Skoda Octavia mk3 63 plate

Hi all first time here and I'm after a bit of help in identifying a worrying problem problem started about a month ago lazy starting, fading lights, failure of power steering so I was told it was failure of the alternator. I changed the alternator nd all seemed fine again but after about a week I got an error stabilisation control warning (esc) nd the power steering failed so it was like driving an old tractor this problem disappeared after a few hours nd car was fine again but it's happening about once a week for a few hours nd then back to normal. Same thing all the time warning lights when starting (esc) start/stop error nd failed power steering but then it's back to normal after a few hours.........help me pls 

48 minutes ago, SWBoy said:

How old is your battery?

The symptoms you describe suggest a battery not holding charge.

I’d have gone with this too. Reduced cold cranking amperage will show up as lazy starting. Also worth checking your battery earth strap for good clean connections too at both ends.

Gaz

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Doddsy405 said:

But since I changed the alternator over a month ago it's not a lazy starter anymore?????

As suggested earlier, check all the battery battery connections are tight - including checking the earth strap at both ends.

And bear in mind that your battery is around 5 years old - if it's the original battery on a 63 plate car - and that's well beyond the guarantee period.

Edited by SWBoy
  • Like 1

As others have noted this sounds like a battery that's approaching its end of useful life. My 63 is on its original still and I'm expecting to need to replace it soon. It's working absolutely fine though.

• Like 1

Diesel or a Petrol?

Diesels have some starting issues well documented on here.

Could be the change to summer fuel has made the starting issue less apparent but the underlying battery issue still remains.

Edited by KevC_Derby
  • Like 1

Check all connections.  See if you can borrow a charger to give your battery a boost overnight.  If its fine after a charge and then fails a while later, it's probably the battery.  Also check that the new alternator is producing the correct voltage when running.  If the battery and alt' are good then it could be one of the various starting issues which in my experience only a remap can sort.

• Thanks 1

Start up the engine and put a voltmeter across the terminals. Google it if you need. Should be able to get a multimeter for a few quid. If the voltage is too low then the new alt' is wrong somehow (doubt this is the case). Should be 13-14v if I remember rightly. Then the battery voltage should be 12.5v roughly when all turned off. If it's below 12 then it's knackered. Sometimes they can be recovered with a couple of deep charge cycles. But usually when it's dead it's dead.