Installing Speed Cameras on The Amundsen MIB2 - Free Database and Quite Simple to Do!

1 hour ago, jagdad said:

Thanks bigade1

Just one question, I've realised that the audible alarm is dependent on Nav volume but haven't proved yet whether you need to be on Nav screen for it to work?

It sure does jagdad. The audible alert activates whether the map is displayed or not. Furthermore, when listening to media the volume of the media drops so that you can hear the alert tone. Not too sure if the volume drops on the radio as well but I know the alert does activate when listening to it.

Thanks, I used your version because I much preferred your icons and I'm not likely to do any european excursions for a while. Hopefully you'll update it every now and again on this forum.

Well done again for sharing.

6 hours ago, Edz_VRS said:

Thanks for this, seems to have worked fine on the import and symbols but need to go near some cameras now to see how they show up!

Just zoom out using your fingers on the touch screen and if there's any cameras near your location then they should show up on the map if you have enabled them in the POI category settings.

2 hours ago, maul said:

thats great to see. but does anybody know if it can work on mib1? columbus specifically?

Unfortunately, I've got no experience with that specific device myself so I'm not in a position to say. Hopefully someone else will be able to answer you. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, bigade1 said:

Just zoom out using your fingers on the touch screen and if there's any cameras near your location then they should show up on the map if you have enabled them in the POI category settings.

Thanks I did try that but don't know how far zoomed out they still show, if that makes sense (not many that close to me but I know where one is so will go for a look over the weekend)

1 hour ago, jasonb said:

Thanks, straight forward instructions and worked a treat.

Out of interest how do you compile your own? It would be great if I could compile my own in future.

Glad you found it helpful. Basically, the easiest way is to search the internet and download a pre-compiled camera database either by subscribing to a paid for service or using a free site such as the one linked to in my first post. The databases come in different file formats for different makes of equipment. The easiest one to use is the Garmin one which usually comes in the .csv format which can be opened in excel or notepad. If the database is not in the .csv format then a quick "poi convert" internet search will provide you with a way of converting them to .csv. Since you are limited to the number of poi categories you can add to your infotainment, its easier but not essential to copy and paste all the different camera speeds into one file and rename it e.g fixed cameras. If you then search for "poi editor" you can upload your file and by clicking each individual entry you can see its location on a map, rename it, delete it or even add your own. With over 4000 entries this can be a really slow and laborious task. Once you have saved the file you then need to search the internet to find and download an icon of your choice to go with it. Then using this site from Skoda: http://mydestination.skoda-auto.com/POIs or this site from VW: http://www.volkswagen-nav-companion.de/mib/ppoi/ppoi.jsf ( you will need to use Google translate for the VW site ) you can upload your file along with your icon of choice and get them converted into the necessary required file format. Once you have downloaded the converted files extract them and copy the exact files as explained in my first post onto your sd card and then update your unit following the same instructions in my first post. That's the easiest way I can explain the method and I hope it's helpful to you.

1 hour ago, SunsetZed said:

Thanks from me too bigade1

No worries - glad you appreciate it.

16 minutes ago, Robbijay said:

thanks for this, Do i have to put it on the MAP SD card? or will it import froma  different one? Don't want to have both slots taken up

You should be able to use any SD card and also use any SD slot. The files are uploaded and stored on the actual unit so you can remove the card and delete the files once they have been uploaded.

I think i've done this, but i did it under my wifes profile and not mine. I'm guessing thats not user specific?

Also the icons all look a little random. @bigade1 Are your icons any better? If so I'll use yours instead!

47 minutes ago, Robbijay said:

I think i've done this, but i did it under my wifes profile and not mine. I'm guessing thats not user specific?

Also the icons all look a little random. @bigade1 Are your icons any better? If so I'll use yours instead!

No it's not user specific. My version is a basic UK only one which I've consolidated into two specific camera types i.e. fixed gatsos and traffic light cameras. I've used the following icons:

pocketgps_uk_gatso.bmp

pocketgps_uk_redlight.bmp

(Credit to GerryC,  the original author of the icons.)

Edited by bigade1
Credit to author of icons

Thanks also to bigade1. Works like a dream - used your prepared file - icons look great on screen.

P.S. Agree that the audible warning could be better, but then again find it more odd that VW don't provide them at outset and update them along with the maps like others do , even for a fee if need be. Most people need them unless they drive like my gran  :^]

• Thanks 2

Thanks - uploaded to my new VRS.  Works great!

Is there anyway to change the audible notification?  Is there a file that can be replaced, or the volume increased somehow?  I've looked through all the files you have provided and can't find a .WAV or .MP3 or similar.  Could it already be embedded within the rest of the satnav files on the main SD card?  Just a thought......anyone got any ideas?

1 hour ago, LanceyBoy said:

Thanks - uploaded to my new VRS.  Works great!

Is there anyway to change the audible notification?  Is there a file that can be replaced, or the volume increased somehow?  I've looked through all the files you have provided and can't find a .WAV or .MP3 or similar.  Could it already be embedded within the rest of the satnav files on the main SD card?  Just a thought......anyone got any ideas?

Unfortunately, it looks like its located in the software on the unit itself so there's no way of changing it. I've checked the map sd card and can't find anything located in there. It's a pity that the unit does not give you the option to change alerts, voices or car icons or for that matter even allow you to upload your own.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, POWYSWALES said:

Thanks bigade1 works great, is there a way to make the audible alert louder without making all nav directions volume etc increasing? 

Glad you're sorted. Unfortunately, as far as I can see, there is no way to make them louder.

• Like 1