Puncture

solarfusion

Came out of work to find a large screw in one of my tyres :angry:

Luckily I opted for a spare so didn't have to hang around for someone to turn up in rush hour.

I'm on a PCH with maintenance so apparently have to take it to an ATS euromaster to see if it's repairable under contract or I have to pay for a new tyre.

Warning to anyone who ever has to remove a wheel and the wheel nut covers... Don't use the metal hook thing to remove the caps, use the plastic pliers which I didn't see until I'd scratched the alloys around the wheel nuts (see pic). Not sure why Skoda provided a tool that would damage the alloys :angry:

DSC_3760.JPG

DSC_3759.JPG

That looks repairable to me as it's fairly close to the middle. I had to say goodbye to a tyre with less than 4k miles as mine had a nail or similar right in the corner near the sidewall. Good luck.

2 minutes ago, westie38 said:

That looks repairable to me as it's fairly close to the middle. I had to say goodbye to a tyre with less than 4k miles as mine had a nail or similar right in the corner near the sidewall. Good luck.

Only done just over 2k so fingers crossed it’s repairable. If I’ve done my calculations correctly it’s 52mm from the centre which is within the 60% repair zone for a 215mm tyre.

8 minutes ago, solarfusion said:

Warning to anyone who ever has to remove a wheel and the wheel nut covers... Don't use the metal hook thing to remove the caps, use the plastic pliers which I didn't see until I'd scratched the alloys around the wheel nuts (see pic). Not sure why Skoda provided a tool that would damage the alloys :angry:

DSC_3760.JPG

DSC_3759.JPG

Sorry but you can’t blame Skoda for your faux pas. The metal hook has many functions in different models, including removing grills to fit towing eyes, removing access panels to replace fog light lamps or removing wheel trims. All of which are described in the owners manual, as is using the plastic tweezers to remove the caps from the wheel nuts.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Panther_uk said:

Hey we all have one of those days :D

Yeah. When I had my first puncture (2 day old tyre!) I went nuts and twisted my nuts trying to find the lock nut for the alloys on my Superb II.

Problem was, my car wasn't fitted with them. I had imaginary nuts!  If I had just looked at the nuts on the wheels after taking off the caps....  :fubar:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, TheRobinK said:

Yeah. When I had my first puncture (2 day old tyre!) I went nuts and twisted my nuts trying to find the lock nut for the alloys on my Superb II.

Problem was, my car wasn't fitted with them. I had imaginary nuts!  If I had just looked at the nuts on the wheels after taking off the caps....  :fubar:

Sounds painful twisting your nuts!!!!!!!!

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, solarfusion said:

I'm on a PCH with maintenance so apparently have to take it to an ATS euromaster to see if it's repairable under contract or I have to pay for a new tyre.

Try and keep your options open when you go for the repair.

A tyre shop will make more money from a replacement tyre than a puncture repair.

If ATS decide that it is not repairable it will cost you, but it should be pro rata.

It is not a ten minute job for them as well, lots of forms to fill out.

Thanks AG Falco

The best £10 I've spent.

As your car ages, or after winter, or if the wheels bolts have been over tightened, they can be very dfficult to undo, especially on the side of the road on a scissor (widow maker) jack.

The supplied wheel brace often prevents sufficent leverage to overcome that initial resistance.

A doddle with one of these, I store mine with the jack...

TPOWEB.thumb.jpg.b9bec9d208d95efdc5fb90d156153ba9.jpg

• Like 1

16 hours ago, AGFalco said:

Try and keep your options open when you go for the repair.

A tyre shop will make more money from a replacement tyre than a puncture repair.

Was wary of this but they repaired it no problems.

Halfan hour until closing so they didn't seem bothered about the paperwork when I asked if I needed to sign anything :)

• Like 1

20 hours ago, RichardPB said:

I can't remember seeing any plastic pliers in the inflator kit I have with mine to remove the nut caps. Do you only get them if you opted for the spare?

No you get them with no spare in with the puncture repair kit i did with my last yeti

and if you ever lose yours (like I did, so stole the ones from my wife's Fabia) someone in China will be happy to send you a couple for much cheapness via ebay

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3X-Auto-Wheel-Bolt-Nut-Cover-Caps-Remover-Tool-Tweezers-For-AUDI-VW-8D0012244A-I/322758816282?epid=788419551&hash=item4b25ecb21a:g:UXgAAOSwdPBZwGsh

They're well hidden. This is how they look when combined with the spare wheel in an Octavia, but it illustrates the point.

They are stored vertically in the polystyrene tray and can be very difficult to spot...

IMG_0326.thumb.JPG.ad40e3166ac37680c8b4cb3f103faa09.JPG

IMG_0341.thumb.JPG.89bc7fcb24ca9ba028374dd818f2659c.JPG

Mine doesn't have a polystyrene tray as I doesn't have a spare wheel. The boot mat goes straight onto the boot floor. All I have is the black bag with the compressor, bottle with fluid, metal hook and towing hook.

Could someone else with a 2.0 4x4 without a spare, check what's in their black bag?

20 hours ago, RichardPB said:

Nope, couldn't find them in the little black zipped bag. All that was in there was the compressor, bottle of liquid, metal hook and towing eye.

Very strange, is the 4x4 that much different to the 2x4 ? I had a poly insert with the compressor, bottle of liquid, locking week nut etc. in the middle of where the spare wheel would normally go, plastic pliers were in there !

Much the same here, prior to getting the spare wheel etc, all the bits (including the plastic pliers) where loose in the plastic bag. Easy to lose I guess, have you checked in the side storage bins in the boot area?

When I had my 16 plate Yeti, I had a non repairable puncture at 778 miles. With my 18 plate Karoq I have done a bit better - 1155 miles before a non repairable puncture - thank goodness I had a full size spare in each case.....