Tailgate closing

I've seen it mentioned across a few threads about the tailgate, and that it didn't close apart from the button on the boot door as a safety feature. More by luck than anything I pressed the fob tailgate button this morning and it closed! It was a hold of the button rather than a press. The Mrs has taken it for the weekend so can't try it again until she gets back. 

u need to press and hold for at least 2 seconds minimum.  it will then start closing and beeping.

works every time for me.

virtual pedal method will also start beeping.

pressing button on tailgate will not beep.

u also need to be located (with the key ofcourse) near the back half of the car for it to listen to ur command.

4 hours ago, JR RS said:

u also need to be located (with the key ofcourse) near the back half of the car for it to listen to ur command.

Not if you do the double click and hold ;) this command will close the tailgate from any distance (within the signal range of the keyfob) 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Howardv said:

Not if you do the double click and hold ;) this command will close the tailgate from any distance (within the signal range of the keyfob) 

Oh.....i didn't know that!

Will try it out sometime soon.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎13‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 17:29, Howardv said:

it sure does, as u stated.

finally got to try this out last night.

was about 20m away - double click hold and its starts beeping away and proceeds to close the boot :)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JR RS said:

it sure does, as u stated.

finally got to try this out last night.

was about 20m away - double click hold and its starts beeping away and proceeds to close the boot :)

It didn't work for me from a certain distance, I'd say 15-20 metres.  The fob must have been in range as the indicators flashed but the boot wouldn't close. 

I know it works when I'm much closer though. 

11 hours ago, lohr5000 said:

Does the double click and hold trick only work on Kessy vehicles? 

It doesn't seem to work on my SE-L Exec 150 4x4 Estate which was 1st registered in Feb this year :crying:

Don’t know. Have Kessy on mine

5 hours ago, penguin17 said:

It didn't work for me from a certain distance, I'd say 15-20 metres.  The fob must have been in range as the indicators flashed but the boot wouldn't close. 

I know it works when I'm much closer though. 

Did some testing now... works as long as the key is in range of the car (able to unlock/lock car) about 40m

Edited by Howardv
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm afraid  I can't get it to work, no matter how close I am to the vehicle, so I can only conclude it hasn't been enabled.

Next step I guess is to invest in an OBDEleven unit, or find someone locally who can change the controller settings for me.

I didn't have to enable anything.

That's how it is from factory.

Do u have Kessy?  Mine does. 

I don't know if this makes a difference.

Anyone found that if you open the tailgate using virtual pedal, whilst you are loading the boot your foot goes under the car then it activates closing, done it quite a few times putting shopping away and it's a PITA!!

• Like 1

I have KESSY, but the "double click and hold" from a distance does´nt work. Indicators are flashing, then nothing more happens. If I stand next to the car, it works (as per normal KESSY operation, as stated in the manual)

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, GaSelle said:

I have KESSY, but the "double click and hold" from a distance does´nt work. Indicators are flashing, then nothing more happens. If I stand next to the car, it works (as per normal KESSY operation, as stated in the manual)

try doing a double click about the same speed you do on a PC mouse, but on the second click you just hold it down. Need to hold it for a second or two until you see the tailgate starts to close. 

R u doing "double-press" then hold?

Effectively doing 3 presses.

When I did it from a distance, my second press was the hold.

Hence press then press (hold) in quick succession.

Edited by JR RS

3 hours ago, GaSelle said:

Exactly how mine behaves.    

Anyone else able to close the boot with the key fob from 20+ metres on a MY18 car?  Maybe the proximity for this to work was reduced vs. earlier builds? 

3 hours ago, JR RS said:

R u doing "double-press" then hold?

Effectively doing 3 presses.

When I did it from a distance, my second press was the hold.

Hence press then press (hold) in quick succession.

Double clicking like a PC mouse, where I hold down the button on the second click. Indicators are flashing, then nothing more happens. 

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, The Skud said:

Anyone found that if you open the tailgate using virtual pedal, whilst you are loading the boot your foot goes under the car then it activates closing, done it quite a few times putting shopping away and it's a PITA!!

Yes, several times!  

I'm wise to this now and avoid putting my foot under the car or, if there's something in the boot near the back seat that's a stretch to reach, I put the key out of range.

I watch out if anyone is helping me load or unload and they're not wise to the virtual peal.  I was returning the records to Welford Garage in Northamptonshire after preparing their accounts and the owner activated it when I was standing near the car as he reached for the last box of records.  He didn't respond to the beeps, so I grabbed him and pulled him back quickly!

Whenever I'm washing the car, I make sure I put the key in the house so that the virtual pedal isn't activated and also to stop it constantly locking when I wash around the door handles.