Multiple adaptations for front fog lights

Is it possible to set multiple adaptations for the front fog lights on a 64 skoda octavia. I can set the cornering lights up or have the fog lights coming on when flashing the full beam but not both also i would like the fog lights to come on with the full beam when you push the stalk forward?

3 hours ago, nemauson said:

Try following this how-to. It is written for a Golf mk7 but it should work also for you. I've made it today and it worked perfectly on my FL 

http://forum.obdeleven.com/thread/1033/high-beam-fog-light

Thanks i did use those instructions before and it worked for the full beam but it cancelled the coding for the cornering lights I was hoping to be able to have all the adaptations working ie cornering lights and the fog lights with the full beam

You can indeed have it all, you want something like:

A = fog light left

B = cornering light left

AB dimmerwert = 100%

C = main beam

D = flash to pass

CD dimmerwert = 100%

1 hour ago, xpower said:

You can indeed have it all, you want something like:

A = fog light left

B = cornering light left

AB dimmerwert = 100%

C = main beam

D = flash to pass

CD dimmerwert = 100%

I thought you would be the one to know how thank you would you mind if I sent you a private message to get the instructions how to do it or would you mind posting it here once again thank you

Try the following channel modifications:

Left fog light

ENG116948-ENG116105-Leuchte12NL LB45-Dimmwert AB 12 = 100 (channel A&B brightness)

ENG116948-ENG116109-Leuchte12NL LB45-Dimmwert CD 12 = 100 (channel C&D brightness)

ENG116948-ENG116110-Leuchte12NL LB45-Dimming Direction CD 12 = Maximise (so the bulb will light)

ENG116948-ENG116103-Leuchte12NL LB45-Lichtfunktion A 12 = Nebellicht links (fog light left)

ENG116948-ENG116104-Leuchte12NL LB45-Lichtfunktion B 12 = Abbiegelicht links (Cornering light left)

ENG116948-ENG116107-Leuchte12NL LB45-Lichtfunktion C 12 = left high beam (main beam)

ENG116948-ENG116108-Leuchte12NL LB45-Lichtfunktion D 12 = lichthupe generell (Flashing main beam)

Right Fog light

ENG116949-ENG116124-Leuchte13NL RB5-Dimmwert AB 13 = 100 (channel A&B brightness)

ENG116949-ENG116128-Leuchte13NL RB5-Dimmwert CD 13 = 100 (channel C&D brightness)

ENG116949-ENG116129-Leuchte13NL RB5-Dimming Direction CD 13 = Maximise (so the bulb will light)

ENG116949-ENG116122-Leuchte13NL RB5-Lichtfunktion A 13 = Nebellicht rechts (fog light left)

ENG116949-ENG116123-Leuchte13NL RB5-Lichtfunktion B 13 = Abbiegelicht rechts (cornering light right)

ENG116949-ENG116564-Leuchte13NL RB5-Lichtfunktion C 13 = right high beam (main beam)

ENG116949-ENG116127-Leuchte13NL RB5-Lichtfunktion D 13 = lichthupe generell (Flashing main beam)

Hopefully I have the left and rights the 'right' way round (pun intended) :D

• Like 1

I would like people in the UK to use Fog Lights when there is Fog.  & as per the UK Highway code.

Not blinding or dazzling other road users.

If the Side Lights, and dipped beam and full beam is not enough in a town, or out of town them maybe fitting additions Driving Lights or Spot Lights might be an idea, then they can be used when there are no others about to be seeing them.

Or get proper Cornering Lights.

Worst stupid thing EU type approval seems to allow, Front Fog Lights automatically come on as reverse is selected, and that can be regardless of who is coming towards the front of the vehicle.  That is Dazzling other road users maybe without a thought of what is being done, and the lack of need to do it.

2 hours ago, AwaoffSki said:

I would like people in the UK to use Fog Lights when there is Fog.  & as per the UK Highway code.

If the Side Lights, and dipped beam and full beam is not enough in a town, or out of town them maybe fitting additions Driving Lights or Spot Lights might be an idea, then they can be used when there are no others about to be seeing them.

Worst stupid thing EU type approval seems to allow, Front Fog Lights automatically come on as reverse is selected, and that can be regardless of who is coming towards the front of the vehicle.  That is Dazzling other road users maybe without a thought of what is being done, and the lack of need to do it.

I am not intending on driving around with my fog lights on all the time I just want the extra light when needed. I agree in the past I would have fitted extra driving lights but that is not an option available to me on this car. I only want the fog lamps to come on with the full beam and at the moment they are set up as cornering lights as per the factory 

3 hours ago, xpower said:

Try the following channel modifications:

Left fog light

ENG116948-ENG116105-Leuchte12NL LB45-Dimmwert AB 12 = 100 (channel A&B brightness)

ENG116948-ENG116109-Leuchte12NL LB45-Dimmwert CD 12 = 100 (channel C&D brightness)

ENG116948-ENG116110-Leuchte12NL LB45-Dimming Direction CD 12 = Maximise (so the bulb will light)

ENG116948-ENG116103-Leuchte12NL LB45-Lichtfunktion A 12 = Nebellicht links (fog light left)

ENG116948-ENG116104-Leuchte12NL LB45-Lichtfunktion B 12 = Abbiegelicht links (Cornering light left)

ENG116948-ENG116107-Leuchte12NL LB45-Lichtfunktion C 12 = left high beam (main beam)

ENG116948-ENG116108-Leuchte12NL LB45-Lichtfunktion D 12 = lichthupe generell (Flashing main beam)

Right Fog light

ENG116949-ENG116124-Leuchte13NL RB5-Dimmwert AB 13 = 100 (channel A&B brightness)

ENG116949-ENG116128-Leuchte13NL RB5-Dimmwert CD 13 = 100 (channel C&D brightness)

ENG116949-ENG116129-Leuchte13NL RB5-Dimming Direction CD 13 = Maximise (so the bulb will light)

ENG116949-ENG116122-Leuchte13NL RB5-Lichtfunktion A 13 = Nebellicht rechts (fog light left)

ENG116949-ENG116123-Leuchte13NL RB5-Lichtfunktion B 13 = Abbiegelicht rechts (cornering light right)

ENG116949-ENG116564-Leuchte13NL RB5-Lichtfunktion C 13 = right high beam (main beam)

ENG116949-ENG116127-Leuchte13NL RB5-Lichtfunktion D 13 = lichthupe generell (Flashing main beam)

Hopefully I have the left and rights the 'right' way round (pun intended) :D

thank you for taking the time to do this

7 hours ago, AwaoffSki said:

Do standard fog lights actually dazzle other road users though. They're not set high enough. 

I've never known front fog lights to come on when reverse is selected! Which cars do this? 

I understand the old Saxos with stupidly bright aftermarket fog lights bulbs but even this is a thing of the past now. 

• Confused 1

?

Are there only vehicles about with 'Standard Fog Lights'?  

I see plenty with 'Non OEM' lights / Bulbs, useless if needed to drive in 'Fog'.

'Fog Lights; are not part of a UK MOT.

Yes Skoda Yeti and other models can be set to put on Front Fog Lights or one front Fog light as you select reverse, 'Cornering in reverse' Fof Lights.

and there are plenty that post on this forum on how to do it.

They say to help reversing so they can see the front corner.

But it automatically puts on the Front Fogs, even say you are on a road and away to reverse into a drive way.

That is the issue, some drivers drive vehicles with no idea what the car does with lights, and never go look.

Collecting a new or used car you should then know what your lights do, or what has been activated,

As to Front Fogs blinding or dazzling, have you never seen that.

Some people up-Grade Front Fog Lights, and have cornering Fog Lights.

?

Have you never driven through road works for the car waiting to come through when the lights change for them to go have the steering wheel turned and put a front fog on dazzling you are towards it.

Road users are not just in cars, they can be on bikes, pedestrians, etc. His is them putting a fog or cornering light as you approach them, 

not that 'Simply Clever'.

Same thing on country roads, cars at different levels, sitting with lights pointing up as you crest a brow or around a junction / corner.

If you never see these things then maybe they are not there, or you just never see them, 

they can be a rural issue.

If there is nobody to dazzle as you go around a corner / junction in the countryside then use Full Beam, if Full Beam is not Suitable then how is Sidelight, Dipped Beam and 1 or 2 Front Fog Lights?

If you are in a town / city and can not see well without a Fog light on, should you really be driving?

Edited by AwaoffSki

13 hours ago, Swirly182 said:

I've never known front fog lights to come on when reverse is selected! Which cars do this? 

My Octavia with cornering fogs certainly does. It's in the handbook.

The CORNER function is switched on automatically if the following conditions are met:

The turn signal is switched on or the front wheels are turned sharply to the right or left1).

The vehicle is stopped or moves at a speed of no more than 40 km/h.

The engine is running.

The daytime running lights are not switched on.

The low beam is switched on or the light switch is in the position  and the low beam is switched on.

The fog lights are not switched on.
Note The two fog lights are switched on when you shift into the reverse gear. 

Lee

Edited by logiclee

Yes reverse AND input of the steering wheel. My 1 series did this. I was never concerned about blinding other drivers because they quite simply didn't. 

5 minutes ago, Swirly182 said:

Yes reverse AND input of the steering wheel. My 1 series did this. I was never concerned about blinding other drivers because they quite simply didn't. 

No, just tried it. As soon as I select reverse both front fogs come on. Not touched the steering wheel.

Handbook doesn't mention steering input. Note The two fog lights are switched on when you shift into the reverse gear. 

They would only dazzle me if I was laid on the floor within 2 metres of the car though.

Lee

Edited by logiclee

1 hour ago, logiclee said:

My Octavia with cornering fogs certainly does. It's in the handbook.

The CORNER function is switched on automatically if the following conditions are met:

The turn signal is switched on or the front wheels are turned sharply to the right or left1).

The vehicle is stopped or moves at a speed of no more than 40 km/h.

The engine is running.

The daytime running lights are not switched on.

The low beam is switched on or the light switch is in the position  and the low beam is switched on.

The fog lights are not switched on.
Note The two fog lights are switched on when you shift into the reverse gear. 

Lee

Seconded!  My front fogs also activate the cornering function when I reverse off my drive after dark....  however, they only actually illuminate when some steering input is applied.  ie. I reverse in a straight line to start with, and it's only when I begin to apply left lock that the left fog illuminates.  Once out on the road and I then apply lock to the right, the left fog goes off and the right comes on for a short while as I pull away.

1 hour ago, TechyDonkey said:

Seconded!  My front fogs also activate the cornering function when I reverse off my drive after dark....  however, they only actually illuminate when some steering input is applied.  ie. I reverse in a straight line to start with, and it's only when I begin to apply left lock that the left fog illuminates.  Once out on the road and I then apply lock to the right, the left fog goes off and the right comes on for a short while as I pull away.

So is the VRS different to other models and not as stated in the handbook/manual?

Both left and right fogs instantly come on as soon as reverse is selected on mine and that is what the manual says should happen.

Lee

3 hours ago, logiclee said:

So is the VRS different to other models and not as stated in the handbook/manual?

Both left and right fogs instantly come on as soon as reverse is selected on mine and that is what the manual says should happen.

Lee

Mine come on in reverse as well. Mine have been activated by me recently as vRSes the same age as mine never came with the cornering fogs option. It was a missprint in the brochure apparently. You can activate them though, so I have no idea why Skoda didn’t allow it as an option.

I have done most of the common changes over the last couple of weeks with almost no problems. It was all surprisingly straightforward as a result of the information on here.

This one I just can't get to go. I have A & B ok but not C. I wondered if the fact that I have activated High Beam Assist previously may be having some impact.

Any observations or suggestions?    MTIA

Thanks  xpower - apologies for the delay.

C is from your schema above - High Beam.

I am new to this so am not sure what an adaption map is. I have attached a backup of the 09 Control Unit hoping this will do.

Thanks again

John

history.txt

On 08/03/2018 at 17:19, logiclee said:

No, just tried it. As soon as I select reverse both front fogs come on. Not touched the steering wheel.

Handbook doesn't mention steering input. Note The two fog lights are switched on when you shift into the reverse gear. 

They would only dazzle me if I was laid on the floor within 2 metres of the car though.

Lee

Front fog lights can dazzle. Not in all situations but in enough to make their use inconsiderate when conditions don't warrant them.

Sure, they are mounted and are aimed low, but over longer distances they can be much brighter compared to taking a quick look at them on your drive. Also if the road surface is wet and shiny they reflect along the road surface, and as with regular headlights their intensity varies with your road position, i.e. as you crest a hill or dip, and at night they can be as bright as a pair of dipped headlights on some cars.

More and more cars are utilising LED's for the front fogs now too, such as the Range Rover Evoque and Skoda Kodiaq. They are mounted high too.

My Skoda Superb utilises the front fog lights to perform the role of cornering lights and they are useful, they do make life easier on darker rural roads. It has to be said though that I've not yet benefited from both front fog lights coming on in reverse, the idea being they help illuminate bollards and low walls etc. when the front end swings wide.

I have had the occasional flash from other road users who haven't yet learnt of the increasing trend for combined fog / cornering lights and don't realise I haven't intentionally turned the front fog lights on.

• Like 1

If people need to put extra lights on at the front to be able to reverse then why not just physically switch on your front Fog lights with the switch rather than automatically have it happen just by selecting reverse regardless of the location or situation.

Fog lights can dazzle, as said above, different elevations, and even if Type Approval has allowed them, seeing as they are Fog Lights as a pair the UK 

Highway Code tells you about 'FOG LIGHTS' and reduced visibility, and when to use or not use them.

If there are no road users, or pavement users to see your FOG Lights,  then you might as well put your Full Beam on to Reverse, 

remembering that all road and pavement users are not in Motor Vehicles, they can be walking or cycling.

Plenty people dip headlights as they approach people walking or cycling, and the fog lights should not be on going forward when no Fog, 

what makes them OK going in reverse?

Your Extra Lights to the front can stop another persons good vision when just illuminating automatically as you swing a car around in reverse.

Edited by AwaoffSki

But we are not just talking adaptions here.

The reverse function is factory enabled, fully legal in the UK and has full EU type approval.

It's there for all to see in the handbook.

Lee

• Thanks 1

Yes fully legal, unless you dazzle.

Like 2,500 Lumen bike lights turned on and shining right at the driver is if they do not dip or put off their front fogs.

Dazzling not legal though.

EU Type approval  and Construction & Use and the UK Highway Code Grey Areas, and UK Traffic Law allowing many things.

There are VW Group vehicles that have Auto Hold and no rear brake lights showing, and others where they stay on when stopped. 

Those that like to not be sitting for prolonged stops with rear brake lights on when vehicles are behind yet might have no idea which system their car has, 

just like those with Front Fogs automatically on as they reverse.

Edited by AwaoffSki