Really daft question

I doubt this very much but does sport mode on my 2017 vrs 230 affect the brakes performance Just someone was trying to tell me there brakes are better(more bite)  in sport mode than normal in his 2018 Golf gtd. Iv'e  told him it's a place bo mate! But he ain't having it.then I started thinking I hope I'm not wrong! As he's a stubborn little bugger and never wrong.i wanna make sure I'm 100% right first....

what is different in the driving modes are described in the manual.

Nothing brake related is changed. Don't know how you could change them. Only thing I could think of would be similar to the tps and the severity of the braking comes in sooner

To be fair, I'd want the brakes to be a constant so you always know what to expect from them.

There is a thing  but no idea whether this is on the VW range or not.

I know it was a feature of a previously owned Hyundai Santa Fe 'R" diesel (about 2013 build) and I only experienced it once in one of our local backstreets.

I was travelling slowly at night and saw something out of the corner of my eye and lifted my foot very quickly off the accelerator and onto the brake where my intention was to just cover in case I had to stop quickly, but the car suddenly came to an abrupt stop.

Bit of a shock for me and my wife and we were thrown against the seatbelts and I swore I barely touched the brake pedal

The brakes on the Santa Fe were noted to be a bit spongy and there is no way I pressed them that hard especially at that point it had not been my intention to brake  but was just ready to. 

We already had a mk2 Octavia at the time and that required far less pressure on the pedal to brake than the Santa Fe.

I'm pretty sure it was listed as EBA (emergency brake assist) although obviously no radar involved it just reacted to quick movement off accelerator and onto brake.

Can't say I liked it or felt in control.

The thing out of the corner of my eye was a cat that dashed alongside us but not across our path.

Crew protect assist affects braking. It did occurred to me once in the highway, when suddenly cars in front started emergency braking. I did a bit overreact, so did the car.

Car continued maximum braking even I have lifted the foot of the pedal immediately, and tensioned seat belts so hard, I was shocked. A second later, it released everything, brake and myself, letting me catch my breath. I can repeat now this action and doesn't look that scary as it was the first time. Never occurred again by accident, normally my attention on the road is far ahead of any surprise. 

While I dont think that Sport mode will affect the amount of braking (stopping distance etc) you could expect that it would pre-prime the braking system so that full braking is available immediately when you press the pedal rather than the gradual affect you have normally.

I see this behaviour often when braking to manually override ACC when coming off the highway.

It takes some getting used to so that you dont throw the entire contents of the car through the front window.

14 minutes ago, Gabbo said:

While I dont think that Sport mode will affect the amount of braking (stopping distance etc) you could expect that it would pre-prime the braking system so that full braking is available immediately when you press the pedal rather than the gradual affect you have normally.

I see this behaviour often when braking to manually override ACC when coming off the highway.

It takes some getting used to so that you dont throw the entire contents of the car through the front window.

If I remember correctly the brakes pre-prime  when you take your foot off the accelerator as the system thinks you are going to brake. foot back on the gas and the system empties.  The Pre fill should work in every driving  mode.

eastern-elsharkawy.com.   << Pre Fill <<

Edited by Auric Goldfinger

4 hours ago, nidza said:

Crew protect assist affects braking. It did occurred to me once in the highway, when suddenly cars in front started emergency braking. I did a bit overreact, so did the car.

Car continued maximum braking even I have lifted the foot of the pedal immediately, and tensioned seat belts so hard, I was shocked. A second later, it released everything, brake and myself, letting me catch my breath. I can repeat now this action and doesn't look that scary as it was the first time. Never occurred again by accident, normally my attention on the road is far ahead of any surprise. 

& the windows opening to allow all 11 airbags to deploy is another unnerving moment, when combined with seatbelts it's a bit of a bigger trying to get the opposite lock on but, does keep you alert !!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, themanwithnoaim said:

& the windows opening to allow all 11 airbags to deploy is another unnerving moment, when combined with seatbelts it's a bit of a bigger trying to get the opposite lock on but, does keep you alert !!!

Have you thought of renaming to "themanwithnoshame" ?

6 hours ago, Gerrycan said:

Have you thought of renaming to "themanwithnoshame" ?

Probably because I am not English native speaker, I always see his nick as "themanwithonion". 

• Haha 3