last about ten years. Both my Fabias have had theirs replaced.

The quickest way to diagnose this is to add UV dye to your coolant reservoir. Drive around the block for a couple minutes and then inspect the engine bay with an UV flashlight. You'll be able to spot the leak rather quickly using this method. Don't forgot to check the tail pipe. Always a good idea to be on the lookout for a head gasket leak.

Edited by Xsr
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Xsr said:

The quickest way to diagnose this is to add UV dye to your coolant reservoir. Drive around the block for a couple minutes and then inspect the engine bay with an UV flashlight. You'll be able to spot the leak rather quickly using this method. Don't forgot to check the tail pipe. Always a good idea to be on the lookout for a head gasket leak.

The pink G12 is UV dye, that's why it's slightly fluorescent in daylight It's there to help with diagnosis and to make concentration easily measurable using a refractometer.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, sepulchrave said:

The pink G12 is UV dye, that's why it's slightly fluorescent in daylight It's there to help with diagnosis and to make concentration easily measurable using a refractometer.

Be that as it may. Its still easier to find a leak by adding a couple mills of UV dye (preferably a green dye) and pull out a UV flashlight. Than to teach someone how to properly use a refractometer.

Edited by Xsr