Best Oil for our Kodiaq (mine is a 2.0 TSI 4x4)

Hello,

I am seeking the best oil for my Kodiaq 2.0 TSI.

In user manual, 

Vehicles with variable service intervals
Petrol engines Specification
2.0 ltr./132 kW TSI VW 508 00

Vehicles with fixed service intervals
Petrol engines Specification
2.0 ltr./132 kW TSI VW 502 00

The following are on my list: ( VW 502 00)

RAVENOL 5W-30 VMP

Red line 5W-30 
AMSOIL 5W-30

What would be your selection?

Welcome.

Sorry no idea about these brands you list.

The TSI engines are now leaving the factory with VW 508 00.   0w 20 FS Long life.  Expensive.   No longer the VW504 / 507.

(TDI's leave with VW509 00)   

To get the WLTP results they need, supposedly better fuel consumption.

Maybe the 'best oil' for you if you own your car is not 'Long Life oil' but the Synthetic VW 502 00 that you want 5w 30. 

Do fixed servicing Oil & Filter changes.

Skoda / VW recommend 'Long Life' oil for Fixed & Variable servicing. 

That is regardless of how many TSI engines have failed over the years.

Edited by Offski
  • Like 2

Things move fast, it didn't seem 2 minutes ago that VW507 00 was 'the oil' to have.

I wonder if there are advantages tio using VW509 00 in my 2011 TDI, or whether I should stick with VW 507 00.

Good to know that all TSI's need VW508.00 though.

Is genuine VAG oil not available in Taiwan?

Here in the UK we have Quantum, this is supposedly Castrol oil in VAG's own branding, and is priced quite low too...

s-l300.jpg.866d6ee533bace357673dc0067b3b18b.jpg

One might hope for it being better than Castrol as that is nothing special..  Just the correct oil spec is all you need,  no matter if asda, tesco, fuch, mobile or comma on the container,  as long as not counterfeit crap. Not running race engines here.

Edited by Offski

Because you have a petrol engine with no DPF it doesn't matter which 5W-30 oil you gonna put in. I buy oil for my older cars directly from a mixing company which supplies many brands with the same oil at different prices. I can get any oil almost 50% cheaper than when buying from brands like Total, Elf, Castrol, etc.

0w-20 is a lower viscosity oil which means you will get a little better fuel economy but after 50 000 miles or so on the engine you will have to change it for 5w-30 to compensate for the wear (engine will start to drink it more). Aswell as if you push your car realy hard so that the engine oil goes above 90 degC - RADIATOR TEMPERATURE WILL STILL STAY AT 90 degC, YOU HAVE TO CHECK IN THE OIL TEMP MENU !!!  (normal operating temperatures are from 85 degC to 115 degC depending on the engine revs) your engine will start to drink more oil. I don't see any benefits from a 0W-20 over 5W-30. Fact is if you plan to keep the car for many years you will have to change the oil to 10W-40 after 150k miles anyway and if you are doing mostly city driving (alot of stop/start situations and warm summer climate) the 0w-20 isn't good for you, aswell as if you are doing highway driving where you maintain revs over 2500 RPM for a long time.

Personaly i would stick with the 5w-30. If you want longer service intervals pick a "long-life" oil which has more aditives and is more expensive, but remember city driving isn't the same as highway driving so if you do city driving or you do low miles per year keeping your car mostly parked, you shouldn't do long intervals, it would be best to buy the cheapest 5w-30 and change it once a year or 10 000 miles. If you have regular (short) service intervals it's a waste of money to buy "long-life" oils.

24 minutes ago, McGyles said:

Because you have a petrol engine with no DPF it doesn't matter which 5W-30 oil you gonna put in. I buy oil for my older cars directly from a mixing company which supplies many brands with the same oil at different prices. I can get any oil almost 50% cheaper than when buying from brands like Total, Elf, Castrol, etc.

0w-20 is a lower viscosity oil which means you will get a little better fuel economy but after 50 000 miles or so on the engine you will have to change it for 5w-30 to compensate for the wear (engine will start to drink it more). Aswell as if you push your car realy hard so that the engine oil goes above 90 degC - RADIATOR TEMPERATURE WILL STILL STAY AT 90 degC, YOU HAVE TO CHECK IN THE OIL TEMP MENU !!!  (normal operating temperatures are from 85 degC to 115 degC depending on the engine revs) your engine will start to drink more oil. I don't see any benefits from a 0W-20 over 5W-30. Fact is if you plan to keep the car for many years you will have to change the oil to 10W-40 after 150k miles anyway and if you are doing mostly city driving (alot of stop/start situations and warm summer climate) the 0w-20 isn't good for you, aswell as if you are doing highway driving where you maintain revs over 2500 RPM for a long time.

Personaly i would stick with the 5w-30. If you want longer service intervals pick a "long-life" oil which has more aditives and is more expensive, but remember city driving isn't the same as highway driving so if you do city driving or you do low miles per year keeping your car mostly parked, you shouldn't do long intervals, it would be best to buy the cheapest 5w-30 and change it once a year or 10 000 miles. If you have regular (short) service intervals it's a waste of money to buy "long-life" oils.

Really appreciate your comments, it make perfect sense to me, I think will stick with 5W-30 FULL SYNTH oil :) , although I do 15000KM/ one year OCI (oil change interval), the oil change fee is around 10~15 USD here in Taiwan.

Plus I only ran around < 20K KM/year, the oil temperature rarely reach 110C (only on the way to mountain duration, I use S instead of D, the oil temperature is relatively higher than normal use case- around 100~105C - city driving, could because it's a turbo-charge engine?) .

Here is Taiwan we have typical 39C in Summer, and rarely 0C in Winder, so, 5W-30 fits perfectly :P

Edited by MyKodiaq168

Personally in hot places and cold places i would do fixed service oil and filter changes in a TSI engine, forget about possible fuel consumption improvements with VW 504 00 / 5w 30 FS ll.   Long Life oil, short life engines IMO.

Stay VW502 00 so 5w 40 Full Synthetic.

On 2018/5/16 at 17:55, silver1011 said:

Is genuine VAG oil not available in Taiwan?

Here in the UK we have Quantum, this is supposedly Castrol oil in VAG's own branding, and is priced quite low too...

s-l300.jpg.866d6ee533bace357673dc0067b3b18b.jpg

Thanks for the info, we do have a wide variety of oil selection here is Taiwan, including VAG genuine oil and others like M1, Castrol, Redline, Amsoil, etc.

But I’d just like to do some research to use the best c/p value on the market (non-VAG ones) with full-synth with proper viscosity for my Skoda Kodiaq 2.0 EA888 gen3b engine. :)

• 8 months later...
On 17/05/2018 at 17:38, Skoffski said:

Personally in hot places and cold places i would do fixed service oil and filter changes in a TSI engine, forget about possible fuel consumption improvements with VW 504 00 / 5w 30 FS ll.   Long Life oil, short life engines IMO.

Stay VW502 00 so 5w 40 Full Synthetic.

But isn’t VW 504 a tougher standard to pass (protect better, less wear) oil than VW 502?

Edited by MyKodiaq168

If you believe that to be true then best use only VW504/507  or VW508/509   

If the Long life oil is good then one might wonder why so many TSI's over the years have been short lived. 

& is VW502 that can be used for Fixed Servicing actually substandard?

166593407_Screenshot_20180414-061447.png.ad6ebc941f71f4e7a77cecf5e55307c4(1).png.5cf0e7c5b4488b1f7cacf2e7a6b1f09d.png

5 hours ago, Skoffski said:

If you believe that to be true then best use only VW504/507  or VW508/509   

If the Long life oil is good then one might wonder why so many TSI's over the years have been short lived. 

& is VW502 that can be used for Fixed Servicing actually substandard?

166593407_Screenshot_20180414-061447.png.ad6ebc941f71f4e7a77cecf5e55307c4(1).png.5cf0e7c5b4488b1f7cacf2e7a6b1f09d.png

I would probably stick with a FULLY SYNTHETIC OIL - and a fixed OCI (1 year or 15000KM) 

The oil I am using is a Mid SAPS PAO based Ravenol 5W-30 VMP 

https://www.ravenol.de/en/products/usage/d/Product/show/p/ravenol-vmp-sae-5w-30.html

Do you think if it's a good choice?

Edited by MyKodiaq168

VW 502 00 is *Fully Synthetic* oil of the correct spec for TSI engines which are on Fixed Servicing with oil changes @ 9,400 miles /15,000 km or 372 days.

http://volkswagen.co.uk/owners/servicing/regimes

You best do what Skoda / VW tell you.   What is the worst that can happen.  Time will tell.

Do not mix oil specs.

The TSI's left the Factory with VW504/ 507  5w 30 FF LL or VW508 /509 0w 20 FS LL   

So top up with what is already in untill you do an Oi & Filter change.    If in an emergency and you use a different spec it still needs to be to the VW Spec & FS.

Edited by Skoffski
  • Thanks 1

Found some VW 502 FULL SYNTHETIC oils you might be interested:

https://www.ravenol.de/en/products/usage/d/Product/show/p/ravenol-super-synthetik-oel-ssl-sae-0w-40.html

https://www.ravenol.de/en/products/usage/d/Product/show/p/ravenol-super-synthetic-sso-0w-30.html

SSO got better Noack Volatility than SSL.

SSO:

Noack Volatility % M/M 7,7

SSL:

Noack Volatility % M/M 8,5  

• 1 year later...

My 2019 2.0 TSI has just had its first service at 18k miles.

As it has the VW finance 2 free services offer it should have been on fixed service according to the garage, but was set at variable and I presume would of left the factory with VW 508 0w 30 for WLTP emissions purposes.

They have done the second service first, and put it to scheduled rather than variable servicing. They’ll do the oil change service next.

The paperwork shows it was refilled with Platinum 5w 40 oil which I would presume is Quantum Platinum VW 502 FS spec.

Whilst the convenience of having a longer service interval appeals (I do 20k miles per year), the car is owned by me and I’d like to think it would be the better option for longevity and oil use in the long term.

Most surprisingly though is how much quieter the engine is. I’ve previously bemoaned the slightly rattley sound of the engine, but now it’s very quiet, obviously due to the thicker oil. Worth the extra service visit in my opinion.

I wonder what it’ll do to the economy, I’ll be keeping an eye on my fuelly app.

Now I’ve got to work out what to do with the expensive 1L bottle of Shell Helix Ultra VW508 0w 30 top up oil I bought - just in case.

Interesting, which dealer did you use?

I've never heard of a UK franchised Skoda retailer / dealer use anything other than Quantum Longlife III (VW 507.00) or Castrol Edge (VW 507.00) before...

image.png.15c98a686f076853b3fd6383b97e2545.png

2 hours ago, Greenliner1 said:

My 2019 2.0 TSI has just had its first service at 18k miles.

As it has the VW finance 2 free services offer it should have been on fixed service according to the garage, but was set at variable and I presume would of left the factory with VW 508 0w 30 for WLTP emissions purposes.

My dealer was more than happy to provide the free services with the car set to variable servicing. First service at about 18k miles; second service at about 36k miles. 

@silver1011 Maybe it was VW507.00? Just listed as  FS02 Platinum 5w 40 on the worksheet, presumed  it was VW502 for the fixed service regime?

@MrTrilby sounds like your dealer is a bit more flexible than my one, I’m so-so with my dealer, but I’m glad in a way though as the engine is far quieter. I’m not sure if the minor service would have been any difference apart from the oil cost?

I’ve still got a slight rattle from the rear audible at very low speed, that they didn’t find that it’s got to go back in for, for further investigation.

They also blew out the flies from my rear inner LED cluster but left one in the offside one, next time perhaps?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, silver1011 said:

Interesting, which dealer did you use?

I've never heard of a UK franchised Skoda retailer / dealer use anything other than Quantum Longlife III (VW 507.00) or Castrol Edge (VW 507.00) before...

image.png.15c98a686f076853b3fd6383b97e2545.png