Correct wheel size

Morning everyone! I'm looking to change wheels.on my octavia vrs tdi 2014 ,im after some 19 inch , but would like to know how wide wheels I can put on it. And what centre bore must be, cos I see 5x112 with different centre bore sizes.Thanks

I’ve just put some after market 19’s on mine 

8.5J wide ET46 which is pretty much perfect

centre bore for Octavia is 57.1 but my new alloys are 60 odd I think, but reduced to 57.1 with spigot rings.

I believe some people have got 9J width but it all depends on offset. 

Stick with 8.5J and offset in mid 40’s and you’ll be fine

Have a play with different sizes on willtheyfit.com 

Edited by Damo

1 hour ago, Damo said:

I’ve just put some after market 19’s on mine 

8.5J wide ET46 which is pretty much perfect

centre bore for Octavia is 57.1 but my new alloys are 60 odd I think, but reduced to 57.1 with spigot rings.

I believe some people have got 9J width but it all depends on offset. 

Stick with 8.5J and offset in mid 40’s and you’ll be fine

Have a play with different sizes on willtheyfit.com 

We need pictures :biggrin:

• 3 weeks later...

Hello folks,

I am a skoda newbie and would like your opinion on these wheels and how it drives.

I have a normal Octavia 2014 1.2 tsi petrol which had 16 alloys very standard which I did not like the aesthetic look of but it drove fantastic, quiet and smooth over ramps etc.

I just bought 17 hawk alloys and while they look fantastic I have noticed straight away the feel of driving is slower, needs more power because of the extra weight and it is noisier and no where near as smooth going over bumps.....

In an ideal world 16 hawk alloys would have been great but I couldn't find such a thing? Why is this? Why don't they do the design of alloys in the image above but in say a size 16?

Cheers,

Philip

48 minutes ago, PVC91 said:

Hello folks,

I am a skoda newbie and would like your opinion on these wheels and how it drives.

I have a normal Octavia 2014 1.2 tsi petrol which had 16 alloys very standard which I did not like the aesthetic look of but it drove fantastic, quiet and smooth over ramps etc.

I just bought 17 hawk alloys and while they look fantastic I have noticed straight away the feel of driving is slower, needs more power because of the extra weight and it is noisier and no where near as smooth going over bumps.....

In an ideal world 16 hawk alloys would have been great but I couldn't find such a thing? Why is this? Why don't they do the design of alloys in the image above but in say a size 16?

Cheers,

Philip

Because there is little or no demand for 16" aftermarket alloys on an Octavia!

On 08/08/2018 at 09:22, AlanB1987 said:

Morning everyone! I'm looking to change wheels.on my octavia vrs tdi 2014 ,im after some 19 inch , but would like to know how wide wheels I can put on it. And what centre bore must be, cos I see 5x112 with different centre bore sizes.Thanks

Agree with DAMO just ordered ET45  8.5J x 19 alloys which will be 1" wider than my standard wheels with a 235/35 PS4 S tyre to cover them. Ideally I wanted to go to a 20" wheel without lowering my car fitted with 245/30 tyres but my local wheel supplier strongly advised against on the grounds of wheel height would be 20mm higher than standard and strong possibility of rubbing tyres on full lock when parking which could lead to a safety issue at some stage.:doh:

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Realise this is an old thread but  im not sure why you are all going up to 19 inch wheels  when they  dont add to grip and make the unsprung weight so much more which is not a good thing for handling. I can understand going wider and im trying to find out  whats the biggest width we can get in  the wheel arch  without any  problems with  the lighter 18 inch  diameter wheels?

If im going to add weight i want extra grip as a trade off. Any ideas where to ask  if you dont know?  Thanks 

I've gone with a stronger, flow formed wheel which I believe is a bit lighter too. 

Think the width and offset is bang on. 

18 x 8j et42 with 225 40 18 tyres and H&R springs, alignment as follows 

IMG_20200208_135411.jpg

IMG_20200131_111801.jpg

Edited by DC04R

4 hours ago, Roottootemblowinootsoot said:

@maul

Do you actually have to hand the weight of a 19" alloy wheel and tyre and a 18" alloy wheel and tyre and is the difference much between Ooo & Ahh for driving on a UK road with a NSL of 60MPH or a road with a 70 mph speed limit?

Play with a wheel and tyre calculator  it predicts about 3 kg  extra for a 19 over an 18 with everything else the same. obviously if you get some fancy lightweight wheels you can offset it.  Ive been told racing types wouldnt  use bigger diameter wheels for racedays because of it. I just wondered who we have around who know there stuff and is a bit clever. No point just spacing out the same size  wheels  or just changing  the ET so it sticks out more i want to get a wider tyre so it doesnt wheelspin so much. i got it chipped to 300bhp and want to try to use that power rather than  just wear out tyres  and make the skid light on the dash light up.

Has anyone got 9J 18 inch wheels to fit without it rubbing ?

Edited by maul

Just to add, if you start getting anal about wheel weights, don't forget it's not only the weight that's critical, also the distribution.

Two wheels could weigh the same but if one has the weight further towards the outside of the wheel it takes more energy to spin it as it'll have more angular momentum once at speed.

Not that I'm convinced it'll make all that difference on a road car but people do seem to claim to very highly calibrated butt dynos so if you want to be scientific....

• 2 years later...
On 09/02/2020 at 06:19, DC04R said:

I've gone with a stronger, flow formed wheel which I believe is a bit lighter too. 

Think the width and offset is bang on. 

18 x 8j et42 with 225 40 18 tyres and H&R springs, alignment as follows 

IMG_20200208_135411.jpg

IMG_20200131_111801.jpg

@DC04R the fitment looks spot on.  Is there enough room at the rear to go a little wider with the offset? Say 35 offset wheel?

1 minute ago, LAY939 said:

@DC04R the fitment looks spot on.  Is there enough room at the rear to go a little wider with the offset? Say 35 offset wheel?

On a face-lift. I now have 19 x 8.5j et45 with 235 35 19 and its as close as I'd like to get. 2 deg negative camber too and its OK. Think that's the limit really with no real messing around.