Intelligent Stop/Start?

Initially thought is was just coincidence that whilst the engine was in auto-stop mode waiting at the traffic lights, it would auto-start as soon as the car in front started to move. I mean before I had a chance to place my hands on the wheel, or depress the clutch or do anything really, the engine started when the car in front began to move away.  However this has been happening quite frequent now so just wondering if anyone knows what triggers the engine to start? My car has the auto-parking system which includeds front sensors, so assuming they detect the car in front moving off and start the engine accordingly.

Anyone else experience this? I've had front sensors on several other VW products but never seen this happen before.

Not sure what front sensor does it (adaptive cruise, lane keep/traffic sign, parking) but yes it does when car in front moves.

Find it highly irritating when cars edge forward, for no reason as it's a long line of cars with a red traffic light, and it triggers the engine to start!

Cheers. Good to know it's not my imagination. Never thought of the camera detecting movement - sounds more likely than my parking sensor theory.

Edited by Guest

Can't believe that constant stop/start activity does the drivetrain any good. Nor make any significant improvement to fuel economy. First thing I do on our Octavia and Smart is switch it off for the journey. Wonder - can it be set to off by default?

StopStart is not intended to improve fuel economy.

It was introduced to dramatically improve the emissions test results following the European cycle which contains several long idle phases.

It also has a positive effect on polution in cities or areas of heavy traffic but this is just what the marketting department will tell you, not why manufacturers spent extra money to design it.

I think unless you spend 10s of minutes stationary during a commute the fuel saving is negligable vs the fuel needed to restart the engine again.

On the Octavia it can be programmed off if you can find someone with VCDS.

Well I guess it has to be the cameras controlling this. Stopped in traffic this morning, for what ever reason the brake lights illuminate on car in front but the car doesn't move. My engine still starts in anticipation tho.

I'm quite impressed by this little feature. Slightest touch of clutch on previous car was enough to start the engine, but sometimes that resulted in me not pressing the clutch down far enough and on occasion, ended up in an embarassing stall.

Never liked the idea of start/stop when it first appeared on our cars for reasons given above but ever since using it, I now find it a pain when it doesn't activate - just seems such a waste the engine running when you're not going anywhere. As for start/stop affecting the drivetrain - I'm not aware of any evidence to back this up. Cars with stop/start technology don't appear to be any less reliable than cars without it.

Edited by Guest

I believe most cars with start/stop do have slightly uprated alternators/start motors, due to the potential higher usage they would get, but as S/S is virtually standard now on most vehicles, I guess they'd put the uprated starter/alternator in all the vehicles.

Interesting this as I noticed this startup when car in front moves off.

I have ACC - I'm sure my  2.00 TDi SE L Estate, 16 plate, with bog standard cruise control, didn't do this so assumed it is a feature of ACC.

Found S/S and ACC very useful on the M6 20 odd miles of roadworks over the past week.

As I've said before - turn it off , its a pain . What I really don't like is when you're sat at a junction especially in the middle of the road waiting to turn right and you see a gap . You go for it then you get that slight delay waiting for the engine to restart