Swapping 1.6TDI Engine with 2.0 VRS TDI engine

16 minutes ago, logiclee said:

You could spend thousands upgrading the 1.6's engine, gearbox, suspension and brakes.

Then it will cost you more to insure a modified car and any reliability issues.

And then your resale vale will plummet as the market for a modded Octavia is tiny.

if you are not going to be happy with a simple remap then just part exchange it for a VRS. It will cost less money in the long run and you will have  a reliable car with more performance and better resale.

Lee

Good points Lee, honestly it's such a tricky one this. Any idea how much more performances a simple remap can yield? Any recommendations in mind ? I appreciate all your help a great deal. Cheers 

2 minutes ago, eddiejonesus said:

Good points Lee, honestly it's such a tricky one this. Any idea how much more performances a simple remap can yield? Any recommendations in mind ? I appreciate all your help a great deal. Cheers 

Most quote around 140bhp, 320NM from the 1.6TDi.

Speak to Ben at Sharkperformance for all the advice you will ever need.

11 minutes ago, skidpan said:

Done more than a few engine swaps in the past and they were simple. First was an Anglia 1000, fitted a 1500 from a Cortina, took a day. Simply remove engine and fit new one, connect auxiliaries, turn key and drive.

Last one I did was to replace a Ford x-flow with a 2 litre Zetec. Needed lots of special parts but once fitted to the engine starting Saturday morning the x-flow was out and the Zetec bolted in before mid afternoon. Fueling and ignition were simple, junk Fords injection/ignition and fit the Webers off the x-flow together with a Weber ignition ECU with a special Zetec loom. All that was fitted by Sunday morning and the engine started first turn of the key, bloody loud though, no exhaust.

Then my knee went, hospital and physio visits, diagnosed as osteoarthritis.

Once the exhaust manifold was eventually made (engine cost me £100, manifold £500!!!!) the car was back on the road. About 170 bhp.

Well worth the effort, not worth the pain though.

Woow that was some epic effirt with yo engine swap. Well played! Any long term issues with any of the swapped cars? Have you swapped any VAG engines if so any details you can share or cautionary tales? I'm literally learning all I can

5 minutes ago, eddiejonesus said:

Woow that was some epic effirt with yo engine swap. Well played! Any long term issues with any of the swapped cars? Have you swapped any VAG engines if so any details you can share or cautionary tales? I'm literally learning all I can

Been lucky, no problems. Did the original swap in 2002 using the £100 scrap engine but in 2009 I bought a brand new crate Zetec (cost about £500) and fitted that. Replaced the Webers and ignition with Jenvey TB's and MBE ECU and the engine is now much stronger in the mid range, bit more power at the top end and instead of 26 mpg now does 34 mpg. Granny could drive it to the shops.

Looked at swapping the 8V in a GTi for a 16V back in the early 90's but it was virtually impossible to insure one at the time (my 8V got nicked once) so quickly forgot that one. But that swap was relatively strait forward and a well trodden path.

14 minutes ago, logiclee said:

Most quote around 140bhp, 320NM from the 1.6TDi.

Speak to Ben at Sharkperformance for all the advice you will ever need.

Defo will speak to Ben, is it the shop based in Mansfield? 140bhp is very good for a quick remap.  I remember my brother squeezing a few more bhp's with some other minor changes like exhaust system and a few other bits on his GTI a while back so could try these with a remap see what happens. It was cheap back then too! 

2 minutes ago, Croat said:

Just buy RS!

:biggrin: I defo would just buy new RS if money was no object mate! I only like the MK3 Octy though and RS still a bit pricey for a decent one. I drive loads daily so I'm looking at a car to drive kinda fast kinda cheaply for a few years till my baby starts school and I'm rich again !!! :)

7 minutes ago, logiclee said:

Main branch is in Mansfield but more dealerships available through the UK.

http://www.sharkperformance.co.uk/dealers/

Oh yes I see, cheers mate I'll give em a buzz Tuesday when they open. Do u know anyone who does body kits. Might dress her up too while I'm at it, nothing extreme probably VRS bumpers 

2 hours ago, eddiejonesus said:

Oh yes I see, cheers mate I'll give em a buzz Tuesday when they open. Do u know anyone who does body kits. Might dress her up too while I'm at it, nothing extreme probably VRS bumpers 

might be worth getting the bits from a scrapyard. Front bumper from a rear end write off, rear end from a front end write off.

A lot of it, I'd imagine, would screw straight on

13 hours ago, juan27 said:

Wasn't there a non VRS model  with the VRS diesel in it? That would be a good place to start for a "sleeper" surely. 

The engine is availble as a non-vrs 4x4 DSG here. So naturally the vrs tdi didnt sell very well. The TSI vrs do sell a bit better, but its still uncommon.

Octys here are either the version with the smallest enigne or the 184bhp tdi/1.8TSI, both with 4x4. 

And its quite a bit of Scouts around...

Hi all, probably totally silly question but apart from the capacity (ccm), is there any difference between the Octy 1.6 TDI CLHA (EA288) & the 2.0TDI CUPA (EA288) engines? Would the CPU read these engines as the same if you did swap them around since they're both EA288 engine code? (It's EA288 engine code family).  I'm intrigued coz the more research I do, the less differences I find in a lot of these VAG engines. I figure since they're mass produced, it's cheaper to make everything the same and simply tune them differently or put one or two different components to produce more power or drive differently enough for the buyer to have a choice!?? & pay more money of course for the fancier tuned engines. 

I doubt they’ll be plug and play but the architecture should be compatible.

There will be physical differences in ancilliary items such as Fuel Pump, Water Pump, Radiator(s), Alternator??? etc and thresholds such as Timing, EGR, Cold Start etc. will probably need re-mapping.

If you want a vRS just get one.

If you want a project car then a 1.6d to 2.0d isnt going to turn too many heads

• Thanks 1

If youre wanting to know what goes into taking a 1.6TDi to 200bhp

The GTC1549VZ and the Octavia vRS TDI turbo (GTD1446 iirc) will take the 1.6 to 200bhp but will require a DPF delete.

Ref costs I'm currently sitting at £2437 thats not including getting the car transported to the mappers or the hire car i had to get to run around getting parts that we couldn't get to fit as we had 4 days to put it together and that is also not the final figure as when we put the turbo i had bought (GTC1552vz) it was making boost till 3000rpm wereas the 1549s come on boost alot lower (full boost at 2300-2500) so the tuner took the turbo off it last week and we getting another which then needs to be fitted and dyno time)

If it was me and i had a 1.6 octavia id just swap it for a vRS as it would be cheaper with the cost difference between the cars and less stressful(which @hutchysrs50 can confirm)

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, KevC_Derby said:

There will be physical differences in ancilliary items such as Fuel Pump, Water Pump, Radiator(s), Alternator??? etc and thresholds such as Timing, EGR, Cold Start etc. will probably need re-mapping.

Cheers Kev, 

i' m simply finding out as much as I can coz I've got a guy who can do most of this stuff mechanically. Only issue is I have to tell him what I want and he'll probably build it. I've already got an immaculate Octy so I am tempted to build it into something more. My guy is in Germany so if u know any modifications been done to German diesels send me a link and will have a look.... thanks 

1 hour ago, KevC_Derby said:

It’s pretty much all plug and play. 

20 minutes ago, AMD87 said:

The GTC1549VZ and the Octavia vRS TDI turbo (GTD1446 iirc) will take the 1.6 to 200bhp but will require a DPF delete.

Ref costs I'm currently sitting at £2437 thats not including getting the car transported to the mappers or the hire car i had to get to run around getting parts that we couldn't get to fit as we had 4 days to put it together and that is also not the final figure as when we put the turbo i had bought (GTC1552vz) it was making boost till 3000rpm wereas the 1549s come on boost alot lower (full boost at 2300-2500) so the tuner took the turbo off it last week and we getting another which then needs to be fitted and dyno time)

If it was me and i had a 1.6 octavia id just swap it for a vRS as it would be cheaper with the cost difference between the cars and less stressful(which @hutchysrs50 can confirm)

You my friend are a legend. This is the type of info and experience I'm after. I've defo not got the experience for a lot of work nor knowledge to source parts..... thanks a lot 

1 hour ago, AMD87 said:

DPF delete? - MOT has just changed to spot this. It's also a up to a £1000 fine to drive with one deleted (er if caught!).

15 minutes ago, bigjohn said:

DPF delete? - MOT has just changed to spot this. It's also a up to a £1000 fine to drive with one deleted (er if caught!).

That’s not bad I somehow thought it was £2500. Thankfully CR’s are pretty clean. 

Also its always been part of the MOT. 

Edited by AMD87

23 minutes ago, AMD87 said:

That’s not bad I somehow thought it was £2500. Thankfully CR’s are pretty clean. 

Also its always been part of the MOT. 

£2500 is for vans etc £1000 is for cars

It's been a visual check for a few years but it's just got a lot tougher as of the 20th May. Any visible smoke is a major fail for a diesel fitted with a DPF and if you have a welded patch on the DPF case you have to have a good explanation and proof (receipt) for any work done (eg cleaning) 

Edited by bigjohn
20th May - not 25th

1 minute ago, bigjohn said:

£2500 is for vans etc £1000 is for cars

It's been a visual check for a few years but it's just got a lot tougher as of the 25th May. Any visible smoke is a major fail for a diesel fitted with a DPF and if you have a welded patch on the DPF case you have to have a good explanation and proof (receipt) for any work done (eg cleaning) 

It’s not any smoke as if anyone got an mot done in the winter then they would be screwed. On the vin plate there’s an amount and it has to meet that. 

2 minutes ago, AMD87 said:

It’s not any smoke as if anyone got an mot done in the winter then they would be screwed. On the vin plate there’s an amount and it has to meet that. 

Not steam but:-

From https://www.gov.uk/government/news/mot-changes-20-may-2018

"Your vehicle will get a major fault if the MOT tester:

• can see smoke of any colour coming from the exhaust
  • finds evidence that the DPF has been tampered with"