Throttle response

30 minutes ago, Bigken6002 said:

do we know if the superb sportline has the same response as the Audi 

It will after u change it via VCDS, or OBDEleven.

14 minutes ago, Bigken6002 said:

Have you got a link for it 

Ken here it is

https://www.diesel-performance.co.uk/

Choose the superb and your 280 engine from the pulldowns. Then go for the DTUK® PEDAL BOX PLUS

Dead easy to fit and hide it in the little cubby box near the light switch.

Edited by TerryMcK

I'm currently torn between the dtuk/dte pedalbox+, the racechip xlr or making the following change in vcds:

[Direct Acceleration - Throttle response]
With this mod, you can change the behavior of the accelerator. Option B provides a more linear acceleration without sudden deliveries.
1 - Module 44 - Power steering. Code (19249)
2 - Adaptation
3 - Select - switching driving profile
Choices :
A - Gradual, controlled by time
B - Directly controlled threshold value

This shouldn't throw any errors in the ABS like the Audi setting. (I take zero credit for this, it's plastered all over the forums)

I'm drawn to the xlr as I like the easy to read dial and ability to change to the conditions (e.g. parking) especially whilst getting used to a manual.

I like the free nature of the vcds mod, but worry about it impacting other aspects of the drive mode selection.

And then there's dtuk/dte which seem to have a brilliant track record and have been doing it forever (albeit at a slightly higher price).

So I'm in a right pickle, even before I've got me a build date :-O

Thanks @Baverhanne. Would you say it negates the need for a pedal box at all? Or is it a halfway house? 

The "direct" mod, did it have any effect on the steering or drive mode selection,  or are they all behaving as they should? - I recall somebody saying it made normal steering heavier and sport steering almost unusable...

(Sorry for all the questions... If I had the car I'd haveprobably just tried it by now :-) )

Edited by DjEatch

On 01/09/2018 at 12:52, DjEatch said:

DTUK vs Racechip.....fiiiiiight.

I went with Racechip simply because DTUK is very economical with the facts so I wouldn’t buy anything from them again.

No issues with the Racechip box at all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, freelunch said:

I went with the DTUK PedalBox+ because of reviews here and the full-satisfaction-or-money-back guarantee. Best £200 I've spent on the car.

I bet he ‘forgot’ to mention that he charges a £50 ‘re-stocking’ fee though! :@

• Sad 1

Thanks guys, sounds like they are both worth a look, and neither should let me down.

The XLR is edging it, just with the (to me) easier to use on the go dial.

I'm now toying with getting both a pedal box and tuning box bundle :-) So balanced reviews are more than welcome. - but more so are discount codes :cash:

32 minutes ago, Gizmo said:

I bet he ‘forgot’ to mention that he charges a £50 ‘re-stocking’ fee though! :@

Geeeez, at that rate might be best off selling it straight on - hardly a money back guarantee, more a "some money back guarantee" :ohmy:

Agreed

I bought their tuning box for the Yeti, I explained I really wanted another Shark map to Andrew (DTUK owner) but didn’t have time to go there)  he said about the money back guarantee if I was not happy ‘so I had nothing to lose’ cut a long story short the tuning box was not performing correctly despite all of the maps being tried with and without sensors plugged in (all Andrews suggestions)  so it went back, ONLY THEN did he mention the £50, so I did have something to lose after all. 

VERY underhand way to run a business..... 

FWIW I then went to Shark and didn’t regret it for a second. 

Hi @DarkSun,

I dodn't have one myself, but have done a fair amount of research.

It basically plugs into the throttle pedal connector in the bottom of the dash - you unplug the existing throttle cable, put the pedalbox loom between the original plug+socket and then connect them back together (creating a pedalbox sandwich, if you will).... It's far simpler if you have a look at their website, my explanation isn't very good :-(.

It essentially takes the angle value that the pedal is sending to the engine and alters it based on the setting you have selected (e.g. on a low setting you might press the pedal 10% and it send 5% to the engine, or on a high setting 10% might send say 30% to the engine) - all the curves start at 0% and end at 100%, it's just the shape of how they get between them that changes.

There are some graphs somewhere that show what i mean.

pedalbox curve graph

It doesn't increase power, because the pedal is still working between 0% and 100% of the original values. (anything over 100% could cause the ecu to throw an out of range fault and potentially put the car into limp mode)..

Pedalbox+ > pedalbox - newer dsp technology, i believe setting memory was only in the plus version, and the new one is better looking. also they are the same price on DTUK so go fro the plus.

Hope this helps :-)

• Like 1

I would think of the accelerator like a variable resistor, the more you press the more resistance goes up (or down).

These pedal boxes just take the input resistance and change it to a new value, so the car reacts differently to accelerator position.

eg

old=new

0% = 0%

5%=10%

10%=20%

etc

100%=100%

Obviously it's more sophisticated than that :D

No worries. I'm seeing this a lot :-) . So much so that i'm probably going to order soon too - even before I've got a bl00dy build week!!

(Think i'm going for the racechip XLR instead of the DTUK, mainly for the dial - easy access while i get used to it)

39 minutes ago, DarkSun said:

Hey @DjEatch

Thanks for the great explanation! I see people really like it, think i will order it also. My problem is that the car feels under powered when pressing slightly the pedal and i have to press much harder to feel the actual power.

A pedalbox will transform the car and you will perceive a vast difference. I have the DTUK+ and it really makes a difference. As mentioned it does not magically give you a more powerful car but makes it more responsive to your accelerator foot.

I have mine mounted in the little cubby box on the drivers side and after setting it to suit me I now never touch it.

Edited by TerryMcK
  • Thanks 1

@DarkSun  "Transform" is the word, as TerryMcK said.

This site is littered with threads about the PedalBox, including tips on installation, warranty issues, service issues, insurance issues, etc... Take some time to do a search, it's worth it.

Personally, I've never tried a setting above City+2 – the car really takes off! No throttle lag at all. I've left the 'box' in place during service and not had a mention. It's my car and I will probably be keeping it well beyond the warranty period, so don't worry about that. You can remove it in a few minutes if you have to and no one will be the wiser, unless you're susceptible to lie detectors. :blink: