Thoughts on cost of suspension replacement

Have been quoted £600 plus VAT (labour only) by a good quality independent to replace shocks top mounts, discs and calipers and realign tracking on my 12 year old vrs, the new shocks drop the car by 25mm so maybe headlights need realignment also. The hourly rate is £50. Does this seem reasonable in today's inflated prices.?

Twelve hours labour seems absurd, but my guess is that they're quoting that because you're pinching their margin on all the parts, a lot of garages won't entertain free issue parts because it reduces profit and affects the warranty on the work.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Skoda_Saint said:

Does seem a lot of money IMO, definitely get other quotes. If you've not bought the suspension side of it yet check AP's as they're quite well regarded. I'd also check one of the site sponsors DPM as they're usually quite competitive in supplying parts.

Come on chap, B12's are a MASSIVELY superior setup to AP, why would he want to downgrade?

Labour would be the same anyway.

1 hour ago, Skoda_Saint said:

Does seem a lot of money IMO, definitely get other quotes. If you've not bought the suspension side of it yet check AP's as they're quite well regarded. I'd also check one of the site sponsors DPM as they're usually quite competitive in supplying parts.

It's DPM who are quoting £555 for the B12 setup including postage. I could get it slightly cheaper elsewhere but not sure about what I am actually getting from some other sellers.

2 hours ago, Offski said:

?

Who is quoting you and have you tried another garage in the area that competes for work?

Or just what area of Scotland are you in?

Glasgow

Hm maybe a bit much? Would imagine MAX half hour per caliper, and half an hour per shock.. £50/hr is more expensive than up here (abdnshre) so might be worth sourcing someone that could do a homer for you then head to National or similar (other big companies are available) to get tracking done. Sure you could manage the calipers yourself, and the rear arms are certainly doable (see my thread from last week! Lol)

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Superfi said:

Hm maybe a bit much? Would imagine MAX half hour per caliper, and half an hour per shock.. £50/hr is more expensive than up here (abdnshre) so might be worth sourcing someone that could do a homer for you then head to National or similar (other big companies are available) to get tracking done. Sure you could manage the calipers yourself, and the rear arms are certainly doable (see my thread from last week! Lol)

Superfi, I was reckoning on 2hrs per corner which would total £400, I know the guys at National locally and wondered if they would do the whole job, haven't approached them yet. I am well past the age of lying under a car plus don't have axle stands, a garage or tools required to do the job

On 20/08/2018 at 21:02, Boatman1 said:

Superfi, I was reckoning on 2hrs per corner which would total £400, I know the guys at National locally and wondered if they would do the whole job, haven't approached them yet. I am well past the age of lying under a car plus don't have axle stands, a garage or tools required to do the job

£300 would be reasonable on a labour only basis as this is less than a days work for a competent mechanic in a fully equipped workshop. I'd get the whole lot done by lunchtime.

21 hours ago, sepulchrave said:

£300 would be reasonable on a labour only basis as this is less than a days work for a competent mechanic in a fully equipped workshop. I'd get the whole lot done by lunchtime.

I hear what you say Sepulchrave although there is the cost of wheel realignment and possibly headlight realignment, brake bleeding, testing etc I would happily pay £400 for a good job.

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/08/2018 at 20:23, Offski said:

OK, 

no point suggesting a good place in Fife or Tayside then.

The only place i know of that a friend used local to you is James Coyle Motor Engineers.

http://jcmotorengineers.co.uk 

Offski, many thanks for the  pointer, this garage quoted £380 plus VAT for all the work including the RARB installation, their customer satisfaction level is also outstanding will be visiting them next week to arrange the work, again, many thanks.