Lane assist and signal indicator

vadimo

I notice that when on motorway and lane assist is active it keeps me in lane (Thank you Skoda) but as soon as i signal to switch in to another Lane, it tries pull me back in.

Surely system should let it go, as the road is clear and assist should recognise the user is changing Lane by using the turn signal?

I believe the only time it fights you even when signaling is when the blind spot detection system spots a car in the lane you are moving into. 

Surely if your indicating the car recognises that you are in control, if nit there is a potentially serious issue.

The Scooby has two stages switched on it warns and move the steering if you move out of lane without a turn indicator and switched off give you a warning if you cross the lane, without the turn signal. (This can be turned off in the settings) I’m happy with the way this works I’d rather have clear indications rather than none.

I found this at first, then I realised you have to indicate in plenty of time so the green sign to show the lane assist is active on the dash board turns to orange and is temporarily disabled while you manoeuvre.

2 minutes ago, Karman said:

I found this at first, then I realised you have to indicate in plenty of time so the green sign to show the lane assist is active on the dash board turns to orange and is temporarily disabled while you manoeuvre.

All seems very complicated - glad I went for the SE L. 

5 hours ago, Karman said:

I see, hmm that's too slow for me then, iits mirror > signal > maneuver not mirror > signal > wait, let car process this > miss maneuver > start again > good luck 

I found that if you signal and manoeuvre at the same time it does try to pull you back in. But if you signal, wait for a split second and then manoeuvre then its fine.

Just takes a little bit of getting used to.

2 hours ago, RichardPB said:

I found that if you signal and manoeuvre at the same time it does try to pull you back in. But if you signal, wait for a split second and then manoeuvre then its fine.

Basically that is what I do, I just made it sound long winded

I am just thankful I do not have this system fitted to my car, it would drive me crazy. In advanced driving I train drivers to avoid signalling where there are no other road users that would benefit. When the decision to signal is an informed one, the driver has to look, actually think about what they see and then decide whether to talk with flashing bulbs.  Why would you talk to yourself? Imagine when a multi lane road is fairly empty and you don't need to indicate, that bloomin system will keep shaking the wheel as it does on some cars and then tell you off for moving without flashing a bulb to an empty road. No, you can keep that lane assist system to yourselves guys. Mind you, some of you guys have found out that if you signal and move at the same time, it pulls you back, at last it has some benefit. After all, just because you indicate, are you not trying to inform other road users of your intention, not state what you are actually doing! If you signal and move at the same time, it gives other road users no warning at all, Can you tell I am not greatly impressed with some car tech.

2 hours ago, RichardPB said:

So... Mirror, signal, manoeuvre. Lost on so many! 

....... I did go for really useful stuff like heated windscreen (less scraping) heated steering wheel (warm hands) heated seat (warm a@se) and spare wheel (better than a can of gunk). 

As for the other gizmos  I prefer to steer a car in the lane and use mirrors etc etc.  As I am driving anyway. 

34 minutes ago, roaddetective said:

I am just thankful I do not have this system fitted to my car, it would drive me crazy. In advanced driving I train drivers to avoid signalling where there are no other road users that would benefit. When the decision to signal is an informed one, the driver has to look, actually think about what they see and then decide whether to talk with flashing bulbs.  Why would you talk to yourself? Imagine when a multi lane road is fairly empty and you don't need to indicate, that bloomin system will keep shaking the wheel as it does on some cars and then tell you off for moving without flashing a bulb to an empty road. No, you can keep that lane assist system to yourselves guys. Mind you, some of you guys have found out that if you signal and move at the same time, it pulls you back, at last it has some benefit. After all, just because you indicate, are you not trying to inform other road users of your intention, not state what you are actually doing! If you signal and move at the same time, it gives other road users no warning at all, Can you tell I am not greatly impressed with some car tech.

you can disable these systems

Edited by vadimo

In our Edition, it is as above really which is when lane assist shows green and you signal to change lanes the lane assist goes orange and lets you move across easily, IMHO if it makes people more likely to indicate  it's a positive, my driving instructor always drummed into me about indicating as he said you aren't just indicating for other drivers but for pedestrians too.

Just an aside as we are talking about lane assist, 3 times yesterday on a long journey when husband driving it beeped to say you must be in control - something similar.  He had his hand on the steering wheel each time anyone else have this issue?  If you are on the motorway staying in one lane due to no traffic you are unlikely to be keep moving your hands on the steering wheel, well he tends to keep his hand in one position anyway.

I was reading something last week that suggested such systems would be compulsory on new cars from 2020. 

I don't find lane assist and indicating too big a deal, if anything it encourages people to indicate, something that seems quite rare these days....

4 hours ago, TheRoq said:

That's very positive, but i wonder what happens if people start to rely on this Tech too much ? What happens if system failure occurs and causes accident, who you going to blame? the system? 

Isn't some manufactures get buyers to sign disclaimer that they are not to be held responsible and etc?

Like the guy caught going down the motorway sitting in the passenger seat of his Tesla.

Hopefully everyone remembers its driver assistance, not replacement (yet!).

On 17/05/2018 at 21:39, vadimo said:

I am just thankful I do not have this system fitted to my car, it would drive me crazy. In advanced driving I train drivers to avoid signalling where there are no other road users that would benefit.

So why would you be changing lane if no other vehicles about? 

9 hours ago, vadimo said:

That's very positive, but i wonder what happens if people start to rely on this Tech too much ? What happens if system failure occurs and causes accident, who you going to blame? the system? 

Isn't some manufactures get buyers to sign disclaimer that they are not to be held responsible and etc?

In my experience I wouldn't have thought people can rely on it on UK roads.  I live on a bendy country road and although I know the road well I had thought that the lane assist would work on it, a number of other drivers cross the white line and I had thought if something hit me I could say well I have lane assist and use that to prove I was on the correct side of road NO because it doesn't work.  IME it works well on motorways and dual carriageways where there are white lines either side of the lane but the majority of roads we drive on in rural Kent the symbol doesn't go green or if it does it only works intermittently.

4 hours ago, womanofkent said:

In my experience I wouldn't have thought people can rely on it on UK roads.  I live on a bendy country road and although I know the road well I had thought that the lane assist would work on it, a number of other drivers cross the white line and I had thought if something hit me I could say well I have lane assist and use that to prove I was on the correct side of road NO because it doesn't work.  IME it works well on motorways and dual carriageways where there are white lines either side of the lane but the majority of roads we drive on in rural Kent the symbol doesn't go green or if it does it only works intermittently.

Agreed these systems work very well on relatively straight roads with decent lane markings. Radar or optical systems can not see around corners and with the exception of the centre lane crossing audio sound not much else is functional. Obviously ACC works but only on a normal cruise control mode until it can see what’s ahead. I still find it exceptionally useful and a joy in roads works on the M1, ACC works brilliantly and the Subaru easily sees the temporary green “cats eyes” road markers that they use.

• Like 2