No power, Then power.

Hi,

Had a strange one this morning.

Took car for wheel alignment and balance and “free” 15 point check on front after slight steering wheel vibration at 70-80. Was told something about the OS was 45%...and so on... It was out is all I understood.

All done. Hit the motorway to test and all's good. I only had 1-1/2 gallon fuel so stuck £20 in.

After turning round at motorway services after doing about ten mile – I stopped for 15 minutes there.

There was no power on acceleration coming back. And it wouldn't go past 60mph and cruise control stopped working.

No poke at all.

Near home I pulled over. Put it in 2nd and let the clutch out till it stalled. Same with 1st.

( Nothing wrong with the clutch. )

I set off and it pulled away as good as it should. And the cruise worked again..

( I've cleaned jet's and lines 3 times over the 3 years of having it. It's always responsive normally. )

Could it have been some rubbish from the tank bottom and if so why did it also knock the cruise control out ?

Any ideas welcome.

( Just to add I had the handbrake on when stalled it in 2nd. ) 

Edited by 2goat

It definitely sounds like limp mode (in which cruise is disabled so that explains that), but a VCDS scan will confirm as advised. I would also suspect overboost protection caused by coked up turbo vanes (if you have one).

If it is that, some including me, had success with the cheap Mr Muscle turbo clean (there is a long thread about it - search Mr Muscle).  In the end I had to replace my turbo though as it was only a temporary reprieve.

Adam

• Thanks 1

Definitely sounds like sticky turbo veins. Mine happens when I leave it in say 4th gear and put my foot down. Kicks in near the top of the Rev range. I don't get any dash lights and if you turn the car off and straight back on its back to normal. 

Try  giving it a good blast in 2nd and 3rd to clear some crap out. I ended up doing the mr muscle trick which got me a year before it started again.

• Thanks 1

Thank for all the help.. I've seen a few video's on youtube talking about mass air flow sensors.  EGR valve and so on..  Yes I think it was the turbo, just wasn't kicking in.  And there were no dash warning lights.

But it's OK now so no idea still.  I have some EGR cleaner in the boot and will spray it with engine running over the weekend. 

And blow some tinned compressed air into the air flow. 

Then take it for a long run.  I've only been doing a couple of mile around town every few day's over the last couple months and think it needs a blast.

I'll also drop some cleaner in the tank.. 

It's a 1.9 Tdi. 

Cheer's. 

Also just found this, thanks.   

Edited by 2goat

I did the oven cleaner trick to my turbo a few months ago, did the trick and still going strong. I expect it'll be something I have to do on a fairly regular basis as part of an annual service or something to keep the problem at bay.

• Thanks 1

Yes I had two years out of it too, but then it happened too often as to be potentially unsafe.

As said, driving it like you stole it occasionally helps (but within the speed limit of course!). Not sure I would bother with the tank cleaner though, always thought it was snake oil...

• Thanks 1

Hi all,

I've had the car up the motorway for a blast - high rev's.   All is OK though I still want to do the oven cleaner.

( Pound shop large tin and the nozzle is off a 99p compressed air tin .  I think most tins, WD40, Air... Are a slandered nozzle size.. )

Am I right to take the clip off the hose  in photo 1 and spray oven cleaner down the pipe ?  Also should the engine be hot or cold ?

( That pipe go's behind the engine and down so I'm presuming it go's to the Turbo... ? And in the video above the guy has taken his EDR off.. )

Leave it for an hour then take it for a long run..?  

Thank for the help..  

Pipe_1[1].jpg

Pipe_2[1].jpg

Foam[1].jpg

Edited by 2goat

No No No! The oven cleaner has to be squirted directly into the exhaust side of the Turbo. This involves getting underneath the car, disconnecting the exhaust side and filling with the foam a few times. This is where the variable vanes are situated. All you'll do by squirting that in there is.... well, I've no idea what would happen but it won't work as intended and might damage something!

• Thanks 1

I'd suggest trying Forte Turbo cleaner first. The MrMuscle trick.. I would try that as last resort. 

Since the car seems to enter limp mode already I would try 'the repair application' as listed in their manual

https://www.forte-nwe.pl/forte-wprowadza-nowy-produkt-forte-diesel-turbo-cleaner/productleaflet-forte-diesel-turbo-cleaner

For repair technical application: Add 2 x 400ml Forté Diesel Turbo Cleaner together with 1 dosage Forté Advanced Diesel Fuel Conditioner to 50 liter diesel max

Just put in 2 bottles of turbo cleaner, 1 bottle of diesel fuel conditioner, and approx 30l diesel (I prefer to use a little stronger than running it on a 50l diesel) and take the car for some driving. When the engine is on its operating temperature (these days I think 10min drive should be enough), and then... burn the **** out of it..  by driving like a maniac (Well, with attention to the speed limits off course, but don't spare the engine by switching gears at low rpm). Switch gears when you're reaching 4000rpm (almost to the red), slow down, and rerun till 4000rpm.

I've done this during a day out to Germany, drove 160km/hour in 4th gear. sounds like crazy.. but you're pretty sure the turbo is working like crazy :)

Lowering speed to 2000rpm, and retry.. Did this for approx 30min, and a few days later (didn't like it to run 30l diesel at once... takes hours.

I myself use 1 bottle every year, just to do some preventive mainenance. Didn't have a visual look at the turbo if it makes any sense, but so far, my 1.9TDI (BJB engine) never entered limp mode yet, and still has its orginal turbo (now at 240k miles / 391k km)

If my turbo is eventually causing issues, I'll try the MrMuscle thing, but since that involves some more work (you've to access the turbo from below) I'll do that only if there is no other option left.

Edited by DJSmiley
  • Thanks 1

Guy's thank you.  I'm confused about this because of youtube video's..  Also I couldn't find a clear diagram of the turbo - even in the manual.. 

( And my car doesn't make any whining sounds as this bloke in the video below say's.. It was just that one day it went limp after having the wheels balanced at Halfords. )

Now found the link below and will get the cleaner and put into the tank.  The car is still very responsive.  At alleged 90mph it still - ( I heard ) - pulls and accelerates.. 

It's only done 71K.  An old guy had it from new before me and although it was looked after very well, it had only done 58K when I bought it 2 years ago. 

It had been serviced and new water pump an cam belt.  And has never had any advisory.  Since I've had it I've used cleaner in the tank twice, Liquid Moli.  Once with Wynn's.  And changed the fuel filter and put a tin of Liquid Moli in there as well when changed filter..  And changed the oil and filter twice.  And had it on a few long runs over 100 miles, though recently - last 6 months - it's only been used pottering around.

I really don't want to be stripping the car down to get to the Exhaust inlet.  I'll go and get some Wynn's today, fill it up, put two tins in, and take it up the M1 tomorrow. 

I have been high rev-ing it even in second - third up hills whenever possible. 

I also have another link below with question.

Thanks for the help. 

Now found this link which shows the inlet clearly, and where the Mr Muscle and the like get's sprayed into thanks. 

http://www.dieselturbocleaner.co.uk/how-to-use-diesel-turbo-cleaner

Edited by 2goat

I have some Wynn's EGR cleaner already to use in my boot. On video's I see people spraying it into the air intake.. The same way this guy ^ in the video above in previous link is saying he's cleaning the turbo ? 

( The same pipe I posted when asking about Mr Muscle in previous post ^^^^ )  

Should I go ahead and take the clip off while engines running and spray it in short burst until the can is empty ? ( The spray tin of EGR cleaner I have that is. )

Second.. What this guy is doing in this video. Does it work ?

Many thinks. 

Edited by 2goat

EGR cleaner is used on the intake, like in the video. However, your issues doesn't seem to be EGR related, but the turbo.

About the Wynns: I don't have experience with that. Generally, people seem to recommend Forte above Wynns.

Mileage is not (directly) related to turbo issues. A car which only drives in small towns, with 50k miles on it, can have issues, while a car with 200k miles, mainly long motorway trips, doesn't. 

Stripping down the car to the exhaust inlet to use MrMuscle.. it's probably not that hard, but you've to get underneath the car to do it properly. I myself didn't do that yet (don't have to since Forte works fine so far), and also, I don't have proper jacks and/or axle stands to get under the car safely.

• Thanks 1

Thanks DJSmiley,

Yes understand about a car just being used at slow speeds around town - diesels. 

I'll order the Forte's online. 

I have some axle stands.  And now think it would be worth me jacking it up, take wheels off, and having a look underneath. 

When I first got it there was a lot of soot which I blew out over the first few months. 

I understand it more now, thanks.  

Looked into the workings of turbo's and now see.

Make sure there's no wobble and get the carbon off it.

Have also found info about my next oil change.  I'll drain 1 1/2 Lt of oil and then add 1 1/2 Lt of diesel into the oil refill.  Run on idle for 15 minutes then drain before putting the new oil in.

To do an engine clean.  

As with the turbo, injector's, cylinder's, I now see how it's about clearing carbon.. 

( I also change air filter with oil change. )

Much appreciated help, thanks.  

20 hours ago, 2goat said:

Have also found info about my next oil change.  I'll drain 1 1/2 Lt of oil and then add 1 1/2 Lt of diesel into the oil refill.  Run on idle for 15 minutes then drain before putting the new oil in.

Engine flush is not recommended as loose carbon can block the small oil capillaries, regular oil changes with a good quality oil would be better, 

Also no need to remove exhaust to do Mr Muscle, loads of vids on you tube showing how to fill turbo from the EGR pipe, the best way to avoid carbon building up in the future is to regularly excerise the turbo,  short trips pottering around will allow the carbon to build up to get worse, these 1.9pd engines are great but don't like being driven like miss daisy.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Cryonut,

That's what I'm getting confused about... Where to squirt the Mr Muscle in..  I've seen some of the video's..

Can you tell me which part of the EGR pipe ?  Is it to the left side - ( Which I've had off before to look directly into the EGR )  Or another part..

I've got two bottles of Forte Turbo and  engine cleaner ordered and have planned a couple hundred miles trip end of this week. Mainly on motorways. 

And up and around country hill roads where I'll keep it in a low gear, high revs. 

My oil changes have been 5000 miles, including all filter changes. 

It's post such as this LINK which "bother's " me..

I'd much rather stick stuff in the tank then risk something like this happening.. 

http://uk-mkivs.net/topic/335754-think-i-just-broke-my-car-mr-muscle-turbo-clean/

https://imgur.com/a/DXIO4

Though the end result was him cracking the hose when taking it off or putting it back on... 

Edited by 2goat

22 hours ago, 2goat said:

I'll drain 1 1/2 Lt of oil and then add 1 1/2 Lt of diesel into the oil refill.  Run on idle for 15 minutes then drain before putting the new oil in.

If yours is a PD engine, that's a truly dreadful idea.

3 minutes ago, Wino said:

If yours is a PD engine, that's a truly dreadful idea.

The Mr Muscle ?   OK Got-ya.. I Didn't see the link Wino..  

Edited by 2goat