1.4 TSi Air Filter replacement - Harder than it should be

Cor, what a mission to replace the air filter on a 1.4 TSi when the air box is situated on the top of the engine.   Two nasty pipe clips to remove, a breather pipe, 2 cross head screws and 4 clips - just to get to the air filter.

A tip, is to certainly remove the whole box and do this out of the engine bay.  After removing the pipe clips you might as well remove the breather pipe also and take the whole thing out.  It can be tricky to fit the new element in nice and square too - I guess this depends how OCD you are and whether you might the edges of the filter being kinked etc :) 

The car had two Skoda main dealer services and both times the filter was left, the car is now 21k. Check how black/dirty it was. It was certainly worth the hassle of replacing it.

MPG is certainly up.

What is the recommended interval for this?

Part number for Mann Filter C27 009.

Good price from Euro Car Parts at the moment.

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

box1.jpg

filter removed.JPG

screws and clips under air box.jpg

• Like 1

According to last weeks thread on the same topic, 60000 miles.:)

I agree that is far too long and every two years is more like it for normal mileage. My ,expensive,  BMW bike air filter seems to like ingesting lots of flies and is very black even after 6000 miles.

• Like 1

The Manufacturers Schedule / Guidelines might be 60,000 miles to suit 'Fleet / lease'  VW Group.

But Skoda / VW / SEAT / Audi dealerships are charging 'Fixed offer' prices on a Major Service, taking labour, parts & VAT at a fixed price regardless of if parts are supplied and fitted.

How can the VAT be the same if a Air Filter, Pollen Filter, Spark Plugs are not be changed or even checked.

Variable / Flexible service at 2 years or 4 years and no Air Filter changed yet £279 charged, sounds like fraud really,  does the HMRC get VAT on parts not fitted but the customer pays VAT.

http://skoda.co.uk/finance-and-offers/service-and-maintenance/simply-fixed     Simply needs investigated,  Fixed Prices, customers ripped off not some 'Special Prices' if work not done and parts not fitted IMO.

• Like 1

Plantman - what a great detailed guide + advice.

As we all know, servicing is a grey area throughout the VWgroup empire. Offski is 100% correct, a major service includes an air filter change so if it wasn't changed then I'd be back to the garage asking questions.

But with that in mind, VWgroup also offer another 2 services plan (£279 ?) when the car is new (or up to 1yr old)  - the oil service and the oil + inspection service. So did the garage carry out an oil +inpection service rather than a major service? That'd explain why the air filter wasn't changed.

As I say, servicing is a grey area which dealers themselves can't seem to agree on so what chance have we?

Edited by Guest

Thanks Scot5.

Yes I think you are correct. I did quiz Sparshatts of Botley (say no more!) and this was their response:

The major service includes the air filter and spark plugs – your spark plugs are due only when the car is 4 years old or at 40000 miles, and the air filter is due once the car is 60000 miles or 6 years.

For this reason most of our customers with these intervals don’t have a major service until 4 years/40000 miles.

Looks like for mine they have done the following:

• Oil change Service at 10,000 Miles
  • Inspection with oil change at 14,741 miles
  • Oil change service with brake fluid change at 19,000

So I would't be getting a new air filter for several more services yet!   The filter that was in there was an original Mann filter and dated November 2014 when the car was made. I would say that it was well past it's usable lifetime. 

No scientific but on the exact same journey today after the filter change I am at least 2-3 mpg up.  

I've gone for the same brand, I do like Mann + Hummel filters. 

Cost me £12.96 from Euro Car Parts. Amazon was quoting £19 as were other places unless you went for a cheaper brand.

Once you have done the filter a once it isn't too bad to do. You need the large jaw pliers for the hose clamps, which is the hardest part, and then a cross head driver for the two screws keeping the filter sealed closed and then a flat head to popping the clips open.

Today's engines measure air flow, mixture is controlled by the lambda sensor and lots of other things too. Those air filters aren't particularly dirty (unless suffering from a touch of OCD) and I'm pretty certain mpg is not affected by the state of the air filter. Just maybe a drop off of peak power and torque.

Lots of placebo effect and Choice supportive bias at work here.

First time working on a car is a learning period. It may look complicated but next time I'm sure it takes you no time at all.

I changed the air filter on one of our Fabias at 85,000 miles/4 years recently, it didn't look much worse than those above and certainly there were no mpg or power differences.

• Like 2

As likely to be Spark Plugs with 60,000 or even 40,000 miles on them, called long life but can have short lives that reduce performance / efficiency / MPG and Skoda Main Dealers are not that hot on changing those.

Some are actually bad / too big a gap by 30,000 miles or less.

Edited by Offski

53 minutes ago, Offski said:

The Manufacturers Schedule / Guidelines might be 60,000 miles to suit 'Fleet / lease'  VW Group.

But Skoda / VW / SEAT / Audi dealerships are charging 'Fixed offer' prices on a Major Service, taking labour, parts & VAT at a fixed price regardless of if parts are supplied and fitted.

How can the VAT be the same if a Air Filter, Pollen Filter, Spark Plugs are not be changed or even checked.

Variable / Flexible service at 2 years or 4 years and no Air Filter changed yet £279 charged, sounds like fraud really,  does the HMRC get VAT on parts not fitted but the customer pays VAT.

http://skoda.co.uk/finance-and-offers/service-and-maintenance/simply-fixed     Simply needs investigated,  Fixed Prices, customers ripped off not some 'Special Prices' if work not done and parts not fitted IMO.

Interesting, don't see the air filter listed on that site.  

As you say, bound to be making money there I would say! 

Looks like Skoda dealer charges £31.82 for the filter too. Presume this is to supply and install...

Check the price of the timing belt for this engine too!!

service items.JPG

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, xman said:

Today's engines measure air flow, mixture is controlled by the lambda sensor and lots of other things too. Those air filters aren't particularly dirty (unless suffering from a touch of OCD) and I'm pretty certain mpg is not affected by the state of the air filter. Just maybe a drop off of peak power and torque.

Lots of placebo effect and Choice supportive bias at work here.

First time working on a car is a learning period. It may look complicated but next time I'm sure it takes you no time at all.

I changed the air filter on one of our Fabias at 85,000 miles/4 years recently, it didn't look much worse than those above and certainly there were no mpg or power differences.

I've got the pollen filter to replace next...that will be another lovely learning experience because I read the glove box damper is a swine to install back on again.

Prices are all over the shop. This was from the web page you linked to Offski - I know which one I would like to pay ;)

The first set of prices were from Sparshatts when I asked them about various costs.  Hopefully they were just out of date....or making a nice bit of money on the side!

web page prices.JPG

• Like 1

Fitted for Life Fuel Filters,  They used to say 'No need to replace' Yet you can buy them.

Then Good VW Trained Technicians / Dealerships actually started changing with some engines at 40,000 miles / 2nd major service.

Reason being.  Vorsprung Durch Technik.   ie Live and learn.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Plantman said:

I've got the pollen filter to replace next...that will be another lovely learning experience because I read the glove box damper is a swine to install back on again.

When you've done it once and get your head around it's setup, it takes about 5 mins in future. Just need a long screwdriver to unclip and reclip the damper arm.

• Like 1

PS

Check an AUDI Service page.

Skoda / VW / SEAT and a DSG Service / Oil Changes @ 40,000 miles.

Audi  S-Tronic Service / Fluid Changes @ 38,000 miles.

Then Haldex Services, they are clueless & many Main Dealer Service Desks, Workshops and Skoda UK Customer Services, Arse & Elbow.

Edited by Offski

21 hours ago, Plantman said:

Check the price of the timing belt for this engine too!!

service items.JPG

The timing belt for the 1.4 tsi is a story in itself. The actual skoda service schedule was posted by someone in another thread and it says : Inspect at 240000km (150kmiles) then every 30000km. There is no mention of 5 years. Everything you can read about these engines say the timing belts are Kevlar reinforced and effectively maintenance free until 240k km which most cars will never get to.

Skoda Uk say every 5 years, which I think is just backside covering.

I can believe it is £608.66 to replace as, having read the workshop manual, it looks like an absolute barsteward of a job to do - which is because it is classed as a major disassembly of part of the engine, not a maintenance item. The only maintenance designed for it is to remove the top plastic cover and visually check it after 240000km...

Edited by classic
  • Like 1

Interesting, cheers Classic. I am not sure what to do when my car reaches 5 years.  The picture from my post above showing that crazy price was actually sent from the Skoda dealer here, so guessing that is something they reference when you ask them for pricing on various jobs.

I've seen a few threads on the timing belts for the 1.4 and the fiasco about times/schedules/mileages etc.  As you say, Skoda are covering themselves.

I must get around to asking on the VW, SEAT and the Audi forums to see what they have been told about the timing belt replacements their 1.4 TSI engines.

I don’t think any 1.4 tsi Octavia’s with the CHPA engine will be 5 years old yet, and if there are any really high mileage ones they won’t have reached 160000 miles. I predict a number of timing belt threads in the next year as dealers say they need doing and then realise they can’t do it for £389. 

I noticed your dealer quotes £863.24 for the timing belt and water pump ! The water pump is driven by a separate toothed belt off the back of one of the camshafts - again with a 240k km inspection.

Given those prices at least it looks like your dealer knows what is involved.

Good job with the air filter. The actual basic servicing is relatively easy on these engines. That glovebox damper is awkward but easier than the air filter !

• Like 1

Dealers can quote whatever they want via the phone or on their website for a cambelt and waterpump.

You only need one sucker to stump up almost £900 and that compensates against those getting the work done for Skoda UK's fixed pricing policy of £489...

Capture.thumb.JPG.f9382884c970c6d07e6f207651b69fde.JPG

http://www.skoda.co.uk/finance-and-offers/service-and-maintenance/simply-fixed

My local Skoda dealer priced matched an independent, albeit on a diesel Superb, but they're still making money doing a belt and pump for £340...

Edited by silver1011
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Plantman said:

II must get around to asking on the VW, SEAT and the Audi forums to see what they have been told about the timing belt replacements their 1.4 TSI engines.

You'll get exactly the same answers!

What really interests me tho is the pricing. We all know it's the same engine using the exact same parts, same servicing regime, same time to do jobs yet the fixed pricing is all over the place.

For a maintenance job which doesn't care less what badge is on the bonnet  i.e. belt change and waterpump:

SKODA - £489 all models

SEAT - £460 petrol £529 diesel

VW - £499 all models up to and inc 2.0

AUDI - £649 !!!

There's no consistancy between SEAT, SKODA and VW - depending on what service is being carried out sometimes SKODA is more expensive, sometimes it SEAT sometime VW is the cheapest  (VW the only one to advertise price matching)  But AUDI customers are consistantly being screwed silly.

Edited by Guest

11 minutes ago, Scot5 said:

But AUDI customers are consistantly being screwed silly.

That's why VAG have the different brands.

Audi's are generally more expensive to buy so it stands to reason that servicing costs are higher too.

Remember it's not all about the parts and labour. Audi showrooms are generally bigger, more plush and more expensive to operate.

This is why we buy Skoda's, the cars and components are largely shared, but to buy and run one can be significantly cheaper.

The biggest opportunity for making savings is coming on here and doing your research. I dread to think how many owners are paying for a major service before their cars are 3 years old / 60,000 miles at £279 when all they're getting is a minor (oil) service which should cost £159.

Edited by silver1011
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, tunedude said:

They don't change the fuel filter?!?! Is that just what they do with petrol cars or is that the same for diesels as well?

Correct, see here...

http://www.skoda.co.uk/finance-and-offers/service-and-maintenance/simply-fixed

Capture.thumb.JPG.f8350dfd5a345f5d1dd2f6db24e607d5.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, silver1011 said:

The biggest opportunity for making savings is coming on here and doing your research. I dread to think how many owners are paying for a major service before their cars are 3 years old / 60,000 miles at £279 when all they're getting is a minor (oil) service which should cost £159.

And that £159 for the minor service is a lot when you can buy 5 litres of Mobil 1 (or equivalent), a genuine oil filter and sump plug for less than £50.

20 minutes ago, classic said:

And that £159 for the minor service is a lot when you can buy 5 litres of Mobil 1 (or equivalent), a genuine oil filter and sump plug for less than £50.

It's only 'a lot' when the mechanic does it for free, doesn't require any tools and carries out the oil change in the open air. And then pours the old oil down the drain :D

But I agree. I do object to paying someone to wash and vac my car, check windscreen washer levels etc.  I'd be much happier if they'd just offer me that oil change.  

Edited by Guest