Full LED vs Bi-Xenon headlights

Hello Octavia people, from a Superb owner...  :-)

Later this year I'm looking to replace my 11-plate Superb Estate (Elegance CR 170 2.0 TDi) with probably an Octavia Estate with the 1.5TSi engine - I no longer do the miles to warrant getting another diesel. 

I've been playing with the car configurator for the SE L estate on the Skoda website and wanted to include Bi-Xenon headlights as an option - I've found them to be excellent on the Superb - but they no longer seem to be available.  Instead, the option (or maybe standard fit on the SE L?) seems to be full LED headlights.  This got me wondering about how the two different types of headlight compare, so I'll be very interested to hear from anyone who's got experience of both types, I'm especially interested in learning which type has been found to be "better" (whatever that might mean!).

Thanks in advance,

--

Martin

Edited by AMartinD

I believe that are standard fit on SEL. 

I had the xenons on my pre facelift vRS and now the LEDs on my facelift vRS. The output of the LEDs are far better but the cornering function of the xenons was better IMO. Overall though, I prefer the LED units. 

I had an Nissan x Trail for a few weeks in December which had LED lights and I didn't like them.  When clean they were reasonable but then the slightest amount of dirt on them and the light output was severely diminished.  They're great at picking up reflectors and white cars! 

There's also no law about having to have headlamp wash with LED lights (as there is with Xenon) - some manufacturers may offer it but the X Trail didn't have it and I ended up cleaning them most mornings before leaving home.

I also find that some cars with LEDs oncoming are particularly distracting, the 3 series and Mini in particular.  

Of course the oct maybe different and may have H/wash.

I’m very happy with the bi-xenons on my vRS. 

I thought they very bright and powerful. 

However, following a mate in his Kodiak recently, his LEDs were even brighter and whiter. 

Happy with the xenons though and do like the cornering function on the lanes round my way. 

• Like 1

Led lights on Octavia SEL spec are great. They have washers too.

Driven a superb with xenon's and they are good but the led lights have the edge.

Has anyone actually tested the LEDs Vs Bi-Xenons and measured the output? The LEDs are bright but so are the Bi-Xenons (at least with better bulbs) and I'm curious to know whether it's perceived due to colour difference or whether they are genuinely brighter.

5 hours ago, ahenners said:

Has anyone actually tested the LEDs Vs Bi-Xenons and measured the output? The LEDs are bright but so are the Bi-Xenons (at least with better bulbs) and I'm curious to know whether it's perceived due to colour difference or whether they are genuinely brighter.

There were two articles in a Finnish car magazine, one measured pre-FL D3S Xenons and second FL LEDs.

I edited the light patterns to the same picture.

Xenons are blue area and LEDs red line. (Dotted area is after 60779kms)

38735100032_46b4cdaa1b_o.jpg

Edited by Petunet
  • Like 3

I fitted h7 led bulbs on my bike and I found the low beam not as bright as a halogen, but the high beam was amazingly powerful.

I'd imagine the specific led headlights will be good, as a lot of manufacturers are fitting them.

Just be interesting to see if you can replace the led bulb / unit, or is it a whole headlight replacement.

Edited by tunedude

I cannot compare the xenon with FL-LED, but the xenon with AFS I had on my Octavia doesn't stand up to the LEDs I have on the Leon - although I have the 2nd gen LEDs, which are apparently much better than the gen1.

They are way brighter (long lights included) than the Skoda Xenon, and although they don't do AFS, the light spread is REALLY wide, so they kinda defeat the purpose of doing the cornering.

In a nutshell, although I was very happy with the Octavia Xenon, I am happier with the Leon LED.

Take into account this is a new technology and not all LED headlights are the same - it is constantly advancing, so... Compare LEDs from the same generation.

Also, putting a LED bulb on a halogen reflector/projector is NOT the same thing as the proper LED headlights, which are a matrix of smaller but very bright LEDs, which is why the spread is bigger.

10 hours ago, ScoutCJB said:

There's also no law about having to have headlamp wash with LED lights (as there is with Xenon) - some manufacturers may offer it but the X Trail didn't have it and I ended up cleaning them most mornings before leaving home.

Pretty sure the law is dipped beams over 2000 lumens need washers, regardless of the tech used. 

Edited by uchuff
  • Like 1

On ‎26‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 16:08, AMartinD said:

Hello Octavia people, from a Superb owner...  :-)

Later this year I'm looking to replace my 11-plate Superb Estate (Elegance CR 170 2.0 TDi) with probably an Octavia Estate with the 1.5TSi engine - I no longer do the miles to warrant getting another diesel. 

I've been playing with the car configurator for the SE L estate on the Skoda website and wanted to include Bi-Xenon headlights as an option - I've found them to be excellent on the Superb - but they no longer seem to be available.  Instead, the option (or maybe standard fit on the SE L?) seems to be full LED headlights.  This got me wondering about how the two different types of headlight compare, so I'll be very interested to hear from anyone who's got experience of both types, I'm especially interested in learning which type has been found to be "better" (whatever that might mean!).

Thanks in advance,

--

Martin

No brainer for me had several Superb's with Xenons which were good on country lanes, but on the same roads the LED on my current VRS245 are amazing giving bright 150m coverage on dipped and probably 300m on main beam. Like driving in daylight at night. This was the main reason I bought the wife SEL Karoq in January because the LED headlights are light years (sorry about that pun) ahead of the halogen headlights she had in her 2015 Skoda Rapid Sportback.

12 hours ago, uchuff said:

Pretty sure the law is dipped beams over 2000 lumens need washers, regardless of the tech used. 

Which is why the Rapid doesn't have headlight washers even when fitted with HID.

Went from halogens on my O3 Elegance to LEDs on the O3FL SEL and my god what a difference..  have noticed when sitting in traffic that the AFS keeps adjusting the angle of the beam...   very impressed with them!

I had (until yesterday) a 2014 octavia with xenons. My wife has a brand new 1 series with the latest LED lights. Other than the bright white colour the xenons are so much better.  Illuminate further down the road and also the sides of the roads. I'd get a drive in one with both to be honest. Don't personally rate the LED lighting tech.  I think they have only come about due to stupid EU regs on maximum bulb wattage. Gotta save the planet you know ;)

Edit to add. Going from xenons to LED is not the jump going from halogens to xenons was. 

Edited by Stuski

The LED headlights are very bright and reach a long way down the road, so I'm glad the auto-dip is also fitted. My only niggle is that on a road at night with lots of reflective signs, particularly the black and white sticks with a red reflector on top, there is a lot of light coming back at you which can be distracting.

11 hours ago, Stuski said:

I had (until yesterday) a 2014 octavia with xenons. My wife has a brand new 1 series with the latest LED lights. Other than the bright white colour the xenons are so much better.  Illuminate further down the road and also the sides of the roads. I'd get a drive in one with both to be honest. Don't personally rate the LED lighting tech.  I think they have only come about due to stupid EU regs on maximum bulb wattage. Gotta save the planet you know ;)

Edit to add. Going from xenons to LED is not the jump going from halogens to xenons was. 

Longevity and Power Consumption are the main drivers for the change to LED. Nothing to do with Automotive Bulb Power, why have Low Power LEDs been around for years in interior and rear lighting.

Edited by KevC_Derby

11 hours ago, Stuski said:

The only thing I take from your post a that the BMW series 1 LEDs are crap :) :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

The Bi-xenon on our Octavia is quite poor in terms of beam intensity. I have previously owned bi-Xenon equipped Tiguan as well as C Class (W204), they are A LOT better, beams are a lot more intense which makes all the difference. I also owned current model C-Class with LED headlight, they are better than the Octavia's Xenon in terms of intensity but comparing to a proper Xenon system (like those in Tiguan and prev-gen C class)? I take the Xenon system any day, much better colour rendition and comfort for the eyes. Xenon also seems to reach out further as well.

I've come from a volvo v40 with bi-xenon and cornering feature to a Octavia se-l with led lights and I find the led much better I only wish the front fog lights matched as they look a horrible yellow colour in comparison.