Replacing K&N air filter on new Octavia

Hi Guys,

Not sure if this subject has been discussed or not but can't find. 

I have changed the air filter to K&N one and just booked for the next service and the dealer told me that it would invalidate the warranty. Is this right? or they just want me to keep buying air filter from them?

#Thanks for the answers

Modification to intake system ,so yes, warranty void. These filters are known to cause turbo damage. They allow more air through, but also larger dirt particles which eat away at the turbo impeller. 

Your car info suggests it's a Fabia Vrs, this is the Octavia section, but the information applies anyway.

8 minutes ago, MoggyTech said:

Modification to intake system ,so yes, warranty void. These filters are known to cause turbo damage. They allow more air through, but also larger dirt particles which eat away at the turbo impeller. 

Your car info suggests it's a Fabia Vrs, this is the Octavia section, but the information applies anyway.

Thanks for your answer. I'm really surprised.never had an issue with this filter on my Fabia which is a senior citizen now :) and haven't updated my profile but also have an Mk3 1.6 tdi (mentioned in topic title re Octavia though sorry anyways)

I've run a K&N filter in my petrol VRS almost since they day I bought it (April 2015), 24K and no issues whatsoever.
When it went in for servicing I told the dealer it was fitted and they were fine about it.
The car has run out of warranty now so it's time for a remap.

3 hours ago, wiilydog said:

Aren't stock air filters suppose to be good for 60k?  so unlikely to be changed anyway unless you are going in for it 60k service.

Just changed mine myself at 30k (mind you, km - not miles...) and it was pretty dirty.

For the price and effort to change it is pretty much a no brainer to do regularly ;)

Every vehicle I've ever owned has had a K&N filter. Be it an air or a fuel filter. Never had any trouble with any of them.

2 of my cars (including my VRS) have had the standard replacement elements and my last car (hyundai i20), I managed to get a universal cone filter onto the throttle body. That provided a nice induction roar. When that went into the garage for a service, they never said anything over it.

Can't see why'd they have a problem as if you just get the replacement element, it's just a like for like swap. I'd appreciate they're argument if you'd plonked a new induction kit onto it.

Issue can be they get dirty the same as a OEM one would and then these 'Performance Filters' need cleaned, so that means cleaning drying and retreating properly so that there is no MAF issues or the likes.   Pointless fitting something 3 times the cost then binning them as some do like Police Mechanics and the likes. (tax payers money.)

So K&N have there place, maybe where Dust, Water and environmental issues would make Paper Filters a liability.

As far as Performance Improvements of a Panel Filter with a TDI or TSI that might come down to sounding different, using more fuel and little else.

On ‎19‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 17:57, butchvrs said:

I've run a K&N filter in my petrol VRS almost since they day I bought it (April 2015), 24K and no issues whatsoever.
When it went in for servicing I told the dealer it was fitted and they were fine about it.
The car has run out of warranty now so it's time for a remap.

DO IT AND YOU WON'T BE DISAPPOINTED, TRUST ME (300 CLUB MEMBER).:notme:

7 hours ago, Offski said:

Issue can be they get dirty the same as a OEM one would and then these 'Performance Filters' need cleaned, so that means cleaning drying and retreating properly so that there is no MAF issues or the likes.   Pointless fitting something 3 times the cost then binning them as some do like Police Mechanics and the likes. (tax payers money.)

So K&N have there place, maybe where Dust, Water and environmental issues would make Paper Filters a liability.

As far as Performance Improvements of a Panel Filter with a TDI or TSI that might come down to sounding different, using more fuel and little else.

My VRS245 produces plenty of power and torque with the standard airbox/filter combo. Why waste money when better fuel will give a bigger increase in both than just changing to a performance air filter. Had plenty of modified cars with K & N and Pipercross air filters!:giggle:

On 22/07/2018 at 19:09, shyVRS245 said:

DO IT AND YOU WON'T BE DISAPPOINTED, TRUST ME (300 CLUB MEMBER).:notme:

Every post you make, makes reference of 300 plus club. Are you 17?

You sad man 

its embarrassing 

Edited by Tim1631

5 hours ago, Tim1631 said:

Every post you make, makes reference of 300 plus club. Are you 17?

You sad man 

its embarrassing 

Hi Tim have you fitted all those Revo parts to your car that you stated a while ago or was that just a lot of hot air which seems to come out of your mouth on a regular basis! Nelson Mandela said "Love conquers all" so try being positive rather than negative all the time, it's bad for your health!:kiss: