Which options don't you use? What would you rather have had?

Reading the threads on country options, paddles etc got me thinking. Which options don't you use or wouldn't you buy again? And what do you regret not getting? It's a bit moot for me as I buy ex-demo, but I'll start.

Unused / wouldn't pay for:

1. Launch control. Never used it, probably never will.

2. Autopark. Used once, won't use again. 

3. Start-stop. Hate it with a passion. 

Wanted but didn't get:

1. SLA: less than a hundred quid on the L&K but hundreds and a royal PITA to retrofit. Why can't it just be standard on the flagship model?

2. TSR: easy enough to code I know, but wish it had been enabled.

Finally, stuff I would pay extra for if it wasn't standard on mine:

1. DCC, LA, ALG. Brilliant 

2. Canton. Won't buy a car without it (or similar) again. 

3. Dealer VCDS coding. Might be controversial since many don't trust dealers with a screwdriver let alone a VCP cable. But I would love to be able to try out mods then reverse if I didn't like them without having to rely on a friendly VCDS owner being nearby. 

Thoughts? Might be as well to mention what is in the options pack you bought as they seem to be so different between countries. 

• Like 1

I wish I ticked the 280 TSi 4x4 option on my Sportline. 

However I’m getting this retrofitted next month. 

Apart from that I’m actually really pleased with the options I picked and would (actually have) spec’d them again:

Canton

Heated screen

TSR - only ordered to enable HBA via VCDS 

Heated nozzles

Heated front seats

Power boot 

Spare Wheel 

Front parking sensors

Rear Wiper 

I’ve actually spec’d front and rear heated seats on the 280 as my eldest is now out of car seats and my youngest will be soon. 

After a year of Superb 3 ownership I’m able to say it’s the best car I’ve had and as an all round package it’s still the one I’d go for. 

Edited by penguin17

3 minutes ago, BriskodaJeff said:

Wanted but didn't get:

1. SLA: less than a hundred quid on the L&K but hundreds and a royal PITA to retrofit. Why can't it just be standard on the flagship model?

3. Dealer VCDS coding. Might be controversial since many don't trust dealers with a screwdriver let alone a VCP cable. But I would love to be able to try out mods then reverse if I didn't like them without having to rely on a friendly VCDS owner being nearby. 

Thoughts? Might be as well to mention what is in the options pack you bought as they seem to be so different between countries. 

1. Launch control. Never used it, probably never will. Agreed

2. Autopark. Used once, won’t use again. Love mine... but mainly for the extra sensors you get

3. Start-stop. Hate it with a passion. Not an option to un-spec it, so I turned it off with VCDS

1. SLA: less than a hundred quid on the L&K but hundreds and a royal PITA to retrofit. Why can’t it just be standard on the flagship model? Yes should be std on the L&K and it would be a deal breaker for me.

2. TSR: easy enough to code I know, but wish it had been enabled. Coded mine

1. DCC, LA, ALG. Brilliant Agreed 

2. Canton. Won't buy a car without it (or similar) again. Agreed

3. Dealer VCDS coding. Might be controversial since many don't trust dealers with a screwdriver let alone a VCP cable. But I would love to be able to try out mods then reverse if I didn’t like them without having to rely on a friendly VCDS owner being nearby. Won’t officially happen as it would go against their ethics (charge stupid money for something that is simply a coding change)

Things I would add to your list:

4x4 ... should of specced it really

Rear wiper, glad I didn’t choose this (free) option, as it spoils the looks of the rear of the hatch and in 40K miles I can honestly say (my rear screen is treated with Gtechniq) I have NEVER needed one, the aerodynamics of the car is good enough to keep the rear screen clear and clean. (I do reverse park everywhere though so do not need to clear the screen to reverse out of a parking slot... the rear camera also helps)

Ventilated seats... love them

19” wheels (especially on the L&K) the best looking wheels on any Superb IMO and the ride quality doesn’t suffer. 

Heated screen & Heated nozzles... both should be std on the L&K IMO

Heated steering wheel... wasn’t an option at the time, but would order it after driving a car (Hyundai) with it.

I’m sure there are things I have missed.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BriskodaJeff said:

Reading the threads on country options, paddles etc got me thinking. Which options don't you use or wouldn't you buy again? And what do you regret not getting? It's a bit moot for me as I buy ex-demo, but I'll start.

Wanted but didn't get:

Erm...I don’t know what half of these abbreviations stand for.

May be I need the technical dictionary option on my Superb.

• Like 1

I have almost all the equipment in my car but heres a list:

Missing:

- 4 wheel drive, this would be cool but not at the price difference there is at the moment.

Best options that I use regularly:

- Heated and ventilated seats, these are great

- 9,2inch Columbus navigation with google maps satellite image

- External heater (I use this all the time when the temp is below 10celsius, great to step in a warm car)

- Canton (excellent sound)

- Variable boot floor (Its great to have a flat floor and store some brochures and crap below, I'm a sales guy)

- Heated steering wheel (I use it even though I have the heater, its fun)

- Heated screen

- rear view camera, this is excellent

- ACC (never a car without this anymore)

- Lane assist (this is ok on motorways, not a must though)

- Automatic nighttime headlights (really cool to never have to switch the long lights off)

- Traffic sign recognition (awesome)

- Black roof interior with black leather seats, looks good and not too dark and depressing with the panoramic roof

- Hinges that fold down the back seats from the boot (works)

- Front parking sensors (a must have)

- Inside 'mood' lightning. (I love this in the dark)

- SIM card option so you can turn your car to a wifi hotspot and see the google maps satellite navigation

Not so good options:

- Shifting paddles (not really necessary)

- DCC (I use it but I think the normal mode is best and the normal suspension would be just fine)

- Heated rear seats (Don't have anybody back there usually so useless)

- Panoramic roof (Now this looks really cool and I took it as I have a company car and this is included in L&K here in Finland but would not pay my own money for it)

- Massage option on the seat is useless, came with the ventilation and included in L&K though

- Auto parking (Nice gimmick and occasionally used but wouldn't pay extra for it)

- 230volt outlet in the back (not really needed)

- Kick opening for boot (Its fun, I use it but would be perfectly fine without)

- Apple car play (I use it but its mostly just crap)

Edited by FixxaH

Panoramic sunroof. I don't really like sunroofs and it sits with the blind closed 99% of the time.

Will likely never use the tow ball either :D

The only thing I'm missing, and which was meant to be on the car, is the SIM slot and although it would be handy as I said in the other thread, I don't really miss it.

14 minutes ago, FixxaH said:

Not so good options:

- Panoramic roof (Now this looks really cool and I took it as I have a company car and this is included in L&K here in Finland but would not pay my own money for it)

- Massage option on the seat is useless, came with the ventilation and included in L&K though

Not a lover on the Panoramic roof either, got one on the Yeti (FOC as it is included on the L&K) and I can count on two hands the amount of times the blind has been open... let alone the roof, in 4 years.

Whats so useless with the massaging seats? this is an option I would consider in the future as I suffer with back issues.

I love the Virtual Pedal, especially when the boot is dirty so I don’t have to touch it.

Apple car play isn’t great I must admit, so I rarely use it.

1 hour ago, Gizmo said:

Not a lover on the Panoramic roof either, got one on the Yeti (FOC as it is included on the L&K) and I can count on two hands the amount of times the blind has been open... let alone the roof, in 4 years.

Whats so useless with the massaging seats? this is an option I would consider in the future as I suffer with back issues.

I love the Virtual Pedal, especially when the boot is dirty so I don’t have to touch it.

Apple car play isn’t great I must admit, so I rarely use it.

The massaging seats really just pump the lumbar support back and forth so you really don't get a proper massage, it's totally a gimmick. If it was a real massage I would not complain. The virtual pedal is kind of a nice feature but usually I don't carry any stuff around that much that I could not press the boot opening button on the key so wouldn't pay for it as an optional extra. The electric boot opening is a must though.

Edited by FixxaH
  • Like 1

Sorry @MorrisOx I'm on a phone so went for brevity. Smart Light Assist, Adaptive cruise control, lane assist, Adaptive lane guidance, traffic sign recognition. And vcds allows people who are cleverer than me to add features that are disabled at the factory. I think that's all of the TLAs covered...:biggrin:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, FixxaH said:

I have almost all the equipment in my car but heres a list:

Missing:

- 4 wheel drive, this would be cool but not at the price difference there is at the moment.

Best options that I use regularly:

- Heated and ventilated seats, these are great

- 9,2inch Columbus navigation with google maps satellite image

- External heater (I use this all the time when the temp is below 10celsius, great to step in a warm car)

- Canton (excellent sound)

- Variable boot floor (Its great to have a flat floor and store some brochures and crap below, I'm a sales guy)

- Heated steering wheel (I use it even though I have the heater, its fun)

- Heated screen

- rear view camera, this is excellent

- ACC (never a car without this anymore)

- Lane assist (this is ok on motorways, not a must though)

- Automatic nighttime headlights (really cool to never have to switch the long lights off)

- Traffic sign recognition (awesome)

- Black roof interior with black leather seats, looks good and not too dark and depressing with the panoramic roof

- Hinges that fold down the back seats from the boot (works)

- Front parking sensors (a must have)

- Inside 'mood' lightning. (I love this in the dark)

- SIM card option so you can turn your car to a wifi hotspot and see the google maps satellite navigation

Not so good options:

- Shifting paddles (not really necessary)

- DCC (I use it but I think the normal mode is best and the normal suspension would be just fine)

- Heated rear seats (Don't have anybody back there usually so useless)

- Auto parking (Nice gimmick and occasionally used but wouldn't pay extra for it)

- 230volt outlet in the back (not really needed)

Didn't want to use topic for negative feedback or anything like that, but just wanted to put note on DCC for you. DCC on normal mode does most work compared to other modes (In sport it just goes 100% hard (the valve closes) and on Comfort its 99% open valve) so you do benefit A LOT from DCC. In normal mode before wheel falls into hole it makes the dumper hard, once it hits bottom it softens it so you feel less  bump. Also when heavily accelerating/braking car makes suspension hard. So DCC is doing a lot of work for you but you just don't know about it. I had non-dcc replacement for 2 days and it drove me nuts. Would never EVER spec without DCC again.

Above people wrote TSR is easy to enable (that's with valves and actual reading of wheel pressure)??? how is that easy to enable? Can some one point me to direction where to get all this? (Can it be enabled via ODB11?) I would really appriciate this thing cause I drive fast on high ways (I travel to Germany often) and some times i'm literally scared for blown tyres because I don't check pressure before ^^. So readings would calm me down heh ^^

What I absolutely love and use often (would go for it again):
- Canton 
- SLA

- DCC

- Heated steering wheel (in cold winter times, its awesome!!!)
- Heating seats
- XDS (enabled via ODB11)

- Alarm (its very low profile, you don't know its there but it works good)

- Android Auto (very useful when traveling to unknown ^^)

What I'd love to get but wasn't an option or didn't take at the time:
- Heated windshield
- Quieter front windows - not sure how its called (spec since 2018 model in Slovenia), I have MY18 but in configuration they didn't have option at the time of order and they didn't tell me its possible to order
- DSG (with paddles)

Would not spec (or would remove)
- DAB+ (never listening to radio sadly - might change in future though)

- Lane assist (not using it, tested but its annoying to me. Rather not have it at all, it also doesn't keep car on middle of lane but always going little left/right (could be an issue?))
- ACC (not using it, tested but I just drive too dynamic and it usually makes driving unpleasant for me)

Hi @JackySi - TSR is traffic sign recognition. It uses the camera to recognise traffic signs in real time and report them on the maxi-dot. It can be enabled through vcds or obdeleven, though I haven't done it yet so don't know how. Thanks for the information on DCC. I guess you were asking about TPMS tyre pressure monitoring? This is standard on mine- I don't know if it can be retrofitted sorry. 

Edited by BriskodaJeff

Ours is a 1.4 TSi 150 PS SE so no fancy stuff like the top models. Only options we specified were dark rear tints, folding passenger seat and metallic paint, no regret with those three.

Love ACC but don't think I would pay extra, we haven't on the wifes Fabia.

Love climate (over normal A/C) but cannot see the point in 3 zone climate, to be honest cannot see the point in 2 zone. Wifes Nissan has climate but its only one zone and is fine and that is what the Fabia has. Its a car after all and not a house with many rooms. How on earth can you keep different areas of a tin box at different temps.

Stop/Start is marmite to most people but all I will say is that since 2008 when we bought the first car with the system fitted we have saved probably £1500 in VED on our cars compared to the previous models that did not have it fitted. That and the fact that not belching out exhaust fumes whilst you are sat in traffic make it worthwhile to me.

10 minutes ago, BriskodaJeff said:

Hi @JackySi - TSR is traffic sign recognition. It uses the camera to recognise traffic signs in real time and report them on the maxi-dot. It can be enabled through vcds or obdeleven, though I haven't done it yet so don't know how. Thanks for the information on DCC. I guess you were asking about TPMS tyre pressure monitoring? This is standard on mine- I don't know if it can be retrofitted sorry. 

That was my mistake yes. Not sure why i messed up the terms. I meant TPMS with sensors ^^ my bad! I tried enabling TSR but didn't work well because I have no GPS (Bolero instead of Amudsen/Columbus). Leaving town, High ways, etc didn't work so i found it very useless ^^

54 minutes ago, JackySi said:

Didn't want to use topic for negative feedback or anything like that, but just wanted to put note on DCC for you. DCC on normal mode does most work compared to other modes (In sport it just goes 100% hard (the valve closes) and on Comfort its 99% open valve) so you do benefit A LOT from DCC. In normal mode before wheel falls into hole it makes the dumper hard, once it hits bottom it softens it so you feel less  bump. Also when heavily accelerating/braking car makes suspension hard. So DCC is doing a lot of work for you but you just don't know about it. I had non-dcc replacement for 2 days and it drove me nuts. Would never EVER spec without DCC again.

Above people wrote TSR is easy to enable (that's with valves and actual reading of wheel pressure)??? how is that easy to enable? Can some one point me to direction where to get all this? (Can it be enabled via ODB11?) I would really appriciate this thing cause I drive fast on high ways (I travel to Germany often) and some times i'm literally scared for blown tyres because I don't check pressure before ^^. So readings would calm me down heh ^^

What I absolutely love and use often (would go for it again):
- Canton 
- SLA

- DCC

- Heated steering wheel (in cold winter times, its awesome!!!)
- Heating seats
- XDS (enabled via ODB11)

- Alarm (its very low profile, you don't know its there but it works good)

- Android Auto (very useful when traveling to unknown ^^)

What I'd love to get but wasn't an option or didn't take at the time:
- Heated windshield
- Quieter front windows - not sure how its called (spec since 2018 model in Slovenia), I have MY18 but in configuration they didn't have option at the time of order and they didn't tell me its possible to order
- DSG (with paddles)

Would not spec (or would remove)
- DAB+ (never listening to radio sadly - might change in future though)

- Lane assist (not using it, tested but its annoying to me. Rather not have it at all, it also doesn't keep car on middle of lane but always going little left/right (could be an issue?))
- ACC (not using it, tested but I just drive too dynamic and it usually makes driving unpleasant for me)

Your probably right about the DCC, I really can't compare to normal suspension as I haven't driven one but the "normal" on the DCC is very smooth and good. Sport makes it hard and this really isn't a sports car so thats useless but I do turn it on Comfort on the motorways, can't make a huge difference to normal though.

I have the laminated front windows also on mine but can't compare that either to a car without them.

I wonder why people in Britain don't spec the aux heater more often as thats a really neat feature and you can just start it from your phone with a mobile app or then time from the cell so its always warm when you start to work for example. In the summer it works also as a ventilation so you can start the ventilation on hot sunny days before entering the car. I know we have a few degrees colder here in southern Finland then over there but its not exactly sunshine and paradise all year around there either :)

Oh and btw I was just to the store with my both hands full of shopping bags and the virtual pedal came in really handy, just after I posted that its a useless function :) . I think I start to like all the options on this car, its one hell of a vehicle..

Edited by FixxaH

3 minutes ago, FixxaH said:

I wonder why people in Britain don't spec the aux heater more often as thats a really neat feature and you can just start it from your phone with a mobile app or then time from the cell so its always warm when you start to work for example. In the summer it works also as a ventilation so you can start the ventilation on hot sunny days before entering the car. I know we have a few degrees colder here in southern Finland then over there but its not exactly sunshine and paradise all year around there either :)

I don't think this is even an option in the UK, though I understand it can be retrofitted. 

40 minutes ago, JackySi said:

That was my mistake yes. Not sure why i messed up the terms. I meant TPMS with sensors ^^ my bad! I tried enabling TSR but didn't work well because I have no GPS (Bolero instead of Amudsen/Columbus). Leaving town, High ways, etc didn't work so i found it very useless ^^

Yes TSR isn't much use without navigation :biggrin:. Re TPMS I seem to remember reading on here that we don't have "proper" tyre pressure monitoring, but a sensor on the ABS unit that measures the shape of the wheel and reports a change in shape as a pressure loss. If that is true then it's probably just as easy to fit an after-market system as to retrofit what we have.

5 minutes ago, BriskodaJeff said:

I don't think this is even an option in the UK, though I understand it can be retrofitted. 

Oh, Well thats weird again as they do a factory install for it at the manufacturing plant which makes the heater automatic in cold weather. I think it starts the heater in under +5temp automatically if you start the car in cold and haven't remembered to put it on so it brings heat faster to the car also.

If you retrofit one there might be problems with the mobile app and the automation so then I really do understand why you have these heaters so little :)

4 minutes ago, FixxaH said:

Oh, Well thats weird again as they do a factory install for it at the manufacturing plant which makes the heater automatic in cold weather. I think it starts the heater in under +5temp automatically if you start the car in cold and haven't remembered to put it on so it brings heat faster to the car also.

If you retrofit one there might be problems with the mobile app and the automation so then I really do understand why you have these heaters so little :)

This is one of the reasons I started this thread :biggrin:. The options are weirdly different depending on where you live. For example, as I understand it  the alarm is an option in Ireland:o, which I find ridiculous of Skoda, yet they get some cool stuff as standard that we have to pay for in the UK.

The alarm is an option here in Finland also even though we get about everything in the L&K model otherwise including the heater I was talking about and the laminated windows. the only options for L&K are the alarm, progressive steering and dsg peddles. And ofcourse different types of rims if you want to play with those.

The black roof interior was not on the list here either but I got it for an extra 94eur just because I happened to ask for it as I had it in my ex. Volvo

Progressive steering? That's another new one on me:D. Unless it is standard on my L&K, I can only guess  it isn't available to us in the UK. I've never even heard of it, much less seen it on a spec sheet.. Is it any good?

These are in order as they occurred to me:

Bi-Xenon headlights are listed as an option on my Sportline. I love the way they switch automatically on the continent.

I use my sunroof as often as I can (as recently as last week). Like others, I wouldn't pay for it, it came with my ex-demo. I love it. Even the shade you can open to let the light in when the roof is closed.

Gizmo coded my TSR. Excellent. Wrong sometimes, so A-minus.

The DSG. I'll never own another manual.

ACC is wonderful and I love it, but so often on crowded British roads, it's just as easy to pay attention and drive the car yourself. The worst thing about ACC, well, one thing: if you leave a safe distance between you and the car in front, somebody will pull in the gap. Then, the car brakes and repeat ad infinitum. You feel like your going backwards.

DCC. I've played with this a lot, even setting up different individual styles. Mostly, I leave it in normal. It's a good compromise and the mode light stays off (this is the OCD part).

Both front seats are heated, which has come in handy recently.

I am the only driver, but have three different settings for the electric seat. It's nice to change position, even slightly, during a long trip. Her seat is manual. She never complains since I bumped up the lumbar support a tad.

The spoiler lip on the boot is the most pointless option ever. I'd remove it if I could.

Canton. Full marks. Extravagant, but required.

I rely on the front parking sensors and the rear camera. Who knew you needed them?

The powered mirrors are a necessity when you park on the street.

And, I've been lucky enough to buy an ex-demo car that has not had a single issue that could not be easily corrected at the first service. Wonderful vehicle.

2 hours ago, BriskodaJeff said:

1 hour ago, BriskodaJeff said:

Yes TSR isn't much use without navigation :biggrin:. Re TPMS I seem to remember reading on here that we don't have "proper" tyre pressure monitoring, but a sensor on the ABS unit that measures the shape of the wheel and reports a change in shape as a pressure loss. If that is true then it's probably just as easy to fit an after-market system as to retrofit what we have.

TPMS has been a legal requirement (so std fit) on all new cars in the EU for a few years now

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, BriskodaJeff said:

Progressive steering? That's another new one on me:D. Unless it is standard on my L&K, I can only guess  it isn't available to us in the UK. I've never even heard of it, much less seen it on a spec sheet.. Is it any good?

Would be nice to try, could be useful on the parking lot so you don't need to turn the steering wheel that much.

10 hours ago, FixxaH said:

The massaging seats really just pump the lumbar support back and forth so you really don't get a proper massage, it's totally a gimmick. If it was a real massage I would not complain. The virtual pedal is kind of a nice feature but usually I don't carry any stuff around that much that I could not press the boot opening button on the key so wouldn't pay for it as an optional extra. The electric boot opening is a must though.

Yes, compared to 'proper' massage functions in Mercedes S-Class etc. it is a complete gimmick.