Roof bike rack options fit estate?

I have a Thule old square bar roof bars on mine. I have both the 'old school' fork holder holder and the newer 'clamp the down tube' models. The later is easiest to use and less hassle as both wheels stay on. 

Advice would be to find out which model Thule 'foot' fitting kit and bar length you need then buy it second hand on eBay or similar. Any of the Thule bike racks would be fine

https://www.thule.com/en-gb/gb/bike-rack/roof-bike-racks

Note the more modern oval profile roof bars are quieter than the old square ones. You'd need to confirm compatibility of bike rack and roof bar profile as some are 'bar specific'.

IMG_7005[1].JPG

Does your superb have a tow bar?  If so a Tow bar mounted rack is much easier, to mount/unmount (to the tow bar and also when putting bikes on/off it).

We have a Thule one for 2 bikes - tow bar mounted - and its the best thing I've ever purchased.

If you're after roof mounted bike carriers, the Thule ones with the downtube clamp are very user friendly. Be warned that these are not compatible with a lot of carbon fibre frames.

As for roof bars, I have a set of Thule wingbars which I've found to be excellent - very quiet and sturdy.

• Like 1

+1 wingbars and the downtube clamp bit of a faff putting them up but i have a FS frame, having had a towball one before this is  much better for me at least, downside is carparks but the boots big enough to whip a wheel off fold seats and throw the bike in (carefully)

I don't have a tow bar, but yes this is a great option too. Downsides of tow bar mounted racks are they can restrict boot access (unless they are the fancy hinged type), and they make a long vehicle even longer! Also keep the bike wheels away from the exhaust to stop tyres melting ;o). Positives are they are easier to load, cheaper than the roof, no worries about your bikes hitting garages, low bridges, car parking buildings. Lastly, no whistling noises from the roof rack/bikes.

Hi Badgerman I use both the tow bar and the Thule Areo bars with the Thule pro bike carrier. The bars are very quiet and I leave them on and I remove the bike carrier. I also use the tow when it’s a big family outing. I have attached a photo of the bars

DD37F798-7517-4FE8-A79E-443172DB7B49.jpeg

FDE3E4EE-98AD-4E32-867C-6069CE020069.jpeg

• Like 1

14 hours ago, williamshatnerspants said:

I don't have a tow bar, but yes this is a great option too. Downsides of tow bar mounted racks are they can restrict boot access (unless they are the fancy hinged type), and they make a long vehicle even longer! Also keep the bike wheels away from the exhaust to stop tyres melting ;o). Positives are they are easier to load, cheaper than the roof, no worries about your bikes hitting garages, low bridges, car parking buildings. Lastly, no whistling noises from the roof rack/bikes.

Mine is a Tilting Thule one :)  Never had an issue with the exhaust.  Tyres are protected by the steel + plastic on the carrier anyway so plastic would melt first (and its ABS so it'd have to be damned hot to melt that!)

Doesn't make the car much longer..about 2ft

• Like 1

I have a 4 bike tilting Buzzrack for the towbar - its brilliant but it does make the car very long, longer than Skoda recommend but so far no probs on the Superb or my previous Vectra. It is wheel standing for the bikes and has built in lights so exceptionally easy to use.

For roof mounted I used to use Halfords cheapo downtube grabbing racks, butchered to fit on to the alloy bars on the old vectra. Did thousands of miles like that with no issues other than me dropping bikes and crap from the bikes falling on the roof.

• Like 1