Icy moment

Got caught out yesterday by some hidden ice, while there were fortunately no other cars or people about, and at about 5mph or a shade over. 

It was on a right turn, and ended up clipping curb sidesways, front passenger wheel appears to have taken brunt but rear after. Only visible damage is some scratches to the front alloy, but I’ve read that some could be hidden, even at pretty slow speeds. 

The car is back to ŠKODA at the end of the week for more investigative work with stalling after diesel fix, so I’ll ask for a full check over then.  In the meantime I would like to make sure it’s safe to drive, I didn’t notice any issues at the slow speed I was doing after yesterday.

I’m not a mechanic in any way, but from reading a couple posts about the webs, I think I need to pop the wheel off, then check the wishbone (control arm?), tracking rods, wheel bearing, strut.

Does any one have any othe tips/thoughts?  (Sadly I am on fresh summer tyres, but I realise winters would have helped). 

Thanks!

Edited by exFiesta
  • Sad 1

20 minutes ago, drefaldwyn said:

Perhaps a visit to a good 4 wheel alignment centre would be a start?

Hope everything is found to be OK.

Drefaldwyn

Thanks ;)

Yeah, I'll get that checked for sure.   Won't be moving for a day or two by the look of it though, sliding sideways is not the most pleasant of experiences!

2 hours ago, drefaldwyn said:

Perhaps a visit to a good 4 wheel alignment centre would be a start?

Hope everything is found to be OK.

Drefaldwyn

Seconded. 4 wheel alignment would be my first port of call too.

• Like 1

If your alignment is off make sure all components are checked for damage. When an alignment is done, all bolts are tightened to fix the alignment: if the alignment subsequently changes, something is worn or bent; those bolts don't suddenly loosen to let the alignment slip.

• Like 2

Super, thanks all, I visually checked with a camera and it looks safe enough to at least take out for the alignment check.  To my eye I can't seen anything obviously bent out of shape (in comparison to the other side).

Rear shot, wheel turned in

IMG_2607.thumb.jpg.792c82a7a366d38aa561ebc99c2ad244.jpg

Front shot, wheel turned out

IMG_2605.thumb.jpg.ba37c91b7e46542ed50d7149fb2818a1.jpg

If scratches on the wheel was the only result I think you are ok. Two winters ago I hit a curb with more force - the alloy wheel buckled and had to be replaced.
At the four wheel alignment I did after replacing the wheel, nothing was really far off, but the wheel bearing failed 5000 km later. I guess the close encounter with the curb was the reason. :sadsmile:
Replaced the bearing myself and have not had any issues since.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/03/2018 at 09:36, exFiesta said:

Got caught out yesterday by some hidden ice, while there were fortunately no other cars or people about, and at about 5mph or a shade over. 

It was on a right turn, and ended up clipping curb sidesways, front passenger wheel appears to have taken brunt but rear after. Only visible damage is some scratches to the front alloy, but I’ve read that some could be hidden, even at pretty slow speeds. 

The car is back to ŠKODA at the end of the week for more investigative work with stalling after diesel fix, so I’ll ask for a full check over then.  In the meantime I would like to make sure it’s safe to drive, I didn’t notice any issues at the slow speed I was doing after yesterday.

I’m not a mechanic in any way, but from reading a couple posts about the webs, I think I need to pop the wheel off, then check the wishbone (control arm?), tracking rods, wheel bearing, strut.

Does any one have any othe tips/thoughts?  (Sadly I am on fresh summer tyres, but I realise winters would have helped). 

Thanks!

That was a lucky escape on the summer tyres. I have a small scratch on one of my 18" wheels and hate the look it. This was a parking incident though. Although you could always claim you tried to park with the hand brake turn.

Winter tyres could have prevented the brown trousers. I had some real fun in the snow - with winter tyres.

20 minutes ago, 26DIPP said:

That was a lucky escape on the summer tyres. I have a small scratch on one of my 18" wheels and hate the look it. This was a parking incident though. Although you could always claim you tried to park with the hand brake turn.

Winter tyres could have prevented the brown trousers. I had some real fun in the snow - with winter tyres.

Cheers, yeah I hate to see any kind of blemish but it could have been a lot worse.

I think the wheel bearing might be a little ko’d as it started a light hum from about 45mph, worse if turning right.  So I’ve asked the garage to take a look while it’s in there for a couple of weeks (the results of software updates for diesel).