Broken windscreen

On 03/09/2018 at 08:57, The Skud said:

the ACC working perfectly and making progress very easy on the miles of M5 and M6 50mph zones.

ACC (Adaptive Cruise Control) uses the radar in the grill, not the camera in the windscreen - unless, of course, things change or things work in conjunction with each other, in that case I retract that statement.  I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong anyway.

Haven't cracked mine yet, thankfully.  It's not clean, but it's not yet cracked.  In fact the whole car needs a good wash - black shows up far too much!  

2 hours ago, adamjackdrew said:

ACC (Adaptive Cruise Control) uses the radar in the grill, not the camera in the windscreen - unless, of course, things change or things work in conjunction with each other, in that case I retract that statement.  I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong anyway.

Haven't cracked mine yet, thankfully.  It's not clean, but it's not yet cracked.  In fact the whole car needs a good wash - black shows up far too much!  

Sorry I stand corrected,  should have read ACC / Lane assist as the camera is for the lane assist function...

Some serious 'awning envy' in our house this morning! Man with van looks like he knows his stuff too so I'm hopeful all goes well. New screen should be in place within a couple of hours.

IMG_3797.JPG

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Gwynalynne said:

Some serious 'awning envy' in our house this morning! Man with van looks like he knows his stuff too so I'm hopeful all goes well. New screen should be in place within a couple of hours.

IMG_3797.JPG

Looks impressive - hope it all goes well. Do you have the camera built in to the windscreen? If so, how are you getting the calibration done?

Good question!

When I contacted the insurers they said that the car had multiple sensors and a heated element in its screen (they could tell from the VIN), however the fitter says the smashed screen isn't heated! Buttons are present on the dash which I had always assumed were for the front heated screen, so I'll see what the fitter finds once he has the old screen out. Previous owner had car for 10 months-maybe screen has already been replaced with a lesser specced on?

I don't think I have a camera in the screen. I'll speak with the fitter now; thanks for bringing it to my attention!

My windscreen was replaced by National Windscreens this morning.  They fitted an OEM heated screen and performed a camera calibration - or at least checked it and gave me the print out.

My insurer directed me to Autoglass initially and they wanted to fit a 3rd party screen - I declined.  I tried to get a repair because the damage was only just over 30mm, but glass repairers seem few and far between so I couldn't actually find anywhere I could turn up and get someone to take a look and see if they'd do it.

I called my local Skoda garage to see how much a screen would be if I had to source/pay the difference and they offered to sort the whole thing out - supply the glass, get their preferred repairer to fit the glass and perform the camera calibration, and have it paid for by my insurance.  They contacted National Windscreens on Friday, and I had the work done on Monday morning.

I am really surprised and impressed that Skoda/National Windscreens have this so well wrapped up, and to my insurer's satisfaction too.  I don't know if this is just my local dealer, but I suggest trying your local dealer if you want to avoid the issues with 3rd party screens.

This is what happens when a pidgeon hits your screen at speed! Serves me right for being in a hurry.5E5CB862-D103-4324-A514-7B7B85DC0816.thumb.jpg.ae09ac1613edc0065cc4998af9dd98e3.jpg

Screen is heated and has sensors for wipers and lights. Only 5 day turnaround by Autoglass, hopefully the fitting will be straightforward.

Knowing my luck I'll pick up a chip within the first month!

Blimey! And I complain when a pigeon takes a shy-te on my windscreen!

On ‎10‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 08:08, Glassy said:

For anyone with driver assistance technology: the cameras are self calibrating.

Calibration *might* be needed if a non-gen part is fitted, or if the car was put through an ignition whilst the device was disconnected.

http://www.glasstecpaul.com/adas-recalibration-after-windscreen-replacement/

Thanks @Glassy - really interesting read. But having read it a couple of times I see a lot of "shoulds", a few "ifs" and not much by way of certainty. I don't think it equates to "the cameras are self calibrating" as a blanket statement for example (not having a go at you here:)). I read it that if:

1. The fitter knows what he / she is doing and does it correctly;

2. OEM parts are used; and

3. Nothing goes wrong during fitting (unintended cycling of the ignition etc)

then there is a good chance you will not need recalibration, and having it recalibrated might be an expensive waste of time. The worrying bit is if dealers or fitters are not explaining the process in advance of fitting, owners may be left with non-functioning assist systems with all of the associated hassle (and potential insurance / warranty issues) as a result. At least if it's explained in advance, customers can make an informed choice of whether to have the camera recalibrated as part of the fitting based on their own attitude to risk versus cost.

PS: I'm fully aware I have used just as many "shoulds" and "ifs" as the article writer - and I think that's kind of the point. No-one knows for sure what the outcome will be until the screen is fitted and the assist functions tested. If you want certainty, include the potentially unnecessary recalibration - if you are prepared to wait and see, then do that and potentially save some time and money.

• Like 1

I had my windscreen replaced a few months a go. I went to the local Skoda dealer as I figured I would only have to go there after going to the French equivalent of Autoglass for calibration. It cost with labour an eye watering 1408 euros. Stuff like this is expensive here (as are cars - which is why I got mine via diplomatic sales in the UK thereby saving about a third on the French price). Thankfully the insurance paid all but 119 euros and I got a voucher for 50 euros petrol at the garage, so it wasn't too painful.

• Sad 1

On 14/09/2018 at 13:23, The Wanderer said:

I had my windscreen replaced a few months a go. I went to the local Skoda dealer as I figured I would only have to go there after going to the French equivalent of Autoglass for calibration. It cost with labour an eye watering 1408 euros.

Ouch!!!!!!

I got hit by a pigeon a couple days ago. I saw it coming and was prepared for the hit. My wife jumped out of her skin. WHACK!!! It hit the top right corner of the screen and left a great grey smudge but no damage. I wonder what would have happened had it hit the centre of the screen...