Superb II 2.0TFSI or 3.6?

Hello to all, I'm considering returning to Skoda ownership after 12 years in a BMW !! 

Once upon a time back in 2004 I had a 2002 Octy VRS and liked it a lot. Even persuaded a colleague at work to get one which he did, and he's now on his third Octy VRS since then....

Anyway, I bought the BMW on a bit of a whim, its a 1998 540i and I traded the Octavia for it in 2006. Alas, although its been a truly superb car over the last 12 years, it is showing its age and becoming a bit less reliable as the miles climb so I've started looking around for something to replace it.

Being one for a good deal, (don't like to spend a lot to buy a car but want a LOT for my money), and looking for something more practical I've been looking at various options, one of which is the Superb II. 

They seem to tick all the boxes for me at the moment. I quite like the look of them, want petrol, automatic, it must be quick and full of equipment and it must be able to carry stuff, lots of stuff. Tools mainly but also things like step ladders.

In terms of equipment, my BMW has everything that was available at the time - Xenons, Nav, TV, rain sensors, parking sensors, electric memory heated seats etc etc and I don't want to lose any equipment on whatever I buy next.

So, for my budget of around £10k I've seen various cars, some are 2.0TFSI and some 3.6 V6, some estates and some hatches. Either body shape will be fine for me, I think the estate looks a little better, but I'd be ok with a hatch too.

Anyway, back on this forum I've noticed quite a few posts about engine failures on the Octavias with the 2.0TFSI motor (timing chain tensioner) and it got me thinking about overall reliability of the 2.0TFSI compared to the V6. Any thoughts generally which is the most reliable?

I know the 3.6 is going to be more costly to run, but they are much cheaper to buy too, so I don't mind that, my main concern is choosing a car that will last me a long time, and it will have a bit of a tough life so needs to be able to cope with that.

All thought welcome!

David.

Edited by davej998
title mistake

5 hours ago, vborovic said:

The latest Superb also comes with a DSG and 4x4 on a 2.0 TFSI

OP's budget is not going to get him into a Superb 3.

From what I've seen there are more 3.6 models around than the 2.0 TFSI, in the UK at least, so that model will probably be easier to find.

For the spec you're after I'd suggest going for Elegance or L&K and forget everything else.

I have a 3.6 Elegance estate, owned from new and its fantastic, 70k miles still on original pads and disks only faults I have had are the springs, front one snapped, replaced both fronts then a week later a rear snapped, unfortunate.

I also had a company Superb 2.0 TFsi Twin door, did about 40k miles in 30 months, its was good but a lower class then the 3.6 to drive.

The front wheels spin easily in the wet on fast pull aways. Only issue I had was it went through 2 batteries, both under warranty, which was odd. I have now retired but the car is still with the company, chatted to a former colleague who says it is drinking oil, a known fault on the 2.0.

If you can afford the VED and the fuel consumption, get the 3.6!

• Like 1

The facelift version of the Superb II v6 had a  lower CO2 figure that meant lower road fund licence .

• Pre facelift v6 -CO2 figure of 235 g/km - band L (£540)
  • Post facelift  v6 - CO2 figure of 215 g.km - band K (£315)

I'd love one myself but not while I am doing over 15,000 miles a year

I'm biased but I love my 3.6 estate.....the lump is a tough old boot BUT I have had a tensioner fail - VERY unusual as my due diligence prior to buying mine used (it's a 2010 model, fully loaded etc.) showed that the Suisse Gendarme use them as their main motorway vehicle of choice and they have cars with 350,000 kms plus still in operation (I visited the service garage to seek advice). They love them (only now being swapped for Insignia OPC estates and Subaru Levorgs).

I looked at other cars (used buys) including the bmw and audi things, but the Superb was head and shoulders above the BMW build wise inside (sorry...:blush) and well, it's not an Audi :D  

I was unlucky I think....as I have said, the 3.6 is a great car, good looking in estate guise, comfortable, spacious and quick - over the past four and a bit years it's been a delight (other than that tensioner issue).

If you can find a used Facelift 3.6 estate fully loaded then fill your boots - you won't be disappointed. 

Dave

• Like 1

I was after a 3.6, but ended up with a 2.0TSI Estate. I have had it 6 months and it runs perfectly. I love it. 7,000 miles no issues or hint of issues.

I’ve had the Shark Remap to 260bhp and 400NM I would imagine it’s a fair bit quicker than a standard 3.6 (except In 1st, as yes, you can spin the wheels if you floor it)

Cheaper tax, 38MPG at 75-80mph (goes down a lot on Autobahn!). Great gearbox, very smooth, even at 120 (just got back from Germany).

It’s quiet. No sound comes out the exhaust (V6 sound main attraction of the 3.6 for me). I love the full length sunroof. 

I got the Elegance with extras. If you can get an L&K hold out for one as they are a beautiful spec. Mine was next best thing but loads missing that’s on L&K.

Great cars, good luck!!

Loads missing =

front parking sensors (why?!)

electric bootlid

self parking

Extra False floor in boot (pointless!)

Rear sun blinds

Rear heated seats

might be more...but mind had heated front screen, tinted windows and sunroof as paid extras.