Rear tire roar

Hello everyone,

First time here, as I just bought a Skoda superb break with less than 1 year and only 80 km (demo car). Haven't received it yet but I absolutely loved it, except for the fact that there is too much noise coming from the rear tires. I mean, my current 17 year old Opel Astra is quieter! I read a lot about how comfortable and reasonably quiet this car is supposed to be, so I'm a bit let down by this... Price was great considering it's almost brand new and I'm really hoping it's just down to a poor choice of tires. Car in on 16" wheels and I've never heard of that tire brand (can't even remember now), but does anyone one know what tires are factory fitted to these cars? Mine is a 2.0 tdi 150 in Ambition trim.

Cheers!

1 hour ago, pcspinheiro said:

Hello everyone,

First time here, as I just bought a Skoda superb break with less than 1 year and only 80 km (demo car). Haven't received it yet but I absolutely loved it, except for the fact that there is too much noise coming from the rear tires. I mean, my current 17 year old Opel Astra is quieter! I read a lot about how comfortable and reasonably quiet this car is supposed to be, so I'm a bit let down by this... Price was great considering it's almost brand new and I'm really hoping it's just down to a poor choice of tires. Car in on 16" wheels and I've never heard of that tire brand (can't even remember now), but does anyone one know what tires are factory fitted to these cars? Mine is a 2.0 tdi 150 in Ambition trim.

Cheers!

There are some brands that are crazy noisy under Superb. The worst in that category is Pirelly P7.

Skoda states itself that it uses premium tyre brands on it's cars but is not, so to say, brand loyal. You can get your Superb wearing with Pirelli, Continental, Bridgestone, Hankook and probably couple of more, tyres. But Skoda factory does not use unkown tyre brands so if you don't even remember the brand, then dealer has probably swaped the tyres. Check what they are and post here so better advice could be given.

You wrote that the car is 1 year old and driven only 80km? Are you sure that you did't make a typo here? No 1 year old demo car should have 80km milage. It's like one test drive.

What makes me confused is that you claim to have Ambition trim line but 16" wheels. May I ask what country are you from? Around here it is not possible to order Ambition on 16" wheels even if you are willing to pay extra. Ambition comes on 17" wheels as a standard and 16" can only bought with Active trim line. 

But then again, different countries have different specs. 

Two things concerne me. Ambition having 16" wheels and the fact that very low milage ex-demo car has full set of unknown brand tyres. 

Were the car bought from official Skoda dealer?

Welcome to the forum.

Maybe an idea to look at the tyres and then say what brand they are.

Do you know the tyre pressures that you are running, and have you tried setting them at any other pressure, maybe up towards the Full Load pressure, then try again with lower pressure.

Basic kind of stuff really.

Thanks for all your quick replies!

Car really is only 80 km, unless they messed with that, and I'm buying from a skoda dealer. Car's a demo, still had the large advertising stickers on it yesterday. I think skodas may not be too popular around here, maybe people prefer to pay over 38k for a 2.0 tdi golf variant...

I checked the configurator for Portugal and the 16" wheels are standard on the ambition trim. Here, not only are cars unbelievably expensive compared to most of Europe, but I see they also skimp on the specs... Mad face here. Maybe they do the same with the tires, as I do know a lot of tire brands but this one I did not recognize. 

I'm picking up the car tomorrow, so I can't check tire pressures or whatever... But what I do know is that my old car is quieter concerning road noise (specifically coming from the back), and it's a 17 year old car, so I'm really thinking tires may be the issue. Since it's still under factory warranty, if the problem does not go away do you think it's enough for a claim?

First thing i do when i collect a car, used, new, road test, hire, loaner is ask the person with the keys what the tyre pressures are at.

Then i check them and set them because my life depends on them and i do not trust Salespeople or Technicians.

Never known anyone yet even a car salesman driving the car daily as a perk to know what the 4 pressures are in the tyres.

I always have a tyre pressure gauge with me.

Just that i like them looking like a t!t. it puts them in their place.  ie chancers.

Edited by Offski

I know the tire pressures on my current car because I set them and check regularly, but on the new one I can't say. They were definitely not sagging or anything, maybe they could actually be too full... It was also 38 degrees yesterday when I drove it...

Check everything about the car.  Ask the dealership employee as they should know it all and it is on the computer system.

When was it Built.

When was it delivered to the dealership.

When was it given the PDI.  (Pre delivery inspection.)

When was it first registered.

Are the wheels and tyres now fitted the ones that the cars spec should have fitted?

Then you will know the whole story. 

On 21/08/2018 at 14:38, alf.onso said:

Skoda states itself that it uses premium tyre brands on it's cars but is not...

Mine came fitted with Falken tyres. No grip, wet or dry, although I didn’t have the steering wheel wobble that I’m now experiencing with the replacement Pirellis. 

On 21/08/2018 at 16:41, pcspinheiro said:

Thanks for all your quick replies!

Car really is only 80 km, unless they messed with that, and I'm buying from a skoda dealer.....

Every new car can get a reset to 0 km as long as the car didn't drive more than 500 km, since it has left the factory. This reset is only one time possible, and is meant to deliver a brandnew car with 0 km on the dash. Maybe your car did 499 + 80 km in total.

25 minutes ago, Fabia-format said:

Every new car can get a reset to 0 km as long as the car didn't drive more than 500 km, since it has left the factory. This reset is only one time possible, and is meant to deliver a brandnew car with 0 km on the dash. Maybe your car did 499 + 80 km in total.

What? There is no such thing where I live and it would be illegal (atleast here). 

All new cars I have bought have had under 10 km on the dash. For example my last MK3 Superb had 6km and it was driven in the factory not by local dealer. All the dealer did was drive around on its compound between different garage doors. 

Where I live every manipulation with odometer is illegal even if it would be done by official distributor and I would personally make a huge fuss about it if I found that my new car has actually driven over 500km.

Just picked up the car today but called in the morning to have them check the tires. It turns out they were way too full, because the car mostly stood still. They toned down the pressure and the car was quieter when I picked it up, although I think it might still be too much pressure. Have to check that tomorrow before any family journeys. The tires fitted are some bloody Falken... probably rubbish but I won't just go and trash a brand new set of tires... The Good year efficient grip performance tires on my Opel Astra are very quiet and seem to last very long. 

Anyway, I'll see if things improve more after checking the tire pressures

Cheers!

10 hours ago, pcspinheiro said:

Just picked up the car today but called in the morning to have them check the tires. It turns out they were way too full, because the car mostly stood still. They toned down the pressure and the car was quieter when I picked it up, although I think it might still be too much pressure. Have to check that tomorrow before any family journeys. The tires fitted are some bloody Falken... probably rubbish but I won't just go and trash a brand new set of tires... The Good year efficient grip performance tires on my Opel Astra are very quiet and seem to last very long. 

Anyway, I'll see if things improve more after checking the tire pressures

Cheers!

11 hours ago, daveo138 said:

Mine came fitted with Falken tyres. No grip, wet or dry, although I didn’t have the steering wheel wobble that I’m now experiencing with the replacement Pirellis. 

On 21/08/2018 at 14:38, alf.onso said:

There are some brands that are crazy noisy under Superb. The worst in that category is Pirelly P7.

For the record our 1.4 TSi 150 PS is fitted with Pirelli P7 (17 " 215 55's) and they are absolutely fine. Had it almost 18 months and its without doubt the quietest car we have ever owned. There may well be quieter tyres out there but I have absolutely no complaints.

Before we bought the Superb we tried 2 Octavias and just like the 2 Octavias we tried a few years ago all except one of them were incredibly noisy to the point of being totally unacceptable. The unacceptable ones were all estates, the acceptable one was a hatch. Compared to all of those (including the hatch) the Superb is peace and tranquility.

I have P7's on 19" rims. While not really that noisy they lack grip in damp conditions, especially when trying to put so much torque through the fronts alone (forget launch control with P7s on a 220 FWD car - it is rubbish), so I will probably change them to a different brand. There are many threads in this particular forum about tyres and what people have found to be good. Have a search.

On 22/08/2018 at 23:41, alf.onso said:

What? There is no such thing where I live and it would be illegal (atleast here). 

All new cars I have bought have had under 10 km on the dash. For example my last MK3 Superb had 6km and it was driven in the factory not by local dealer. All the dealer did was drive around on its compound between different garage doors. 

Where I live every manipulation with odometer is illegal even if it would be done by official distributor and I would personally make a huge fuss about it if I found that my new car has actually driven over 500km.

Manipulation with odometers is illegal, except in the case I wrote about. If you think about it, it will be clear that no car has reached 10 km before delivery to the first owner, is not very plausible. The car has made some trips before it arrived at the dealer it has made some trips:

- there is a short road test, or a test at a dynamometer, to check the car is ok.

-from the production line to the parking at the factory, waiting for transport. (often several km's)

- from the huge parking to the transport (train, truck or what kind of transport they use) (again several km's)

- from the transport vehicle to the parking of the importer/distributor (also huge parkings) (again more than 1 km)

- from the importer/distributor parking to the transport vehicle to the dealer (more than one km)

- from the transport vehicle to the parking of the dealer

- sometimes transport to another location to make the car ready for delivery to the customer, and transport back to the dealer

- sometimes a short test drive to check if the car is ok, and everything is working in the right way

In the case a new car is in the showroom at the dealer, interested potential buyers can make a test drive and than you can add some extra km's. When a showroom car is sold as a new car, the dealer can reset the ODOmeter, only when the ODOmeter shows less than 500 km, and this reset is only possible for one time, so the first official owner can receive a car with an ODOmeter which shows 0 km (or slightly more).

On 22/08/2018 at 21:58, freelunch said:

I would think the wobble is alignment, not tyres.

Ive been back to K—-fit for the third time in as many weeks. They checked the balance this time, rather than just pulling the weights and rebalancing. Both fronts were out of balance again. They insisted on giving me a free alignment check - they also called the leasing company to get authorisation to adjust the tracking, which was only a couple of minutes out on one wheel.  I wonder how much they charged for that?!

I asked if they thought that would have been causing the problem. They reluctantly admitted that it probably wouldn’t. 

“Bring it back if it isn’t any better and we’ll see if the manager will authorise changing the tyres”!

I don't know which value of the alignment was several minutes out of range. Are you certain it wasn't several seconds out of range, instead of minutes. 2 minutes out of range, is 12 degrees!!

I can hardly imagine that just driving for one week, at wrong alignment (tracking) gives so much wear, that also disbalance is caused in such a short period. So in my opinion there is something seriously wrong with your car. (wheels, chassis, support arm, broken wheel spring etc.)

• Confused 1

On 22/08/2018 at 21:58, freelunch said:

I would think the wobble is alignment, not tyres.

Steering wheel wobble is because the wheels/tyres are not balanced on the front.

The wheels/tyres might have worn abnormally and made the wheels/tyres become out of balance because the alignment is out.

This would not normally happen within two weeks though.

If the rear wheels have toe/camber adjustment then this needs checking and adjusting first.

Some places cannot/do not check this.

Thanks AG Falco