Bumper and lights damage

Hi,

My front bumper got damaged while on parking - lady reversed into it..

Have footage from CCTV and onboard camera, so hope no problem on this side..

20180601_122039.thumb.jpg.1dbff861de8c374f054436195cc62752.jpg20180601_114929.thumb.jpg.958ad7b9f1c2ec4d3c718a6449cf278e.jpg

My question - got already two quotations for repair - both body shops wants to replace bumper and main lights, is that unreasonable ?

Black mark between lights is actually crack through plastik, paint is kinf of folding on itself (clearly visible under headlamp washer and second place closer to side of bumper) and main headlights assembly is pushed into bodywork as on second picture. Also washing fluid system is damaged internally, as entire fluid flows from under bottom of bumper rather than from washer jets.

Lady left her contact details on reception and initially answered my phone call and was very sorry. Since that time she has not received my phone calls thou..

Is painting not enough? Is damage severe enough to demand replacement of all parts??

Regards

Robert

Gone are the days where parts are repaired, they're replaced nowadays.

You won't find body shops making plastic repairs to bumpers anymore.

If the headlight has been pushed back and the headlight wash system has been impacted to the point it leaks then a new headlight sounds reasonable to me.

They are bi-xenon headlights, so if the ballast or ignitor mounted to the back of the light is also damaged then it'll be an expensive fix.

Definately an insurance job. Let them take care of it.

• Like 2

Ok,

If she won't reply to my call tomorrow I will go for it.

Different question - thinking about going for an Audi workshop - do you think they would put an emissions fix on my engine??  Assesment guy said they won't as they have no authorisation for this, but.....

?

Regards

Robert

They should ask you before applying the emissions fix, but there have been examples where dealers haven't asked.

Its highly unlikely an Audi dealer would offer to apply the fix on a Skoda though, so I'm sure you'll be OK.

Put a Post-It note on the steering wheel and make sure the receptionist writes on the job card 'Do Not Apply Emissions Fix!' just to be sure.

• Like 1

same scenario as me, car park, reversed into me, caught on dashcam as he left...no details.

I have informed my insurance company (and police) on an information only no claim basis and am pursuing his insurance company direct.

Why shouldn't you have new parts? they were perfect before she drove into them!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, superbdreams said:

I have informed my insurance company (and police) on an information only no claim basis and am pursuing his insurance company direct.

Can you do this? I was on the understanding that even alerting your insurance company to an accident (fault or non-fault, claim or no claim) it still counts against you, as statistically you are now classed as a higher risk?

Strangely, I got same advice from Audi/Bentley car workshop around a corner (quotation for circa 2200pounds) - they would pursue claim from her insurance without me or them bothering my  insurer and digging into my NCD... So think this is possible...  ?

Got quotation for 1500 without curtesy car and 2200 with, looking for Skoda dealers quotations as we speak...

She has not answered 3 phone calls but called me straight after one text with info that I go for insurance claim... 

8 hours ago, silver1011 said:

Can you do this? I was on the understanding that even alerting your insurance company to an accident (fault or non-fault, claim or no claim) it still counts against you, as statistically you are now classed as a higher risk?

Of course you can, you can pursue the offender directly if you want also.

Its just easier to deal with their insurance company, also their insurance company can not insist on using a repair shop of their choice.

As regards NCD, my insurance company "aviva" reportedly do not load your insurance for a no fault notification but many do, notably I read the Churchill group which is many names, direct line I believe is one of them.

Whilst I can not guarantee that I wont suffer an increase in premiums as a result of notifying them (of which I have no choice to do so) I have notified the offenders insurance that I will pursue further claims for any ongoing costs as a result.

They of course will try and trip me up with some massively worded legal document stating (though not clearly) that any payment is full and final.

I will reject that and they will refuse to pay and then I will start court proceedings against the offender directly. 

If you do have to notify your insurance company of a no fault incident you must make it very clear that you are not making a claim.

of course avoiding the likes of Churchill group is a good plan too.

I wasn't questioning the ability to pursue the offender directly, it was more the fact that even in a non-fault situation the innocent party still gets financially penalised.

I was on the understanding all insurance companies share information via a huge insurance database, so that by notifying your insurer you are essentially notifying all insurers.

Sure, there are protected no claims policies in place and various other features contained within policies to mitigate against increased premiums, but we're simply paying extra for the add-ons instead of paying the increased premiums.

I guess my point was that regardless of fault you'll always end up paying towards a repair in some way, shape or form.

8 hours ago, silver1011 said:

Yep, this happened to my wife and she is still paying for it even though she still has her no claims.

She wasn't even in the car when the idiot reversed into her old car but because she reported it (but didn't claim anything) when she renewed her policy is was classed as a non fault claim as apparently you're 50% likly to have an accident in the first year after a non fault accident.  

They screw you either way.

12 hours ago, silver1011 said:

I wasn't questioning the ability to pursue the offender directly, it was more the fact that even in a non-fault situation the innocent party still gets financially penalised.

Yes I understood that. as I said though the decision to mark you as a higher risk when you were not even present is not something that all insurance companies do.

It also occurs to me that it is about time the insurance ombudsmen was bombarded with complaints about this, sharp practice comes to mind.

Trouble is most people just want the easiest route.

1 hour ago, superbdreams said:

[...] as I said though the decision to mark you as a higher risk when you were not even present is not something that all insurance companies do. [...]

I'm not saying this is the case, but sometimes the way / place the car was parked can be the reason why accident happened ...

Hmm some info on here does not reflect my experience:

in 2009 my Wife's car was Tboned whilst we sat at a junction,  not our fault other Driver came through and ran into us, the car was written off we of course advised our insurance co and the Police got involved prosecuted the other Driver for there part, we ended up with a courtesy car for 12 Weeks whilst this was all sorted, the other co had the cheek initially of claiming a 50/50 fault erm nope,  see the CCTV showing the moron come through a red light, see the impact that wrecked the car sat at a junction waiting for the other traffic to stop to make a right turn, see the police prosecution for said moron etc etc, we were then offered a value 75% below market value, we replied buy us a car for that price of the same value and specification, another few weeks lost as we wrangled, to cut it short eventually we got market value and the other guy got found guilty points fines etc, what happened next is why am dubious.

My wife went to swap her car insurance (no claim against us remember) only to be told that she would have to pay an extra premium as the car had been written off and her initially policy had been cancelled, "ok can we have a refund of the unused premium" we asked, erm yes but only 25% of the price as it had been in force for 4 Months.

Her new premium for the same vehicle albeit 2 years newer was 1600 extra when questioned we were told it was due to 2 things

1) The Accident, fault no fault etc she was classed as a higher risk

2) The amount the other insurer had to pay out plus the fact they disputed it and still reckoned it was a 50/50 claim

We did all and everything we could to get this reversed but to no avail so for the next 5 years my wifes insurance was affected by this as in "have you had an accident in the last 5 years fault or no fault"  not have you made a claim

be wary and make sure she has also reported this to her insurers or you get the run around and also make sure you make a statement to the Police.

Update after visit to Skoda Authorised body shop: 2080 pounds and advice to go for insurance due to cost level...  Will call her tomorrow to deliver bad news..

Different question: courtesy car - I have pretty much top of the line Superb with auto gearbox, adaptive lights and park assist, if i want courtesy car is it enough to get Honda Jazz or i can and should demand more of the car??

On a sidenote: God, it's expensive....

Regards

Edited by trybar
minor lettering mistakes

we asked for an auto as her car was auto the only one they had was a 2 day old Jag 2.2...was a very nice car:)

but on reflection the hire car bill came to £4200, we probably paid that back almost in extra premiums, just looked at our old notes, the other parties insurer held out for 50/50 so our insurance co ended up stumping up half the bill then  pursuing them for the rest took a couple of years to get it back and in that time it was loaded on the other halfs policy she had no claims protection too and maximum discount all a load of cobblers it means nothing when the time comes to use the insurance for what its designed for!

• 1 month later...

Hi,  to finish it off.

Went for insurer repair, despite 2 weeks late Admiral had no problems accepting my claim, 

Repair was scheduled no problems.

Repairer choice was my mistake - AutoFix West Hampstead London recommended by Admiral, got talked into by Admiral's rep... 

Repair took almost 2 weeks, I was given Hyundai Tucson from Enterprise Rent-A-Car as courtesy car, 17 plates, auto, after I've learnt controls came up as reasonable replacement, nowhere near to my Superb thou

When I got it back bumper and both front lights were replaced, colour almost match, I guest it would use another layer of polish to work perfectly, no problems on technical side of things as well.

What I haven't notices is that on other side of car I've been given for free another layer of white paint dots all over passenger side - car was too close to paint gun and droplets were carried with wind on my car, it was very fine layer and I have mistaken it actually for a dust residue after improper cleaning at car pickup.

So next day I got back to them showing that - I got usual "It definitely couldn't be us", but not very hardly pressed as it was clear like hell they did it and they accepted it for polishing work. As I needed car for next two weeks and job was like for 2 hours we agreed date for 2 weeks later afternoon of Friday with pickup for Saturday morning, no curtesy car (just one evening, no need to make it complex). I got car in, but on Saturday came and heard - "car isn't ready, who told you pickup is for today??" It was their own decision, discussed and scheduled two weeks earlier..

Annoyed, agreed for them to leave it for Saturday with Monday early morning delivery to my work place.

Delivered fine, and all is now working..  

Conclusion:

AutoFix - nice people, but blunder with that white paint and not keeping to schedule.

Skoda - repaired with new parts, no other issues found and I will do VCDS scan as soon as I will be able to stay in car for those 20 mins without air-con on. Paint shade visibly different (no shine) under direct sunlight, but I don't plan to sell it for years so don't care.

Admiral - fairly good job, other person was also their customer so no delays and no fuss.

For next job (hopefully after another 30 years of no accidents) - not to agree for insurer's choice of workshop, don't get talked over by "communication will be faster and they are our reputable repairer"

Regards

30 minutes ago, trybar said:

I will do VCDS scan as soon as I will be able to stay in car for those 20 mins without air-con on

You know you can start the scan and leave it to finish, no need to stay in the car for that period of time? ... :)

The whole repair procedure seems just about right when you expect nothing can go wrong

Yeah, right, I could, but not with 1000 pounds worth of  Surface :) Thanks, but no, thanks ..

Tucson - have mixed feelings about it - had dual-zone aircon, 7 speed auto gearbox, nice display, but no leather, no seat memory, plasticky feel to it. I don't think even better equipment version would talk to me... It was of course 1,7litre petrol, so nowhere near my bhp and it was felt.

• 1 month later...

Well there is a final outcome to the insurance no fault discussion.

you can read it all here but I have successfully achieved a no fault claim, repairs plus hire car, no excess to pay and have just renewed with no increase!

Case of deja vu here.  My Superb Elegance got shunted two weeks ago on the M4.  The third party insurer was Admiral again who arranged a Hyundai Tucson from Avis.  I had already been pointed at a garage by my insurers (LV=), but Admiral were happy with that.  I haven't got my car back yet - it was quite badly hit from behind, so I've yet to see how good the repair will be.

The Tucson is quite reasonable, I was only expecting a Corsa or equivalent, but the Tucson is decently equipped (heated seats, good radio and two zone aircon) and has a good amount of space inside. 

I must agree with Trybar that Admiral handle these things quite well.  The moral seems to be if you're going to get hit hope the other guy is with them.  By contrast LV= were very keen to refer me on to ERAC; presumably they get a backhander referral fee for that and weren't really interested who handled things once they found out they weren't paying. 

ERAC were very cagy about the cost of the car, wouldn't confirm what car I'd get and wanted me to sign a credit hire agreement.  By contrast Admiral are giving me a hired car at £20 a day, which they have agreed to pay for in writing.

from personal experience i would say very much so but hopefully i am wrong,  but for my wife who had full NCD and protected hit by another car whilst stationary, its on record you have made a claim therefore your a higher risk even if its not your fault and this is legal?

On 30/08/2018 at 07:09, superbdreams said:

But are admiral going to penalise you at renewal?

No, my insurer was LV=.  Admiral was the third party insurer - the insurance company of the guy that hit me.  I don't think there is any doubt though that my premium will go up.  I understand that any claim, even a no-fault claim, increases your premium.  I believe that statistically you are a worse risk, even though you weren't at fault.

Admiral's motivation for taking over the claim is so that they can manage the costs, which they are liable for.  If they left it with LV=, then LV= would have no reason to keep costs down as they have no liability.  ERAC probably would have charged them punitive hire charges, while giving me a worse car - making them a tidy profit at Admiral's expense. 

"I understand that any claim, even a no-fault claim, increases your premium."

Only with some insurers and certainly not with Aviva if you have done some groundwork as detailed here,

https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/454807-no-fault-claims-advice/