Citigo Electric

Ronn

It is worth some trying an EV.  You can actually go further up hill and dale and around the bens and glen and get regen & energy greater than the energy used to get up hills when coming down than say doing a coastal route which is pretty horizontal / level.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/447572-ev-sub-£30k-comparison-group-tests/page/18

Edited by e-Roottoot
  • Haha 2

Yes how impossible it is. 

But if you climb the likes of Cairn O Mount on the steep side and then go many more miles downhill and not do that as your return journey then you can generate electricity.

So in the real world as drivers of EV's will be able to tell you, go try it.   The impossible is possible.

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

Not what i reckon.

Driving from the North on the long slow uphil and descending to the south on the short steep down hill uses more fuel in a ICE vehicle or takes more out of you than doing in the opposite direction.  Cycle it and you will see,

Hydro Electric is an interesting concept.  Use energy to pump water uphill when cheap electricity is required and then let the water come down and run the turbine generators to produce electricity, and that is Hydro as a storage system.

That has losses no doubt.

As to EV's generating Electricity, they start out with so much stored and what ever cost, and use so much but you can reduce the loss by generating energy in certain situations.  Running on the flat is not necessarily going to be efficient.

Driving from the North to descend on the South side.

Doing the trip over 4 decades in all sorts of transport lets you know which uses most fuel.

Coasting Function with DSG's really made a difference with ICE Vehicles.

Edited by e-Roottoot

13 minutes ago, e-Roottoot said:

if you climb the likes of Cairn O Mount on the steep side and then go many more miles downhill and not do that as your return journey then you can generate electricity

Just not possible.

Not one of your most intelligent sentences.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Wino  OK.  So it is easy enough to actually do the route and see. 

Cyclists now have 'power meters' and all the stats needed when doing routes or stages and it is easily enough to see how doing the same route in different directions can use different amounts of energy, it is how it has always been.

Do it on an Electric Bike that can regenerate on descents and again it is easy to see when more or less electricity is used from the battery or physical input is required from rider.

Edited by e-Roottoot

Nobody is trying to sell anything to anyone or asking for their cash money other than maybe vehicle sellers.

Many know what it is and how it works and it is what it is and does what it might do.

Some drivers hypermile and stress over it while others just drive and can get better economy and get places just as quickly and effortlessly.

Anyone paying for their fuel and paying attention or making physical effort to propel themselves know what can be efficient and economic or not.

Screenshot 2020-08-11 at 12.58.59 (1).jpg

Screenshot 2020-08-11 at 12.59.39.jpg

Edited by e-Roottoot

15 hours ago, Chris_42 said:

A (pleasantly) surprising range update...

Yesterday I took the car on its first extended trip on the open road. This was with a little trepidation as it was a 90-mile round trip with a fair few hills. Naturally, I gave it a full charge overnight beforehand to be as prepared as possible. With an official average range of 160, I accepted that this figure would take a slight hit when driving out-of-town.

There was a bit of traffic and I stuck to A-roads, never more than 50–55 mph, level 3 regen when needed, no air-con. However, having started with a maximum of 177 miles available, it took ages to decrease and I finished the trip (having travelled 91 miles, 12 of them super-urban) with 130 left on the indicator. This left the charge meter needle at slightly over half-way.

As I routinely charge it when it reaches that level, I plugged it in last night and awoke to a record 228 miles of range! This is approaching Renault Zoe territory and I'd never have thought I'd see it that high (the previous best was 189).

I'd always thought that the continual stop-start in an urban environment makes for better economy (what with the regen and all) but this has been a revelation. I'll be really interested to make the same trip in winter conditions and compare the figures.

Hi please keep these posts coming as I am looking at an electric car for wife's next one and the citgo is a possibility if they are being made at a reasonable rate.

• Like 1

On 11/08/2020 at 06:35, Chris_42 said:

A (pleasantly) surprising range update...

Yesterday I took the car on its first extended trip on the open road. This was with a little trepidation as it was a 90-mile round trip with a fair few hills. Naturally, I gave it a full charge overnight beforehand to be as prepared as possible. With an official average range of 160, I accepted that this figure would take a slight hit when driving out-of-town.

There was a bit of traffic and I stuck to A-roads, never more than 50–55 mph, level 3 regen when needed, no air-con. However, having started with a maximum of 177 miles available, it took ages to decrease and I finished the trip (having travelled 91 miles, 12 of them super-urban) with 130 left on the indicator. This left the charge meter needle at slightly over half-way.

As I routinely charge it when it reaches that level, I plugged it in last night and awoke to a record 228 miles of range! This is approaching Renault Zoe territory and I'd never have thought I'd see it that high (the previous best was 189).

I'd always thought that the continual stop-start in an urban environment makes for better economy (what with the regen and all) but this has been a revelation. I'll be really interested to make the same trip in winter conditions and compare the figures.

That is really encouraging.

All other things being equal EV energy consumption is directly related to speed. However it sounds like the your inadvertent drafting of other vehicles at 50-55 mph would have significantly reduced your aero drag  and energy consumption, increasing your real range.

In the early days of the Tesla S, a Scandinavian couple  managed to near double the official range on a charge but I think their average speed was something like 18kph.

I think your expectation of reduced winter range is realistic with reduced battery efficiency and cabin heating. A warm garage for your baby could make a bit of difference though :) .

Your short EV run to the shops will still monster any ICE vehicle in any conditions though as their consumption is always at its worst after first start.

• Like 1

Pre heating a vehicles interior and the battery before ever getting in the vehicle or driving will also make a difference and that can be done while connected to a charger or not.  And different from a ICE vehicle it can be sitting hot and ready to go and no idling required. 

1 minute ago, e-Roottoot said:

Pre heating a vehicles interior and the battery before ever getting in the vehicle or driving will also make a difference and that can be done while connected to a charger or not.  And different from a ICE vehicle it can be sitting hot and ready to go and no idling required. 

How many hours did your journey take from leaving your home to completion including charging time (for the 300 anticipated miles to be driven)?

• Like 1

Something on my phone this morning as I topped up charge to 100% before I have near 300 miles to travel about CCS charging adaption reduced for Tesla's.   I have planned better today for charging option locations and the day is scorchio.

@Luckypants Sorry posted here in error it was supposed to be after a post in the EV section that @shyVRS245 had made about Tesla charging.

So many Tesla Chargers is one place but in Scotland those places can be far apart and maybe not where you are planning on going.

Yesterday i say 2 Tesla at a 5 star hotel with no chargers with extension cables being run into the 3 pin plugs.

Also was at charging points for Teslas with no one charging and sadly poor performance or not operating / out of order 'public AC & DC Charging.

DSCN5265.JPG.a008f0378d9918211439e395f93a1d9b.jpeg

Edited by e-Roottoot
  • Confused 1

@shyVRS245 my usual 156 miles in 3 hour route became 265 miles and lasted 7 hours.  But yesterday was extraordinary in the need to find roads that were not at a standstill with flooding and a way to keep rolling along.  Even in my 4x4 it would have been an adventure.  Today maybe 6 hours for 300 miles. 

• Thanks 1

On 13/08/2020 at 16:59, e-Roottoot said:

Scandinavian ICE vehicles usually have a Webasto or an electric pre-heater fitted. So in their case, not so different?

• Like 1

@Gerrycan

For my interior and cars glass i usually have the Greenhouse heater in the vehicle and sheepskin seat cover during the coldest weather so that can be anytime from September to May.....

I will again this winter, just not in the EV though.  3 stage heated seats and steering wheel will do the job in it once on the go.

The A/C needing to be used in the past 2 days was using too much energy.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/459155-time-of-the-year-to-hate-my-car

(It is a few decades since i actually saw anyone lighting a fire under the diesel engines and a lorry, tractor or car.)

Edited by e-Roottoot

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/04/2019 at 08:47, Ronn said:

If any car manufacturer brought out a Petrol Powered car that only did 168 miles (Skoda's figure not mine) before you had to drive it to a Petrol Station to be filled up again, they'd be a 'Laughing Stock'.

Yet getting 168 miles out of a full charge on a EV car is greeted by enthusiasts as 'WONDERFUL'.

Encouraging - YES

Wonderful - NO!

Worlds gone Mad!!!

You are perhaps missing the point. 168 miles more than covers my 30 mile commute and I have access to another car. Even if I didn’t I could hire an ICE or a longer range EV for the occasional longer trip. My other car isn’t an Mx-5 because I need more than 2 seats and space for a dog; rather than moan on mx5 forums about the lack of seating I’d buy something that met my needs, if I routinely traveled more than 160 miles I’d buy a car that met that need. It might not be an EV but I wouldn’t publicly declare all EVs as crap or all 2 seat sport cars as a laughingstock because they don’t meet my specific use case

Also if the ice with 168 mile range had that small a range due to packaging and cost reasons rather than **** poor economy it would still meet my commuting needs, it would then come down to the lifetime cost of purchase + fuel to decide if it was a better deal than an EV. Incidentally on this point an eup vs an up gti would take me 6 years to become cheaper if I don’t factor in the lower service costs, the possibility of free charging at 2 charge points in town, any increase in petrol cost and the interest I’m not paying on the eup because I’m in Scotland. That was calculated with all rounding in favour of the GTI and on a flat rate Tarriff.

before you come back that the battery won’t last 6 years its warranty is 75% capacity after 8 years which still meets my commuting need

• Like 2

Replying to Cornish expat:

I agree I think the world has gone mad.

Certain some elements of the motoring public who are buying these Citigo's that used to cost £10,000 with a highly developed & sophisticated 3 cylinder petrol engine in it that returned 65mpg.

The Pensioners are trading in their perfectly viable petrol powered Citigo's for cars with exactly the same platform as before but instead of petrol power the new Citigo is supplied with a Washing Machine Electric Motor.

They must be mad!

It can't be the young who are buying the Citigo E, because the Citigo is as stylish as a House Brick.

I know cos my wife owns one!

No, its Old F**ts like me who buy them.

Pensioners with more money than common sense who can easily afford to by Petrol.

4 hours ago, Ronn said:

The Pensioners are trading in their perfectly viable petrol powered Citigo's for cars with exactly the same platform as before but instead of petrol power the new Citigo is supplied with a Washing Machine Electric Motor.

If it is a washing machine motor then it has one heck of a rinse speed! 😀

• Like 1

@ron

You totally miss the point.

Some people actual cover miles with their cars.

In the past 13 days since i got me new EV i have done 1,300 miles and paid £2.06 & £9.32 for charging only because of flooded roads and charging hubs with Free Charging not being available.

Each to their own on what they want to spend money on, maybe more for a car and less in fuelling, parking etc.

Doing 350 miles or so tomorrow and might spend 50-60  minutes of the day charging for free before the end of driving then charge overnight for free.

DSCN5344.JPG

Edited by e-Roottoot

That's a very valid point.

Capital outlay is one thing, but "total cost of ownership" is another. Depends on usage pattern, how long you keep the car, whether you service the car yourself (for ICE, it's more likely, so if you use a garage, the cost may well be more) etc. not to mention charges for driving ICE In cities that will soon become more common, should you be living in a city....

Edited by freemansteve

A really positive review of the Citigo-e. However, right at the end he states that he's discovered that the Citigo-e/e-UP/Mii electric will only charge at 3.2Kw on a single phase wall box charger, not at 7.2Kw as advertised. To get 7.2Kw home charging, you will need 3-phase electricity. Can any of the the folks who actually run one of these cars confirm this?

29 minutes ago, Luckypants said:

Can any of the the folks who actually run one of these cars confirm this?

I don't have a home wall box but can confirm that when ever I use a 7Kw public charger, the rate never exceeds 3.6Kw.

Here's a screenshot from the AC charging section from EV Database.

Screenshot 2020-08-24 at 12.46.41.png

• Thanks 1