Did your car change to BST?

3 hours ago, BriskodaJeff said:

Mine didn't :sadsmile:. I thought I had it set to do it automatically, but obviously not. Will have to have a play with the settings.

Can be done with your OBDEleven Jeff 

• Thanks 1

Mine didn't.

I had it set to get the time from GPS, and thought this would automatically adjust the time to BST.

I had to go into the time & date settings and check the tickbox for DST to make it change.

18 hours ago, BriskodaJeff said:

Mine didn't :sadsmile:. I thought I had it set to do it automatically, but obviously not. Will have to have a play with the settings.

Mine didn't either - there is a box in time settings on the head unit to tick (2017 SEL Exec)

I got into my car at 12:20 and turned on the radio (ignition off).  The clock on the radio was showing 1:45.

Fifteen minutes later, I turned on the ignition and the correct time was displayed, almost instantly. 

Where is the 'wrong' time being generated?

Mine did not auto update. I don't have built-in Satnav though. In my experience, what tech does and does not automatically flip between BST / GMT (or your local equivalent) is deeply random. My ancient domestic central heating timer does update and that is connected to nothing but the electricity supply. The logic must be hard-coded. On the other hand (or wrist), my nearly new Citizen Satellite Wave GPS watch does not make the switch - because GPS signals do not encode daylight savings data. My cordless digital landline phones did not update.  It's a mess.

1 hour ago, Awed said:

My cordless digital landline phones did not update.  It's a mess.

That reminds me, I called home on Saturday and my other half answered on a corded 'phone, which meant that digital answerphone cut in. When we replayed the message, the answerphone said the message was received on Thursday. 

The digital base station/answerphone gets its time from the network, so I'm not sure why it was two days out. 

37 minutes ago, daveo138 said:

That reminds me, I called home on Saturday and my other half answered on a corded 'phone, which meant that digital answerphone cut in. When we replayed the message, the answerphone said the message was received on Thursday. 

The digital base station/answerphone gets its time from the network, so I'm not sure why it was two days out. 

You may have accidentally invented time travel.  Try leaving yourself an answerphone message detailing this week's winning lottery numbers. With luck, you'll pick the message up before the draw is made.

• Haha 1

Mine is set to get time from GPS. And it did not auto-update and why would it. I doubt it's checking which country you are in to update the time - the USA moved to their summer time weeks ago for example.

7 hours ago, Awed said:

How does that work then? The phone is on an analogue line.... how does it get the time?

The last car that auto-updated was the 1997 Vectra which took the time from the radio signal at Rugby - You could set the clock for any time but after 2-3 minutes it would auto correct.

Looks as if Skoda have not added the BST/GMT switch over function and the database of dates.  I can live with ticking/unticking a box twice a year.

18 hours ago, rtj70 said:

How does that work then? The phone is on an analogue line.... how does it get the time?

I don't know how, I just know that it does. Possibly linked to caller display. 

I've just checked date and time on the 'phone. The date was 27/03/11 for some reason, and the time was still on GMT. I think the time hadn't updated because there hasn't been an incoming call since Saturday. 

I changed the date to 2018, but changed the time to GMT -1, as an experiment. I then called the number and the time updated to BST. 

Edited by daveo138
ipad duplicating words!

On 25/03/2018 at 15:11, Gizmo said:

You probably did, but it doesn’t work!

It can be coded (correctly) with VCDS to auto update however.

As I previously said ^^^^

It is possible, but for some reason Škoda did not code the car to update itself,

built by Škoda.... refined by Ross-Tech :thumbup:

• Like 1

Hypothetical question.... If I took my car to the US would you expect it to adjust to daylight saving time there automatically. Noting that the US goes to daylight saving earlier than the UK - it began on March 11th there.

Is there some rules/logic for all countries about daylight saving? I assume so. But it might be easier to make you adjust it yourself.

Škoda do not sell in the US, so it’s not something that would concern them, but yes if you were mad enough to import a RHD car to the US (surely getting a LHD European would be more sensible?) then you may wish to change the clock yourself... but for the rest of the UK Škoda owners surely it is better to not have to manually change it.

I don’t think I have ever heard anyone say “I wish I had to change the clock myself twice a year... WHY does it do it automatically?” :D

• Like 1

Skoda is merely a brand for the VW group. Apart from minor differences to the outer casing, the Columbus/Bolero are in other VW brand cars such as SEAT and VW.