1.8 TSi return to dealer

Sorry been busy looking at other cars and dealing with 9 week old Lab puppy.

They took it back, accepted it was within the 30 days. 

The owner of the garage was away but he is back next week and will call me to arrange the refund.

All very pleasant to be honest, but let's wait either until I get the money.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Well I chased them yesterday morning and they say they cannot find a fault with it!:sweat:

Not sure what to do now?

Anybody had any experience of returning a car within the 30 day?

They say the will not offer me a refund, but it is my decision.

Not sure where I stand legally as I did not have time before the 30 days was up to get an official Skoda consumption test.

They want Skoda to do a consumption test, so i cannot see how they think there is no fault if they have not done one?

I cannot afford to swap my insurance again to get it to a dealer then pay the £200 for the test.

I obviously want a completely independent test, and not done by a garage they have a relationship with.

• 2 weeks later...

Adrian5(5) the story with Skoda is very simple in 2 stages

a) Skoda will refuse any deal and support to fix the issue. In VAG world TSi engines are cursed just for this very ineffective oil rings and chain tensioner. Too bad for their reputation that goes lower by day.

b) if any Skoda workshop will do the repair to your engine there will be with 2nd generation parts that are very much the same that created in the first place the oil ring problem.

There are extremely few repairs  that mixed 2nd and 3rd generations parts to repair the engine. It cost so much and I dont think a second hand car deserve the effort to fix it.

Mine was owned as brand new.

On 05/09/2018 at 09:10, Herts72 said:

They want Skoda to do a consumption test, so i cannot see how they think there is no fault if they have not done one?

I cannot afford to swap my insurance again to get it to a dealer then pay the £200 for the test.

I obviously want a completely independent test, and not done by a garage they have a relationship with.

With the first 30 days you have the legal right to a full refund, no deductions, no need to prove its faulty.

30 days to 6 months its the sellers responsibility to prove its not faulty and not yours. If it is faulty and they agree to refund they can (and will) deduct costs for the use you have had.

After 6 months its up to the buyer to prove it was faulty at the time of sale. That will be difficult and will cost you.

Since you returned it with 30 days they cannot refuse to refund. But even if you take it to court there is not guarantee you will get a single penny. If its a limited company they will probably go bankrupt with no assets thus nothing for you to receive.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Adrian55555 said:

I am aware how it works. I worked with the vag brand for a long time! 

I was replying to the OP thus why tell me YOU work for VAG.

• Sad 1

I think he was replying to the previous poster and it overlapped your post.

No need to be nasty Skid, think before you type.

Adrian was a warranty handler for a Skoda dealer for many years and gives us valuable insight into dealer handing of claims. We benefit from his knowledge so don't push him away.

1 hour ago, skidpan said:

With the first 30 days you have the legal right to a full refund, no deductions, no need to prove its faulty.

30 days to 6 months its the sellers responsibility to prove its not faulty and not yours. If it is faulty and they agree to refund they can (and will) deduct costs for the use you have had.

After 6 months its up to the buyer to prove it was faulty at the time of sale. That will be difficult and will cost you.

Since you returned it with 30 days they cannot refuse to refund. But even if you take it to court there is not guarantee you will get a single penny. If its a limited company they will probably go bankrupt with no assets thus nothing for you to receive.

I spoke to Trading Standards and Citizens Advice and it is up to me to prove a fault apparently. The  car is with Skoda at the moment and I will know the results of the oil consumption test tomorrow morning.

Assuming it fails, i have arranged transport back from the garage tomorrow as I don't want to insure it for another week!!

If it doesn't fail........

• Confused 1

Proving that there is a faulty requires commissioning a Qualified Motor Engineer that does Examinations for Individuals and Dealerships / Manufacturers for the likes of taking to Court.

That is simple, not that expensive and neither is going to court for a Civil Action.

It is the Seller that you have to take the legal action against though.

Problem against a manufacturer like Skoda / VW is what has happened over the years the VW Group do not defend an action in England / Wales or Scotland or Northern Ireland because that requires their Expert in court divulging the History of the Engines Involved.  Their knowledge, warranty claims, service campaigns, TPI's. updated parts etc.

People taking legal advice are usually told that you are on a hiding to nothing and the Manufacturer is not who you take to court.

A good news story.  & there was another similar recently with a Mk2 Fabia owning member.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/452890-yeti-18tsi-brand-new-engine-a-success-story 

Edited by Offski

18 hours ago, Herts72 said:

I spoke to Trading Standards and Citizens Advice and it is up to me to prove a fault apparently. The  car is with Skoda at the moment and I will know the results of the oil consumption test tomorrow morning.

Assuming it fails, i have arranged transport back from the garage tomorrow as I don't want to insure it for another week!!

If it doesn't fail........

Trading Standards and Citizens Advice are wrong. Its only upto the buyer to prove after 6 months.

Taken from the Which? website

"If you discover the fault within the first six months of having the product, it is presumed to have been there since the time you took ownership of it - unless the retailer can prove otherwise.

During this time, it's up to the retailer to prove that the fault wasn't there when you bought it - it's not up to you to prove that it was."

14 minutes ago, skidpan said:

Trading Standards and Citizens Advice are wrong. Its only upto the buyer to prove after 6 months.

Taken from the Which? website

"If you discover the fault within the first six months of having the product, it is presumed to have been there since the time you took ownership of it - unless the retailer can prove otherwise.

During this time, it's up to the retailer to prove that the fault wasn't there when you bought it - it's not up to you to prove that it was."

Including used products?

Bit of a bombshell to me... 

The results are in!!!!!

Skoda allowable oil usage 0.5lt per 1000km

My oil usage 2.3lt per 1000km :o

The dealer is now being a complete arse and refusing to refund me, coming up with all sorts of crap to try to avoid paying out.

He finally offered me a reconditioned engine or buy it back at trade as a gesture of goodwill.

Just about to send them a letter before action and start work on my claim.

I have been nothing but fair and done everything they have asked at my cost, so its gloves off time!:muscle:

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

On 22/08/2018 at 14:15, Herts72 said:

I just purchased a 2011 Superb estate 1.8 from an independent dealer. Took the RAC Warranty out as well.

They have replied today stating if I get get Skoda to do a consumption test and it is the engine Skoda will repair it free of charge.

On 05/09/2018 at 09:39, Herts72 said:

Well I chased them yesterday morning and they say they cannot find a fault with it!

Well, expected result with oil consumption test, the independent dealer is the typical example of real arse ... But that was obvious from the begining :sadsmile:

Edited by rayx
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Herts72 said:

The results are in!!!!!

Skoda allowable oil usage 0.5lt per 1000km

My oil usage 2.3lt per 1000km :o

You are not right. This amount of oil burned is not possible. I dont see a reason why you want to escalade an conflict telling things that are not correct.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

The Skoda, VW, SEAT , Audi statement that "May be as much as 0.5 l 1,000 km" ,  does not make that the 'Allowable oil use'.

That is what they show for every engine from 44 kw, petrol or diesel, 3,4,5,6,8,12 Cylinders, and have been doing for years.

A vehicle used normally is never 'Expected or is it acceptable to need 6 litres of topping up between 9,400 fixed services.

A figure that was unacceptable was 0.3 litres / 1,000km / 621 miles.   That was a usage that got engines rebuilt, then short units then base units with 1.4 TSI / TFSI Twinchargers.

What are the conditions that a car in the UK at UK National Speed Limits using 95 ron or higher octane could make 0.5 l use per 621 miles acceptable.

Ambient Temps never above 35*oC, and never more than 3,500 ft above Sea Level, and not towing anything.

w960_4095-227.png.b23b02239ceecffab9f7f4e945e494ff.png

Edited by Offski

12 minutes ago, safari hunter said:

I know the statement with 500 ml / 1000 km, but when my engine reached  1 litre per 1000 km  my spark plugs ( brand new Irridium Denso) melted. So I don't  belive that the engine reached 2300 ml / 1000 km.

It doesn't matter what you think, an official skoda test result is all that matters. They cannot deny his refund now.

Afaik spark plugs usually melt if you fit the wrong heat range or have wrong fuel mixture/timing/tuning,  not oil burn. (ducks head under table)

• Like 1