Bizarre suspension feel

I have a Fabia 1 TDI with 140,000 mile on it. It recently went through a MOT with no advisories and it had its console bushes done at around 60,000 by Skoda. I've tried to describe the different things that are happening below.

• Recently I've noticed that the steering seems vague and just doesn't feel quite right. Its hard to explain but sometimes it feels as if the front wheels snap slightly left or right while going in a straight line, even though the wheel doesn't move. Going around gentle, fairly fast corners also just feels "wrong" and like what you input on the wheel doesn't really translate to what actually happens. There's no clunking or excessive play when moving the wheel with the engine off and the no discernible play in the wheel itself when the car is up on a jack.
  • Another more odd feeling is that coming up to junctions when braking it sometimes feels as if the passenger side wheel turns slightly or drops and comes under the car? It's hard to explain but that's the best I can do. 

Its had new suspension top mounts about 20000 miles ago that were from GSF. In the fabia there is a little dust cover that goes over the top of the strut. I noticed it was missing so replaced it, it has since gone missing again and it seems that the strut is coming up an poking it out. When you bounce the car up and down you can see the strut top moves but only by a couple of millimeters, is this acceptable?

I know its an economy car and isn't meant to be sporty but it just doesn't seem right. Does anyone have any idea what this could be or am I just being over expecting? :blink:

Cheers

The strut top you can see moving through the hole in the strut turret? have you checked the three strut top mount bolts for tightness? If they're tight is possible that the new top mounts and bearings have collapsed? Some parts sold by GSF and ECP can be very low quality with a very short lifespan.

• Like 1

I known that the cover over the suspension tops is jut a trim piece, but as you have mentioned it and you have lost 2 of them, I'd be looking in that area for problems, that should not be happening, in itself is not an issue, but what is causing them to get ejected is.

Edit:- I'm not convinced that the MOT as it stands, would end up commenting on a top bearing if it was seizing up, I have replaced one that was seizing up but it got replaced by me before anything else was happening, for instance that car never lost any top dust covers, it was only the strange feeling and noises when turning that made me examine and replace that top bearing.  These top bearing do seem to do their job, but they are not immune to water and dirt getting into them, and I would always replace them if taking a strut to bits.  The later/latest cars ended up with a small diameter bearing at the top instead of that large diameter one - ie changed design in that area of the car, including new top spring plate and rubber mounting.

Edited by rum4mo
  • Like 1

Thanks for all the replies, very helpful as always!

@KenONeill I've had VCDS plugged in and their are no fault codes, the steering controller is coded for GTI/RS weight setting however I can't really see how this would change anything. I've had a good luck and the spring seems intact and I'm going to check if its seized tonight.

@sepulchraveThe bolts are tight and yeah I've found this out the hard way. The rear mounts I had from them where the correct part but the tolerance were terrible, one fit perfectly and the other was wobbly. Won't be buying again

@rum4moYeah that was my thinking, it's had the original cap for 120,000 miles and now its lost 2 in the space of about 5000. 

Can anyone recommend a good brand for the top mounts. I've heard meyle bearings with sachs mounts is a good option? Also is their any benefit or difference between the standard and vrs/sport variant of the mount?

Thank again

@KenONeill There is actually two variable weight settings for the steering controller and I've tried them both before and they're just really heavy all the time. And nahh the steering feel is more like very light in the centre and then weighting up to constant level as you turn the wheel

• 2 weeks later...

Check those bushings again. They are notorious to fail way too fast.

Also another thing that you might want to check. The air pressure in the tires.

Always check those when the ambient air temperature has changed by 10 to 20 degrees c.

Both top mounts and console bushes sound good suggestions.

When console bushes front axle rear if wishbone went the car seem to have vague steering when braking hard then hard into roundabouts etc. Change console bushes and then go from there. Sound like they are over due.

If you are doing it yourself I bought a kit called Tectake £93. Fraction of cost of laser. Worked for rear axle bushes .