Audi parts - compatibility

I have access to a family discount through an Audi dealer, and was thinking of getting the parts needed for my timing/water pump replacement. The issue is that they can only search for parts from Audi vehicles, either by reg or chassis. I guess the easiest option is to find an Audi with the same engine? Will all the necessary parts be the same? Any thoughts or pointers?

25 minutes ago, fiftythreethirtynine said:

I have access to a family discount through an Audi dealer, and was thinking of getting the parts needed for my timing/water pump replacement. The issue is that they can only search for parts from Audi vehicles, either by reg or chassis. I guess the easiest option is to find an Audi with the same engine? Will all the necessary parts be the same? Any thoughts or pointers?

That's nonsense, VAG have a unified parts numbering system so all you need is the part numbers from any number of online sources.

It's not unfortunately, TPS do all brands, but a branded franchise parts counter often isn't able to order across brands.

As long as the engine code matches, it should be fine, if in doubt, verify it against a site like 7zap.com

I think they can order by part number, they just can't look up off-brand?

So find your own part number, then take it to Audi dealer and say, get me one of these please.

I've found by using my local VW Van Centre, that they are not allowed to order "other" parts, they would normally only do that if servicing/repairing another VW Group marque car/van - and they would order these parts via TPS, for parts counter sales they will not order from TPS.

When trying to do this using VW Group part numbers, I've always got the same response "system does not recognise these numbers" - unless the parts I've requested are used on that marques cars in which case they either supplied me with the parts or ordered the parts in from VW Commercial .

All of this started when TPS took hold, prior to that if I had a part number for a SEAT or VW car, my local VW Van Centre would always accept my order.

Edit:- so eventually, to avoid the need to suffer high traffic density areas which is where all the car dealers are located, I'd use the online parts listing, note all the part number down, then see what was possible to get/used on the VW Commercial vans, and only if that failed I'd need to visit my local VW car dealership - or order online form a helpful VW Group dealership parts department.

Edited by rum4mo