1.5TSI - Motorway torque

OldKaroq

The Karoq is my first petrol engined car since the mid 80's. I find it "enthusiastic"  in general - it just wants to get going.

Having now driven motorway 180 miles I found the expected loss in torque over the diesel not to be too much of a problem. Except for long inclines where the engine DSG is stubborn in changing down a gear to keep up speed, so I found myself accelerating much more to compensate. 

Overtaking is now a more considered operation. 

Although a small price to pay to get the quiet super smooth turbo petrol DSG combination.

I've just changed from a automatic 130hp turbodiesel to the 1.5TSI DSG and would say the loss of diesel torque at motorway speeds is pretty much made up for by the extra hp. 

I drove to Bristol and back at the weekend (from Bromley) and if anything I felt the Karoq was more likely to keep me out of trouble if I needed to put my foot down in a hurry. 

I couldn't be happier with it really. 

20 minutes ago, Eddaminna said:

I've just changed from a automatic 130hp turbodiesel to the 1.5TSI DSG and would say the loss of diesel torque at motorway speeds is pretty much made up for by the extra hp. 

I drove to Bristol and back at the weekend (from Bromley) and if anything I felt the Karoq was more likely to keep me out of trouble if I needed to put my foot down in a hurry. 

I couldn't be happier with it really. 

Ah. This is where it falls down a little for me. The last 3 cars I have owned in the last 10 years had 231, 245 and then 181bhp. Its just what I had got used to over time.

I too am extremely  happy with the Karoq.

1 minute ago, The Zee said:

That's good to hear as the 1.5 TSI DSG is my engine of choice.

I am certain you will be very impressed. Im enjoying driving again. 

1 hour ago, OldKaroq said:

The Karoq is my first petrol engined car since the mid 80's. I find it "enthusiastic"  in general - it just wants to get going.

Having now driven motorway 180 miles I found the expected loss in torque over the diesel not to be too much of a problem. Except for long inclines where the engine DSG is stubborn in changing down a gear to keep up speed, so I found myself accelerating much more to compensate. 

Although a small price to pay to get the quiet super smooth turbo petrol DSG combination.

Even the manual car has no problem accelerating in 6th gear past a lorry or slower moving vehicle on the motorway and as the wife puts it (148 v 104 bhp) it's got more poke than her old car.

Done over 1400 miles in my beauty now after a weekend away with the other half and the little one from Southampton to Blackpool (via Chester Zoo!) last weekend. After previously having diesel cars for the last 7 years I was interested to see how this 1.5 TSI would fare on the motorways but this engine is superb! As mentioned above the 1,5 TSI really is capable of getting you out of trouble if needed. 

Just under 3 weeks since I picked the car up and I'm still yet to find something I don't like.....! Slightly off topic but last weekend was the first time I've been out in the car at night (Due to the little ones bedtime!) and the interior mood lights and the Skoda logo under the doors when you open them are really really nice touches. 

Happy days.  

For the odd gear changes you'd have to make I'd put it into manual mode and then you are completely in control.

I used to do this with my Passat which used to change up a gear going uphill from a roundabout just when I was about to overtake in the outside lane and lose all acceleration! DSG is brilliant but it's not very good at looking up the road!

I shall probably be going for the 1.5 DSG and be using the manual mode in those circumstances particularly as top gears are so high nowadays. In the TT I have to change down a gear up inclines if my speed drops to about 65mph and that's got over 200bhp.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, VAGCF said:

For the odd gear changes you'd have to make I'd put it into manual mode and then you are completely in control.

I used to do this with my Passat which used to change up a gear going uphill from a roundabout just when I was about to overtake in the outside lane and lose all acceleration! DSG is brilliant but it's not very good at looking up the road!

I shall probably be going for the 1.5 DSG and be using the manual mode in those circumstances particularly as top gears are so high nowadays. In the TT I have to change down a gear up inclines if my speed drops to about 65mph and that's got over 200bhp.

My Octavia has so much torque (345lb/ft or 467NM at 2,800 rpm) it can go uphill in 6th gear (manual) from 42 MPH. When it was standard used the lap timer in the maxidot to record 50-70 mph in 5th gear in 5.8 seconds. Now does 50-70 mph in 6th gear in 6.0 seconds, no need to change down. Embarrassed an 08 plate Porsche 911 the other day.:D:blink:

Ah. This is where it falls down a little for me. The last 3 cars I have owned in the last 10 years had 231, 245 and then 181bhp. Its just what I had got used to over time.

I too am extremely  happy with the Karoq.

Me too, last car was 328bhp

It's not just about the power and torque though, from a mechanical sympathy point of view I like to keep the revs spinning freely e.g. over 2k. when accelerating and climbing.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, shyVRS245 said:

My Octavia has so much torque (345lb/ft or 467NM at 2,800 rpm) it can go uphill in 6th gear (manual) from 42 MPH. When it was standard used the lap timer in the maxidot to record 50-70 mph in 5th gear in 5.8 seconds. Now does 50-70 mph in 6th gear in 6.0 seconds, no need to change down. Embarrassed an 08 plate Porsche 911 the other day.:D:blink:

You can understand me missing my 330D sometimes. 550NM.  Whats the 15 TSI? 250? 

slightly off topic but we have found the DSG great when going down hills too, there are a couple in the Dover and Folkestone area that are incredibly steep and the DSG actually stayed in a low gear despite not being on cruise control that had been one of my concerns when switching from a manual

14 minutes ago, womanofkent said:

slightly off topic but we have found the DSG great when going down hills too, there are a couple in the Dover and Folkestone area that are incredibly steep and the DSG actually stayed in a low gear despite not being on cruise control that had been one of my concerns when switching from a manual

haha, so a local karoq to myself (ashford). I found my 1.5 manual great on the hills, including jubilee way over the  Dover docks. hope you are enjoying your' s as much as I am mine !!! 

34 minutes ago, OldKaroq said:

You can understand me missing my 330D sometimes. 550NM.  Whats the 15 TSI? 250? 

Yes 250NM as standard hoping for around 320NM after the re-map, should pull like a diesel then without the harshness and vibrations. The 330D was a great engine by the way and very tuneable if you took it to the right place.:D

5 minutes ago, shyVRS245 said:

Yes 250NM as standard hoping for around 320NM after the re-map, should pull like a diesel then without the harshness and vibrations. The 330D was a great engine by the way and very tuneable if you took it to the right place.:D

when are you thinking of remapping and where will you get that done ? 

9 minutes ago, shyVRS245 said:

Is a 1.5 remap available now? I haven't found one even for the Golf.

I don't think I'd do it anyway with the DSG gearbox, it's only rated to 250NM isnt it?

2 minutes ago, Jimhem81 said:

when are you thinking of remapping and where will you get that done ? 

Probably in September at AmD in Essex. Had six cars re-mapped there over the past 22 years. They are excellent and cars tend to become even more economical. My VRS245 now has 302bhp yet averaged 48mpg on my 26 mile motorway commute. Cake and eating it me thinks!:D

5 minutes ago, TheRoq said:

Is a 1.5 remap available now? I haven't found one even for the Golf.

I don't think I'd do it anyway with the DSG gearbox, it's only rated to 250NM isnt it?

If you look hard enough on this forum one guy with a 276bhp Superb SEL has uprated the stock engine with a DSG gearbox to over 500bhp and more than 500NM of torque. VW Group engines and gearboxes can take alot of extra grunt without giving any reliability issues. My Octavia used more oil when it was standard because I was having to rev it harder but has used no oil since March because it gives mighty performance below 5,500 rpm so no need to take to the 7,000 rev limit.

22 minutes ago, shyVRS245 said:

My fave engine of all time! Even if it was a diesel it was quiet and refined.

I was once overtaking and the car I was overtaking increased speed, so I could not pull back over. Now I was in the lane approaching an oncoming car  One of the very rare occasions when I put my foot to the floor. For me, it seemed I was in an episode of Star Trek with the stars flashing by. (I think it was adrenalin) Scary quick. 

If you are driving a small capacity petrol engine with a smallish turbo and active cylinder technology and engine management suited to economy then just give it some throttle to get a move on.

It will do twice the UK NSL anyway with the throttle to the floor, or twice the 70 mph limit if you want.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Offski said:

If you are driving a small capacity petrol engine with a smallish turbo and active cylinder technology and engine management suited to economy then just give it some throttle to get a move on.

It will do twice the UK NSL anyway with the throttle to the floor, or twice the 70 mph limit if you want.

Agree but 185bhp should drop the 0-60mph time to about 7.7 seconds and improve in gear response to, without affecting economy too much overall. With an extra 64 bhp my VRS245 now averages 39.2MPG while before re-map it averaged 39.9 Mpg , not much difference given the extra performance.