One week in - first impressions

boff180

Hi guys,

I thought I'd post some initial good and not-so-good thoughts after driving my Karoq for a week or so. Loving the car.

The Good

The visibility

The infotainment system

Apple Car Play

The room in the cabin

The ride quality

Superb engine

Sensor systems - love the front parking sensors being always active for tight turns

Looks great in Candy White

The auto hand brake system.

The Not-So-Good

Simply Unclever - the RAC/AA triangle doesn't fit in the holder in its case, the Halfords standard fire extinguisher doesn't fit the holder and the umbrella doesn't really fit anywhere.

The WLAN doesn't like an iPhone personal hotspot especially if connected to Car Play - takes 15 min to detect it has an internet connection.

A little bit sluggish off the line.

The driving seats are little short/narrow for fat people - poor driving position as a result.

The steel spare wheel takes up -a lot- of boot space and the rest of the boot isn't modified to reflect this, cargo tie down points are therefore buried behind the spare wheel holder and are useless.

Andy

• Like 1

They say beauty is in the eye etc....

Love Android Auto via my Pixel 2XL, especially the choice of GM or Waze for nav.

We have the spare wheel, and connected nets to the bottom points fine.  But it was the same in our Yetis, so maybe we were just used to it.

6 hours ago, boff180 said:

Hi guys,

I thought I'd post some initial good and not-so-good thoughts after driving my Karoq for a week or so. Loving the car.

The Good

The visibility

The infotainment system

Apple Car Play

The room in the cabin

The ride quality

Superb engine

Sensor systems - love the front parking sensors being always active for tight turns

Looks great in Candy White

The auto hand brake system.

The Not-So-Good

Simply Unclever - the RAC/AA triangle doesn't fit in the holder in its case, the Halfords standard fire extinguisher doesn't fit the holder and the umbrella doesn't really fit anywhere.

The WLAN doesn't like an iPhone personal hotspot especially if connected to Car Play - takes 15 min to detect it has an internet connection.

A little bit sluggish off the line.

The driving seats are little short/narrow for fat people - poor driving position as a result.

The steel spare wheel takes up -a lot- of boot space and the rest of the boot isn't modified to reflect this, cargo tie down points are therefore buried behind the spare wheel holder and are useless.

Andy

Think I may stick with the Yeti a while longer!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TheRoq said:

I think your spare wheel is only high up because its a 4x4.

My space saver spare wheel leaves a flat floor in the FWD model.

Ah, does the 4x4 gubbins add more height? This is our 4x2:

IMG_20180404_144246.jpg

1 hour ago, Michael G said:

IMG_20180404_144246.jpg

What size of spare wheel do you have under there?   There appear to be 3 spare wheel choices.   I’m guessing you have the full fat one rather that the skinny or semi skinny?

4 hours ago, Michael G said:

They say beauty is in the eye etc....

Love Android Auto via my Pixel 2XL, especially the choice of GM or Waze for nav.

We have the spare wheel, and connected nets to the bottom points fine.  But it was the same in our Yetis, so maybe we were just used to it.

True, I've come from a Mk3 Octavia and used to all the mounting points being exposed with a spare wheel installed. Do like that boot liner though may have to get one of them!

4 hours ago, pinkpanther said:

the umbrella doesn't really fit anywhere.

In ours there is an umbrella under the passenger seat - provided by Skoda or do you mean a large umbrella?

36 minutes ago, womanofkent said:

According to the dreaded manual, where you've got your umbrella is the bracket for the Fire Extinguisher. The small Skoda Umbrella was in the boot in its packaging when I picked up the car.

11 hours ago, boff180 said:

According to the dreaded manual, where you've got your umbrella is the bracket for the Fire Extinguisher. The small Skoda Umbrella was in the boot in its packaging when I picked up the car.

Same here. Although p96 of the online manual says it's for the brolly :unsure:

Umberalla.jpg

12 hours ago, boff180 said:

True, I've come from a Mk3 Octavia and used to all the mounting points being exposed with a spare wheel installed. Do like that boot liner though may have to get one of them!

I like it too. Looks smart I think. Double sided OEM, for cars with fixed seats and a spare. £62 on the list here:

"Double-sided boot mat for luggage compartment with spare wheel - for fixed seats Comfort & Utility 57A061163 £62.00 £62.00"

http://www.skoda.co.uk/SiteCollectionImages/Models/downloads/Karoq-Accessories-Pricing.pdf

but delivered for £55 from Mike at Hindle's per the arrangement here:

12 hours ago, MASS1 said:

What size of spare wheel do you have under there?   There appear to be 3 spare wheel choices.   I’m guessing you have the full fat one rather that the skinny or semi skinny?

Well, I know there's a tyre under there, I checked on handover day :D

According to the invoice it's a space saver at £125, whichever variant that is.

This is a space saver in the 1.5 FWD.

The top of the tyre is flush with the boot floor.

With varioflex seats the floor is pretty much flat when they're up.

IMG_20180429_121614.jpg

IMG_20180429_121704.jpg

Mine sits a good couple of inches higher covering the two metal tie down points. There is a fairly significant lip if I fully fold the seats.

It is a steel space saver. As someone else posted it must be something to do with the 4x4 or DSG.

E886AE23-A060-44F8-A84E-654B312476BF.jpeg

D44EDAAF-3ECF-4711-9C35-F5C0C9EE92C2.jpeg

Edited by boff180

On 28/04/2018 at 23:08, boff180 said:

My brolly is under the seat, was there when I picked the car up.

On 28/04/2018 at 20:34, Michael G said:

IMG_20180404_144246.jpg

That bag hook on the back of the right hand seats... anyone know if it comes off? You're supposed to be able to store the parcel shelf / load cover down the back of the seats but it hits the hook!

1 hour ago, solarfusion said:

That bag hook on the back of the right hand seats... anyone know if it comes off? You're supposed to be able to store the parcel shelf / load cover down the back of the seats but it hits the hook!

It does, it just clips into the bit for attaching a car seat strap to (see the LHS - it's empty). 

1 minute ago, LBFS said:

It does, it just clips into the bit for attaching a car seat strap to (see the LHS - it's empty). 

Thanks. Thought it might but didn't want to force it and break something.

8 minutes ago, solarfusion said:

Thanks. Thought it might but didn't want to force it and break something.

Yes. Removable. 

Boot hook.jpg