Squeaking Brakes

Hi All!

I recently purchased a Fabia and I've been having squeaking coming from what sounds like my rear left brake, it only happens when I'm not touching the brake. Any ideas what it could be? I've had both rear disks and pads replaced and F1 Auto said the caliper doesn't seem to be sticking. It doesn't happen all the time, but it's becoming more and more.

On 29/07/2018 at 19:15, sepulchrave said:

The handbrake linkage can stick, many people fit stronger springs to the mechanism to alleviate the problem, make sure yours are releasing fully.

Thanks! Is this something that would be easy for me to do? Or is it best to go to a garage? I’m trying to get more hands on with my car!

3 hours ago, OllieTDI said:

Thanks! Is this something that would be easy for me to do? Or is it best to go to a garage? I’m trying to get more hands on with my car!

It's easy to check, just jack the car up and take the wheel off then look at the back of the caliper where the handbrake cable attaches to the linkage arm, release the handbrake with the front wheels chocked, if you can move the linkage arm further by hand then you need to fit some return springs.

On 03/08/2018 at 10:14, sepulchrave said:

It's easy to check, just jack the car up and take the wheel off then look at the back of the caliper where the handbrake cable attaches to the linkage arm, release the handbrake with the front wheels chocked, if you can move the linkage arm further by hand then you need to fit some return springs.

Great! I’ll have to get the car up when I have some free time! Thanks for the help :thumbup:

23 hours ago, LB123 said:

Always nice to see a cheap fix! Thanks for the help:)

Ollie- perhaps some help needed from Techie ( or Tech1e) blokies. If rear DRUM brakes, then the pistons can move out when shoes removed. But , with rear drums, there is a known problem with the lower hinge rivet on shoes, which causes shoes to bind. I had this on mine. Solved by removing shoes ,applying WD40 to hinge, working shoe free and refitting. BUT doing this comes with risk of pistons expanding an air in line.

1 hour ago, VWD said:

Ollie- perhaps some help needed from Techie ( or Tech1e) blokies. If rear DRUM brakes, then the pistons can move out when shoes removed. But , with rear drums, there is a known problem with the lower hinge rivet on shoes, which causes shoes to bind. I had this on mine. Solved by removing shoes ,applying WD40 to hinge, working shoe free and refitting. BUT doing this comes with risk of pistons expanding an air in line.

Dude, top of the thread, first post, he's just had new rear DISCS and PADS fitted and he says the CALIPERS aren't sticking?

sep- recalibrating eyeball - all I saw was TDI, so assumed wrongly it was 1.4, which have drums on rear ,and hinge pin is common fault.

They arrived this morning and took 10 mins to fit. (Grip the lower straight loop end with mole wrench, insert top bent loop and just twist lower end into place.)

Brakeassistsprings.JPG

Edited by LB123
  • Like 1

On 06/08/2018 at 19:49, LB123 said:

They arrived this morning and took 10 mins to fit. (Grip the lower straight loop end with mole wrench, insert top bent loop and just twist lower end into place.)

Brakeassistsprings.JPG

Mine look different to these,not absolutely sure but I reckon they need changing side to side,the offset on the spring should match the offset on the two levers I think.

Maccy.

I'm sure they're correctly installed. The shape of the hooked ends match their current holes. The through arm parts of the springs sit nicely and naturally in the correct part of the roughly L shaped slots in the arms. There is no tendency for them to come out of place. They sit 'out of the way'. They just look right. That's how they're staying!

Well the “cranked” section is needed to clear that fixing, after that being taken into consideration, there is not much scope for fitting them wrongly or to the wrong side, maybe I was lucky first time round and bought a pair individually bagged and tagged, okay for another version of car, but using logic I got them fitted that in time seemed to agree with other’s way of doing this. With my wife’s new Polo, it was just a case of refreshing my brain by looking at saved pictures and doing the same again, only this time with the later Polo not having rear brake pad wear sensors, there was no need to move that cable out of the way!