Safety in action

In case you were wondering about the structural integrity of the Superb...

On Sunday I was doing 75-80 ouside lane of a dual carriageway.  Saw in my mirror a BMW closing at ridiculous speed before rear-ending me. The Superb was lifted by the impact, did 2 barrel-rolls and then an end-over-end roll into the trees. I was cut out of the car and taken to the trauma centre.

Result; a couple of bkoken ribs and lung puncture. Medics and fire crew said they expected life-changing injuries from the forces and mechanism involved, but I am home with just pain-killers. One said, the car did a great job.

Will be ordering a replacement L&K asap.

• Like 1
  • Sad 5

17 minutes ago, flyingpigvrs said:

Glad you're not too badly injured.

Any explanation given as to why the BMW just drove into the back of you?

Still waiting for the Police to contact me. I had been in the outside lane for nearly a mile. She just drove into the back of me. Must have been well over 100mph.  She hit hard enough to destroy the front of the BMW , front axle, all air bags etc. Bright, clear day, straight road, little traffic.  

????

22 minutes ago, scr64 said:

Still waiting for the Police to contact me. I had been in the outside lane for nearly a mile. She just drove into the back of me. Must have been well over 100mph.  She hit hard enough to destroy the front of the BMW , front axle, all air bags etc. Bright, clear day, straight road, little traffic.  

????

Wow.

Sounds like you were very lucky.  Most collisions at that sort of speed turn into fatals. 

Thanks for sharing and glad you are not too badly hurt. And thanks indeed for feeding back on something everybody on this forum will be pleased and relieved to hear about re the safety of our cars. 

Not your usual bank holiday fun......

Glad you've got off lightly, sounds like it could have been a lot worse. And reassuring to us all that the car stood up so well to the impact(s)

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, dg360 said:

Hope you are feeling better soon.

I'm sure your speedo was over-reading though - probably more like 67-70mph you were travelling at.

Definitely within 10% of 70mph

8 minutes ago, RickTT said:

wow - wishing you a smooth recovery...  that sounds really crazy incident..

Is the car a proper mess then ?

It's not going to polish out.

2018-05-06 13.28.44-979x1305.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, scr64 said:

It's not going to polish out.

2018-05-06 13.28.44-979x1305.jpg

T-cut should sort that surely?!

In all seriousness looking at that it really is a testament to the safety of the superb. 

• Like 1

Wow, that picture is definitely worth a thousand words. That is one hell of a mess and to walk away from that is quite remarkable. Although a bit of T-cut and a good buff and should be as good as new!!!!

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, freelunch said:

Wow. Just wow.

I imagine the police are checking her phone records. Did you share the ambulance?

She and partner were unscathed. Their's was a 30mph front impact. Mine was the 80mph rollercoaster.

37 minutes ago, flyingpigvrs said:

Out of interest is your superb fitted with the telematics system (SOS button on the roof)?

Interested to know if the car called the emergency services like it claims. 

No not fitted. Will spec every possible safety feature on the replacement car. Really got away with one this week.

2 minutes ago, VRS Mike said:

were you taken out on a spinal board? Is that why the roof was removed? Glad you are ok and the car did it's job

Yes. Spinal board. Time slows down in a crash. I remeber thinking as it rolled " this isn't too bad. I could get away with this", then the impact against the trees threw me back into the seat with enough force to break the backrest ( and my ribs).

50 minutes ago, scr64 said:

Time slows down in a crash. I remember thinking as it rolled " this isn't too bad. I could get away with this."

I low-sided off a bike in a damp, 60 mph curve, and as I was barrel-rolling back across oncoming traffic, I remember thinking, "Thank God for this helmet". I went out the next day and bought a full-face one. 

It's not the speed that kills, it's the sudden stop.

It's also interesting how you can suddenly find God where there was only god before.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, scr64 said:

In case you were wondering about the structural integrity of the Superb...

On Sunday I was doing 75-80 ouside lane of a dual carriageway.  Saw in my mirror a BMW closing at ridiculous speed before rear-ending me. The Superb was lifted by the impact, did 2 barrel-rolls and then an end-over-end roll into the trees. I was cut out of the car and taken to the trauma centre.

Result; a couple of bkoken ribs and lung puncture. Medics and fire crew said they expected life-changing injuries from the forces and mechanism involved, but I am home with just pain-killers. One said, the car did a great job.

Will be ordering a replacement L&K asap.

Get well soon! Lucky escape after looking at the result...

Do they know what happened to the BMW driver and why it rear ended you?

Edited by TonyTonic
  • Thanks 1

Glad you're OK - that must have been one hell of a frightening experience. Reassuring that the car protected you well, even if it did come out of it looking less than pristine....

47 minutes ago, CheshireBumpkin said:

Reassuring that the car protected you well, even if it did come out of it looking less than pristine....

It's not the only thing looking less than pristine! I feel very lucky and if I take anything away from this, it's the fact that I will spec the next car from the safety options list first before spending the remainder on trim/sound system etc. The metallic paint  and l.e.d package did not save my life.

• Like 2