Remap

is there any way to tell if a remap has been done on a car, sounds silly i know but the DSG 170 estate we have recently bought is ridiculously quick, bear in mind previous cars have included a ZTT 260 and quite a few Turbo motors and V8s but among all those with the exception of the MG this is the only one i can recall actually squats when you floor it at 90  and pushes you back in the seat not complaining just curious is all.

stuck it in sport yesterday and floored it away from a start on the M6 toll rd after paying it really does feel monstrous quick 60 came up in no time

Yes, you can get a dump from the BSI (with the required equipment and software of course) and compare the current map to the stock for the car/engine in question.

You could check the 0-60 time against the standard 170 published time.

I bought a 140cr dsg late last year and thought it was quick. It's 0-60 is around 8.2 - the standard car is 10.2. I guess it has been remapped to around 180hp.

Fats

That doesn't prove anything, you could have various physical modifications done to the car that could give you the same end result, the OP asked about the remap, what I've described is the only bulletproof way of knowing what was done (or wasn't) in that department

I traded in a few re-mapped cars in a know for a fact they generally aren't returned to standard.

The buyer of my old 1.9 TDi Roomster got a pretty quick car and the Mk I vRS Octavia I purchased from a main-dealer turned out to have a remap on it. I only discovered this when I took it to be remapped and was told it already had one on!

1 minute ago, pinkpanther said:

I traded in a few re-mapped cars in a know for a fact they generally aren't returned to standard.

There's a simple explanation - you'll get charged for the roll-back (which is free if the car experiences issues after getting one done), so no one wants to pay to get it back to stock when they want to sell it ... and somehow the remapped cars tend to have larger interest while on the market than regular ones

2 minutes ago, fatscoleymo said:

What is the BSI?

Only the most important electrical part of the car (next to the car battery), think of it as a central computer, when the car diag is being done, the OBD port is a direct link to it (and from then on, yo can communicate with every other part of the car)

You won't see the map/remap data in the VCDS printout, you'd need the usual software that is being used is for tuning: mpss, kess v2, galleto, ktag ... depending on the car's ECU and what you want to do with the car's engine parameters

Removed at OP's request.

Edited by john999boy
OP posted incorrect info and asked for his post to be deleted.

I wouldn't bet on that as the clear indication, the DSG has an auto-learn auto-adapt feature that "learns" the driver's driving preference over time ... two car's with the same gearbox can have different shifting timings ...

mmm dont do 70 lol at 85 i get 52 at best which am happy with shifts are around those speeds when plodding round town/dual carrigeways, ahh well guess i will have to try a 0-60 on a dry day and see what it does as for learning the gear changes bot my wife and I drive it .

1 minute ago, cssuk said:

as for learning the gear changes bot my wife and I drive it

Doesn't matter, the car takes an average of all drives you make into equation ... to have the gearbox "forget" the previous setting could take several thousand miles with a very different driving style (unless you manually reset its adaptation via VCDS or VAG-COM)

4 minutes ago, Greenline3Matt said:

The best way is to get it in the rolling road. You can probably get a power run for about £50 at your local rollers. That way you find out for sure and you get a print out! 

Read my 2nd post in this topic, what you'd get on the rollers as an answer is only the consequence, but you don't know the source ... it might be a remap, and it usually is, but is not limited to only remaps

• 3 weeks later...

ok so same journey Today same situation but this time I had a stopwatch to time it paid by card barrier goes up, put it in sport and floor it 0-60 just under 7  seconds going south and the same (7.1 to be exact) coming back up in fact that was probably the quickest I got all the way home such was the Mway issues Today with the M6 and M60 now I know my speedo is slightly out so indicated 60 is in fact about 58 so I made sure it was at 62ish, all in all not a very scientific experiment but I knew it  felt  quick am happy enough with the outcome

More or less accurate readings for amateurs you can get with some OBD2 device and Torque app installed.

But doing 0 - 60 in 7 rough seconds indicate you have fair 200+ horses under the bonnet.