New Sump Cost?

Hi.  I have a slow oil leak.  Took it to a garage today who have informed me that the thread on the sump has been damaged and I'll need a new sump.  In addition to the oil and filter change (which was the other reason I took it in), they've quoted me a total figure shy of £350.  Does this sound right; seems pretty expensive.  Also, I assumed they would have needed to remove the plug to check the thread, which would mean draining the oil...which they didn't do.

Any thoughts are welcomed.  Thank you.

1 minute ago, BlackMesaUK said:

Hi.  I have a slow oil leak.  Took it to a garage today who have informed me that the thread on the sump has been damaged and I'll need a new sump.  In addition to the oil and filter change (which was the other reason I took it in), they've quoted me a total figure shy of £350.  Does this sound right; seems pretty expensive.  Also, I assumed they would have needed to remove the plug to check the thread, which would mean draining the oil...which they didn't do.

Any thoughts are welcomed.  Thank you.

When I had this issue with a Passat many years ago the garage fitted a Helicoil 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Could it be simply because the sump plug wasn't replaced on the last oil change. They have a built in washer these days.

Edited by bigjohn

See my reply in the other topic. The broken thread is caused by overtightening the sump plug, because they keep on leaking. That's because the official VAG-plugs have an idiotic design, with a solid steel washer (it's not a crush washer like you see on spark plugs). I can only recommend to use the Ford plug, explained in the linked post.

• Like 1