List the Extras / Accessories / Maintenance Products You Have Bought for your Karoq

ethereum

Had my Karoq about 3 weeks now. 1.5 DSG SE L in Quartz Grey. Not a petrol head or someone with a proud history of cars owned so this is easily the best car I've had. Comfort, ride height and quality are all top notch.

Interested to see what stuff people have purchased as extras for their car / to use with it either official Skoda products or other bits and pieces? I've bought a few things so far:

General Stuff

• Mud Flaps - fitted them as per the thread here , but didn't bother drilling holes. They look good and do a job. Bought from the Czech Republic
  • Mega Mount - fits the air vents perfectly and great for docking your phone when using Android Auto etc. Magnet just slips behind the case I have and the phone sits very sturdily.
  • 30cm charging cable for my One Plus 3T - the standard charging cable is too long so you get too much slack floating around the centre console. This size is perfect for putting the phone on the air vent to the left of the steering wheel for a tidy setup. £2 on eBay.
  • Data Only SIM - the 3T is dual sim so I picked up a data only sim for using Waze etc. when driving. I didn't want to enter a contract so found a 12GB data only SIM on this site from Three that lasts for 12 months and was £40. Should be more than enough and I'll be using it when not in the car as well. Had the phone not been dual sim I'd have probably picked up a low-end smartphone to keep in the car.
  • French Driving Kit - basic one from eBay. Later saw Aldi are doing one as part of their AutoXS range and I think it looks neater / better quality. 
  • Analog Mini Compressor from Aldi - just to keep in the car as they're always useful to have
  • Some microfibre cloths - keep one in the dash storage box above the Amundsen Screen just to keep the shiny plastic fingerprint free
  • 64GB SD Card for the secondary SD card slot - use this to keep some music on and also used it to add the speed camera POI's as mentioned in this thread .

Cleaning Stuff

Hoping to keep the car in pretty good nick so I've bought a few cleaning items after watching quite a few detailing videos on YouTube, carcleaningguru  seems to know his stuff. I think you can probably go overkill on this stuff buying a ton of unnecessary products but I've bought the below all from either Amazon or eBay:

• Autobrite Magifoam - creates a snow foam for a pre-wash. Used it once so far but need a new pressure washer with a better lance so foaming results were average.
  • A couple of wash mitts - supposedly better than sponges to avoid swirl marks and scratches from dirty embedded in the sponge. I've started using this 2 bucket wash method they all swear by :biggrin:
  • Gyeon Q2 Rim - saw that recommended here so will be having a go with it. But I used some Poorboys that my friend had for a first clean and that seems to be doing a good job. Quite hard to get into the actual inside of the wheel. Taking them off would obviously be far better but not sure I fancy it. Anyone ever removed the wheels for a clean?
  • Microfibre towels for drying the car - again the detailing world says avoid chamois leathers
  • Some Autofinesse tyre dressing - leaves a nice finish.
  • Autofinesse detailing spray for use when drying the car or if you wanted to add some lubricant for a clay bar etc.
  • Some detailing brushes for the wheels and badges and other awkward to clean spots

Any questions on the above feel free to ask. And what sort of stuff has everyone else purchased for their Karoq?

Edited by ethereum
  • Like 2

I've had mine since the end of February and there is always a bag of chocolate eclair toffees for the glove box and a bag of assorted mints for under the armrest. The dangly cardboard frog air freshener came free from the car wash blokes.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, P6bJOHN said:

....always a bag of chocolate eclair toffees for the glove box and a bag of assorted mints for under the armrest.... 

I'm a Werthers man. Well, I am a Grandad ;)

Anyhoo, mudflaps, textile mats (replaced by all weathers in back when we have said grandkids on board), rear tunnel mat, rear under seat vent covers, double sided OEM mat for the boot, right hand USB adaptor and short cable to run Android Auto. 

Door scuff plates, all-weather mats, tunnel mat - all to protect the car from a 2 year old (and us...)

Double-sided boot mat as we've got a lot of DIY to do. I've never been able to properly clean boot carpets.

Looking for a scuff plate for the boot opening now. 

A Brodit phone mount - they do bespoke mounts to match your vehicle, you then add a device holder to suit your phone/tablet. 

Example in the top pic is from a Kodiaq, but they're positioned the same in the Karoq. 

655293.jpg

655391.jpg

• Like 1

For me so far.....

textile mats - front & back

Boot tray

rubber tunnel mat

Hatchbag - boot liner including backseat top cover - the dog Drools when traveling (a lot)

a 12gb data Only sim from 3 - 40gbp for 12mths

I like Brodit. The Megamount too.  But for day to day use I leave it in my pocket and use BT. Anything more is Android Auto so it's connected via USB and sits in the drawer.

Waiting for an OEM rear bumper protector and more choice in the door cill strips.

I use the wireless charger for day-to-day, but if I'm needing to use AA I use the Brodit mount and a cable as the signal isn't great down in the bottom of the console (if only I'd bagged one before the boosters got disabled!) 

Just collected my 1.5TSi SE L today and the highlight today are those insanely cool LED "Skoda" lights projected from the door to the ground lol......the LED light pack is just amazing, the wife was so happy she  could have purple ambient lighting :biggrin:

For those who have not got their car yet honestly its well worth the wait !!

1 hour ago, LBFS said:

I use the wireless charger for day-to-day, but if I'm needing to use AA I use the Brodit mount and a cable as the signal isn't great down in the bottom of the console (if only I'd bagged one before the boosters got disabled!) 

Really? Never had the chance of the booster on an SE, but my Pixel 2 XL runs AA fine down there, even with the drawer closed.

It's often made me wonder what the point of the booster was anyway.

Sometimes it's OK, but I've found that if I'm streaming from Spotify and running Waze at the same time it needs a decent signal to satisfy the data transfer demands. I also don't like how hot the phone gets when it's wirelessly charging and Android Auto is running at the same time. 

The charging mat is great for short journeys though, just thrown the phone in and go. 

7 minutes ago, LBFS said:

Sometimes it's OK, but I've found that if I'm streaming from Spotify and running Waze at the same time it needs a decent signal to satisfy the data transfer demands. I also don't like how hot the phone gets when it's wirelessly charging and Android Auto is running at the same time. 

The charging mat is great for short journeys though, just thrown the phone in and go. 

AFAIK wireless running of AA has not been released in the UK yet? When it is, my phone would support it but the car won't. Meanwhile, to run AA we all have to plug it in and that delivers charge too. So not sure what advantages using the car charging mat at the same time delivers?

I take the point about data demands running Spotify and Waze simultaneously. I'll have to try it. Most of our driving is the Leeds Bradford conurbation where 4G is pretty solid.

I'll try it drawer closed and report back :thumbup:

I don't believe wireless AA has been released yet. When the phones plugged in for AA it runs quite warm, couple with the wireless charging which runs even when AA is active, if the phones on the charging mat.

We're probably roaming the same streets by the sound of it! 

1 hour ago, LBFS said:

I don't believe wireless AA has been released yet. When the phones plugged in for AA it runs quite warm, couple with the wireless charging which runs even when AA is active, if the phones on the charging mat.

We're probably roaming the same streets by the sound of it! 

Ah, so you'd have to run the charging mat even if charging by wire? That's odd. You'd think it'd be clever enough to turn it off if it detects a wired charge cycle.

Where you at in WY?

Edited by Michael G

BTW, wireless AA has been released, but not in the UK yet, and only on Google's own phones and compatible head units.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/android-auto-wireless-receiver/

I have got a Pixel phone, but I don't have wireless charging and the car unit wouldn't support it so a wired connection is fine for me.

Edited by Michael G

5 hours ago, Michael G said:

Ah, so you'd have to run the charging mat even if charging by wire? That's odd. You'd think it'd be clever enough to turn it off if it detects a wired charge cycle.

Where you at in WY?

Yep, even when connected the wireless charging works. Things get hot!

West Leeds! 

19 minutes ago, LBFS said:

Yep, even when connected the wireless charging works. Things get hot!

West Leeds! 

West Leeds, cool. Pass there on the Ring Road once a week to pick up Trouble and Double Trouble from school at Shadwell. Grew up in Roundhay. 

The only extra we paid for on our manual 1.5Tsi was Moon White metallic and looks lovely with the sun glistening on it.As we were the first to collect a Karoq in Leicestershire back on 26th January 2018, the dealer gave us a pair of Karoq sunglasses (very good thet are), a towel and some Karoq mints in a special tin.:blink:

The only thing I've added to our Karoq since it's arrival are the rear air vent trims.

However, we are expecting a new dog towards the back end of this year so will be spending on dog guard and decent boot line along with a dog ramp as we're getting a large dog.

Cleaning wise no car goes short in our household....

20180712_204036.jpg

• Thanks 1

On 07/07/2018 at 09:14, Michael G said:

I take the point about data demands running Spotify and Waze simultaneously. I'll have to try it. Most of our driving is the Leeds Bradford conurbation where 4G is pretty solid.

I'll try it drawer closed and report back :thumbup:

LBFS

I finally remembered to try running Waze and Spotify simultaneously.

Not the best of pics but Waze is running in the background, just with no current notifications.

I did notice that compared to normal, drawer closed it did drop down from 4G now and again although it didn't t seem to affect the Spotify stream. You can maybe see it's on H there - 1/2/3G?

I could well see that in order for dual streams to be unaffected with the drawer shut some sort of booster would have been useful :thumbup:

20180711_121102.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/07/2018 at 16:17, Michael G said:

LBFS

I finally remembered to try running Waze and Spotify simultaneously.

Not the best of pics but Waze is running in the background, just with no current notifications.

I did notice that compared to normal, drawer closed it did drop down from 4G now and again although it didn't t seem to affect the Spotify stream. You can maybe see it's on H there - 1/2/3G?

I could well see that in order for dual streams to be unaffected with the drawer shut some sort of booster would have been useful :thumbup:

20180711_121102.jpg

Erm nice picture :o lol