Automatic headlight switch-on time

Nick-H

Collected my Karoq Edition TDI 150 4x4 last week and so far pretty pleased with it, but I think I may have an issue with the automatic headlight switch-on point.  When driving back from the dealers on a bright sunny day I noticed that the headlights seemed to turn on several times in mildly shaded places. Even got flashed once or twice.  Later on I looked into settings and changed the switch-on time from medium to late but in the limited driving I have done since I have noticed them turning on several times.  The auto lights on my Yeti would never have turned on under such light conditions.  Has anyone else had this problem?

I’m not sure I World Call it a problem, but yes. Park in A shadow On A Bright sunny day and the lights stay On til You get back in the Sun.  Also, the lights comeback On early in the afternoon, long before snuset.

Not according to this thread;

As per my response in the above thread, I've found them to be unreliable; switching off in conditions when I really needed, and just like you have experienced, coming on in bright sunshine and get flashed by other drivers. According to the dealers, the lights are operating as they should. 

I have now resorted to keeping them in manual and make the decision for myself. 

Just embrace the technology and let the lights do their own thing on auto, they do come on for a reason, even if you think differently. Better to been seen, than a numpty driving around with just front DRL’s on in the rain or darkness.

Edited by Kenny R
  • Like 1

My Yeti ones would come on even on very bright days in my driveway if the house shadow fell on sensor. My biggest problem with auto lighting is the sheer number of numpties in high end cars (Rangies, BMs etc_ who drive around in daytime fog/ mist with 'no' lights on oblivious to the fact that in these conditions they have to turn the lights on manually. Driver still is responsible. The Karoq has been fine but has lost the dash tell tale for the lights on which I do miss as it was often the only way to tell in daylight conditions

2 hours ago, Grumpy Geaser said:

My Yeti ones would come on even on very bright days in my driveway if the house shadow fell on sensor. My biggest problem with auto lighting is the sheer number of numpties in high end cars (Rangies, BMs etc_ who drive around in daytime fog/ mist with 'no' lights on oblivious to the fact that in these conditions they have to turn the lights on manually. Driver still is responsible. The Karoq has been fine but has lost the dash tell tale for the lights on which I do miss as it was often the only way to tell in daylight conditions

There is a tell tale light, but it is down on the switch, where it is difficult to see.

Also, someone on here tipped me off that if you look up there are two small LEDs that come on within the interior light cluster when the headlights are on. They are a quick and easy way to check I wouldn't have spotted without help

57 minutes ago, Cd1yat said:

Also, someone on here tipped me off that if you look up there are two small LEDs that come on within the interior light cluster when the headlights are on. They are a quick and easy way to check I wouldn't have spotted without help

I think that may have been me @Cd1yat

10 hours ago, Janner74 said:

My sat nav screen goes into night mode as soon as the lights come on. 

You can change that in the map display to Day/Auto/Night

On 01/08/2018 at 17:07, Cd1yat said:

Thanks @don_kiddik, will have a look next time it's dark for that, our Lexus(s) always showed on the instrument panel when headlights were switched on and like others I find the knob down the side in totally the wrong place especially as in the early days I kept knocking it with my knee when getting in and out of the vehicle and then changing the settings

Yes, I agree, they do seen to switch on and off without much hesitation. They are LED, however, and I believe this is less of a problem with the Bi-Xenons in the Yeti. Frequent switching of those could reduce their life. Maybe this is why the Yeti seemed lazier.

2 hours ago, Marchincus said:

Can you put a picture of the two interior LEDs that come on with the headlights as I can't find them and I'm curious where they are?  To be fair I haven't actually driven in the dark yet!

Here you are @Marchincus

led.jpg

Maybe irrelevant, but in my MkIII Fabia there is menu setting for auto-lights with on early and on late choices. I stick with the former and have no problem with it.