Oil viscosity change?

Just had my diesel vRS in for first variable service, and noticed on service sheet that the oil used was shell helix 0w30; now the manual states 5w30. Spoke to dealers and they informed me that Skoda have changed the spec. I can't find any info on this and figured this was best place to ask.

Edited by bomski
Typo

As long as it is to VW507 00.  so 0w 30 FF LL, or the 5w 30 FS LL.

You should have asked whoever you spoke to at a dealership to print off the changed spec.

Now the TDI's are coming out the factory to VW509 spec, to help Skoda get the Emissions and MPG needed for testing, that os 0w 20 FS Long Life.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Offski said:

As long as it is to VW507 00.  so 0w 30 FF LL, or the 5w 30 FS LL.

You should have asked whoever you spoke to at a dealership to print off the changed spec.

Now the TDI's are coming out the factory to VW509 spec, to help Skoda get the Emissions and MPG needed for testing, that os 0w 20 FS Long Life.

Does this mean that our TDI which have been using vw507 oil can now use vw509?

Lower viscosity should get better mpg?

Shell Helix Professional AV-L is a 0w30 that conforms to 504/507 spec. The dealer in Cambridge I bought mine from used this, but my local used Castrol Edge 5w30 I believe.

As long as it conforms to VW spec - which it should do being a main dealer - then it's fine.

Does it not mean though that on long runs & higher oïl températures its likely to burnoff/consume a little bit more that with the 5w30 oïl?

Will have to dig out the service sheet from my service back in Feb to see what they put in.