My Superb has swallowed my wife's blue card

My wife is disabled and we have a Blue Card parking permit to place on the dashboard. But she inadvertently placed it on top of the flap that covers the ashtray/cigarette lighter compartment of our new Superb, and then pushed the flap back, effectively 'posting'the precious card into the car's innards, somewhere underneath the radio. My local dealer says it would be a very big and expensive job to remove the whole assembly to retrieve the card. 

I will find it very difficult to get a replacement card because it was issued in France, before we moved back to live in England a month ago, so we are no longer part of the French system.  Can anyone suggest a solution, please?  

I've never had the dash apart on a mk III superb but if its anything like every other car I've worked on, its not that big of a job to get the radio out and have a look underneath it. Or even take some of the controls out or the ashtray assembly.

Buy some tools, do some googling and you can get it out for free

There's a chance it may turn up somewhere near the footwell. I lost my debit card exactly the same way, three weeks later, I saw it just poking out of the centre console bottom in the passenger footwell! 

As you have moved back to the UK why doesn't she apply for a UK one rather than cheating the system, and the rest of the law abiding population :-)

8 hours ago, Goblin said:

There's a chance it may turn up somewhere near the footwell. I lost my debit card exactly the same way, three weeks later, I saw it just poking out of the centre console bottom in the passenger footwell! 

Thats one way to stop the wife spending.     :nod:

11 hours ago, swissbarry said:

My wife is disabled and we have a Blue Card parking permit to place on the dashboard. But she inadvertently placed it on top of the flap that covers the ashtray/cigarette lighter compartment of our new Superb, and then pushed the flap back, effectively 'posting'the precious card into the car's innards, somewhere underneath the radio. My local dealer says it would be a very big and expensive job to remove the whole assembly to retrieve the card. 

I will find it very difficult to get a replacement card because it was issued in France, before we moved back to live in England a month ago, so we are no longer part of the French system.  Can anyone suggest a solution, please?  

Not sure how much access this will give you but might be worth a try,

Screen Shot 2018-07-10 at 10.47.21.png

What an awful response, to accuse me of cheating the system.  My wife's card was issued by the proper authorities in France, and is valid throughout Europe. It remains valid for life, but since we are now UK resident the French will not be able to issue a replacement. I have never cheated the system, nor have I ever been rudely and unjustly accused of doing so.

Thank you to all the people who posted polite and helpful replies.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
1 minute ago, DarkSun said:

Hello,

having the same issues, problem is it vibrates at 1800 RPM and drives me crazy. Anyone has an idea how to remove the phone box, it's just behind it.

Thanks!

First try to remove the lower side panels of the center console as I posted in my previous post. That way you can get behind the phone box.

Removing phone box is a big job. 

1 minute ago, DarkSun said:

hey @alf.onso, thanks for the tip, any DYI how to remove the panel ?

If I remember correctly, then you needed to pull the front part to your direction and push down (to the direction of floor), the rear part. First you have to remove the plastic screw cover and unscrew one torx. It is located in the front middle of the panel. 

• 4 years later...