retro fit electric boot

basically is it possible to fit the electric rear boot on a superb estate, is it just a matter of fitting the struts and associated electrickery and switches or is there a dedicated BCM as well?

I don't know for sure - if you had VCDS plugged in I'd suggest poking around with the long coding helper to see what options are available on the BCM. I doubt the report is much good other than to tell you what the part number of the BCM is. You could at least google that and see what's out there.

My car had it fitted as standard, it has failed and I was quoted over £1000 to fix. 

I bought standard gas struts for £50 haven't looked back. 

Yes it cool but.... 

• Like 3

PeteJ80:  Your solution is what I will want to do, if my electric opening fails.

Please could you provide more detail on what was involved? Does it now work just like a coventional tailgate (I assume the switch on the centre console becomes redundant)?

Thanks

Exactly that, back to a standard boot opening. 

I bought my struts from 

https://www.sgs-engineering.com

Good quality and reasonable price. 

The existing struts easily pop off, it will take an extra minute or two to unclip the wires attached to the electric struts. 

I replaced both of mine in under 10 minutes. 

The buttons on your central console and keys are redundant. 

A little off topic but...

I went through the tailgate servo motor replacement saga recently.

After having had one Skoda dealer say the struts were shot, i actually ordered the gas struts from https://skodaparts.co.nz/

However, prior to shipping, their boxing sale got me almost two electro servos for the price of one, so i went for it. Got them installed by my local Euro man no worries but still no go. Thought may have to be recoded by Skoda, so off i went again to a different dealer.

They say that the struts are fine and installed correctly but it may be the control module, may be... I do a song and dance. Why can't they diagnose this in the first place? They want the car for at least a day and a half just to diagnose. Pretty sure the words 'f*%k' and 'that' were my response.

Sourced control module from skodaparts again for around $400 Aus.

Back to my Euro man, Mitch at http://europeanautomotive.com.au/ (who had spent a bit of time by this stage, and was as frustrated as me with the whole thing but he was hell bent on getting it sorted) to install the module. One and a half to two hours later (pretty much removed the whole left side of the dog box) it was done, all sorted.

Long story short, try to get the control module looked at first. It is arguably one fifth of the price and very likely the cause of the trouble. I think they're on their tenth revision of this part, i had the first.

A mate has a mk III and he had his servos replaced under warranty but they did the module as well.

• Haha 1

• 1 year later...
On 19/04/2018 at 08:31, PeteJ80 said:

Exactly that, back to a standard boot opening. 

I bought my struts from 

https://www.sgs-engineering.com

Good quality and reasonable price. 

The existing struts easily pop off, it will take an extra minute or two to unclip the wires attached to the electric struts. 

I replaced both of mine in under 10 minutes. 

The buttons on your central console and keys are redundant. 

Hi Pete,

Sorry to revive an old thread. Our mechanic tried to replace our electric struts with gas struts and said the boot won't shut. Something about the closing mechanism not pulling the boot completely closed. I had a look on the SGS website for gas struts but they have no listing for the Superb. I don't suppose you have the part numbers of yours? Can you also confirm that you didnt need to do any coding or other mods to get them to work? 

thanks

Matt

5 hours ago, williamshatnerspants said:

Hi Pete,

Sorry to revive an old thread. Our mechanic tried to replace our electric struts with gas struts and said the boot won't shut. Something about the closing mechanism not pulling the boot completely closed. I had a look on the SGS website for gas struts but they have no listing for the Superb. I don't suppose you have the part numbers of yours? Can you also confirm that you didnt need to do any coding or other mods to get them to work? 

thanks

Matt

Hi Matt, 

I have attached the details from my SGS invoice. It was 2017. 

Hope you manage to get them. 

No coding required, I swapped the struts over (10 minute job) and the boot closed and then adjusted as it normally would with electric struts. 

Cheers 

Screenshot_20191126_093148_com.google.android.apps.docs.jpg

15 hours ago, PeteJ80 said:

Hi Matt, 

I have attached the details from my SGS invoice. It was 2017. 

Hope you manage to get them. 

No coding required, I swapped the struts over (10 minute job) and the boot closed and then adjusted as it normally would with electric struts. 

Cheers 

Screenshot_20191126_093148_com.google.android.apps.docs.jpg

You're a legend, thanks very much.

On 19/04/2018 at 02:37, Mykul said:

A little off topic but...

I went through the tailgate servo motor replacement saga recently.

After having had one Skoda dealer say the struts were shot, i actually ordered the gas struts from https://skodaparts.co.nz/

However, prior to shipping, their boxing sale got me almost two electro servos for the price of one, so i went for it. Got them installed by my local Euro man no worries but still no go. Thought may have to be recoded by Skoda, so off i went again to a different dealer.

They say that the struts are fine and installed correctly but it may be the control module, may be... I do a song and dance. Why can't they diagnose this in the first place? They want the car for at least a day and a half just to diagnose. Pretty sure the words 'f*%k' and 'that' were my response.

Sourced control module from skodaparts again for around $400 Aus.

Back to my Euro man, Mitch at http://europeanautomotive.com.au/ (who had spent a bit of time by this stage, and was as frustrated as me with the whole thing but he was hell bent on getting it sorted) to install the module. One and a half to two hours later (pretty much removed the whole left side of the dog box) it was done, all sorted.

Long story short, try to get the control module looked at first. It is arguably one fifth of the price and very likely the cause of the trouble. I think they're on their tenth revision of this part, i had the first.

A mate has a mk III and he had his servos replaced under warranty but they did the module as well.

My 2015 Superb Estate Tailgate issues:- Firstly when closing, stopped half way intermittently. Close it manually. Open it electrically, worked fine. Close it electrically, stopped half way. Went through the setting/resetting routine. Worked fine. Then started to only open halfway. Press the button. Closed fine. Now opens part way. Press button to close, just gives rapid beeps. Pressing and holding the button does not bring up reset signal. Can't help thinking it is connected to the Control Module. Can they become corrupted? Can they be reset? If not the Control Module, I will downgrade to Gas Struts. Presumably electric struts are used on other VW brands. Wonder if they have same problems.

• 1 month later...