Has my DPF been removed?

pavlf

Hello. I posted this in the Yeti forum by accident. Mkii Octavia 1.6cr. Ran the Vag DPF app and these are the results ...?!?! Something is clearly rather wrong here. Is it that the DPF has been removed? I bought the car @14500km ago ... last year ... 

This car has been nothing but trouble really. Can anyone confirm that this looks like the DPF is missing? If not what is going on? I did this because the MOT is coming up in mid october so I wanted to see where I was at beforehand. I can't see that I can sell if without a DPF, unless I was completely unscrupulous (as the dealer who sold it to me may or may not have been)

Any ideas? 

Screenshot_20180902-123727.png

I bought it over a year ago so I can't really see how I can have any comeback really. Who's to say I didn't take it out myself? I got it MOTd last year, so I can't even claim their MOT was dodgy. No, the car hasn't had the fix.

As far as I can tell it isn't possible for it to have gone 14,000 kms and have 0.00 soot, not unless it's some kind of immaculate combustion miracle. The big worry is that I just paid £700 to have a new injector fitted, the last thing I need is this on top of that!  

looks like missing DPF to me..

should use real VCDS diagnostic to see status..

go to mechanic, car repair service..

if is ti true, sorry for you buyed dpf off car..

it is against law.. 

try to run engine and in idle acceleator pedal to bottom, to max and see egr percentage.  (high pressure egr closing )if it stays on 100% it is closed too.. (disabled)

• Like 1

So you know you never stripped the DPF, you had it tested, so get it tested again.  You would have comeback if you were sold it DPF/less and i remember you suspecting THe Fix had been done.

The App is maybe the issue.

The place that fitted the Injector and charged £700 could have checked on their analyzer.

?

Which country are you in?

Thanks for the replies. I'm in the UK. I've got a horrible feeling I'm looking at a lot of money here. MOT isn't until November 5 so I've got a bit of time to work out a plan of action. Two garages have had it on VCDS. Neither of them mentioned this - not sure how thorough people are when they look at engine readouts. 

It runs great. 57-62mpg and feels generally like an all-round good car, a skoda octavia I suppose. It accelerates well, it cruises perfectly, it's great really.

I do put Miller's ecomax in, mainly because I've still got a bottle full from when I was having injector issues! The thing is that it doesn't seem to be doing regens, or at least not that I've ever noticed. Most of my journeys are 70 odd miles so I assumed that it would be taking care of itself. But then the general worry regarding the new MOT regs meant that I thought I'd investigate. The app says it hasn't done one since - in distance  terms - I bought it. 

Last MOT the Examiner was also looking to see if there was a DPF, and there must have been and no sign of it having been stripped.

Seems to me you should drive the car and enjoy and stop worrying. 

If the DPF was not present the MOT should have been a fail last year.

Yes, probably you are right. I'll deal with it when I have to. So not for at least eight weeks!

It's difficult to relax with this car though, the things that have happened over the last few months make it seem like it's jinxed. An injector went, got it replaced, garage fitted the injectors back with the same bolt that was already on (not a skoda part) so a week later just as I accelerated onto the motorway car lost power, the dash lit up like an xmas tree and smoke poured out from under the bonnet. This was at midnight. Looked under the bonnet and could see the injectors had blown out. Recovery came, got me home at 2am but then failed to get the car of the tow ramp, somehow he got it tangled up and ended up jacking it up on the sump to get it off ramp with obvious consequences.

So now I'm in dispute with the recovery agents to recover the money I had to pay out to fix the sump. The mechanic to his credit admitted the injector was his fault, and re-seated the injectors with  genuine skoda bolt. Obviously whoever worked on the car previously didn't much care. Who knows, perhaps the injector issues weren't even a consequence of a failing injector, perhaps it was because the bolt was failing all along?  So not much luck with this vehicle all in all, which is a real pity because I do like these skodas a lot! 

9 hours ago, Offski said:

Seems to me you should drive the car and enjoy and stop worrying. 

I agree. That's the best you can do right now. Especially if you can't return the car to the seller.

In fact, you haven't removed the DPF and you have bought the car in good faith - how are you supposed to know whether there is one or not? If it fails on the MOT then you could think but it didn't last year :)

I would not feel guilty.  VW Group designed and built the engines and the German and other European Governments knew they were cheating and EU tests in buildings were not the emissions out on the roads.  Then the German Authorities allowed VW after they admitted having Defeat Devices and offering to Voluntarily remove them even though they say they are legal do not then do 'A fix' that reduces the Emissions out on roads, just allow them to be able to pass outdated and known to be cheating EU Tests, ones now discontinued.

http://skoda.co.uk/pages/fuel-consumption-statement.aspx 

Using lots of extra fuel to do Regens, and some engines that are excessive oil users is not 'Green' or saving the world.

Lying about Fuel Consumptions and making out that testing empty cars in not real world conditions is about comparisons is something politicians fully back so i would chill.

All the duff Emissions Control systems do is make for 'job creation' for engineers and mechanics and obviously manufacturers profits.

Edited by Offski
  • Like 1

I also have a 1.6 TDI with CAYC engine. Mine regenerates around every 700km.

During regeneration the idle rpm is not 800 as usual but 1000 and the oil temperature can rise above 100°C. Try to check out these regularry to catch a regeneration event if it occures.

Well, the constant 1000 rpm for idle is strange. I'm not a map expert, but it is suspicious to me.

I have a stock map (completely original, also not updated due to the diesel scandal).

Address 01: Engine (J623-CAYC)       Labels: 03L-906-023-CAY.clb
   Part No SW: 03L 906 023 LP    HW: 03L 906 023 JH
   Component: 1,6l R4 CR td H43 8810  
   Revision: --H43---    Serial number:               
   Coding: 00114016032400080000
   Shop #: WSC 73430 031 00064
   ASAM Dataset: EV_ECM16TDI02103L906023LP 003005
   ROD: EV_ECM16TDI02103L997557.rod
   VCID: 7F0D65D9E62CEFB9B6-802A

No fault code found.
Readiness: 0000 0000

My idle rpm is 800 in neutral and 900 when I press the clutch pedal.

If the regeneration is on, then the idle rpm is 1000 regardless I press the clutch pedal or not.

So I think if you have other idle behavior, than something is not stock.

Hmmmm .... well, it does idle at 800 here and there, certainly when cold, but then at other times it mostly tends to idle at 1000. The MOT is in a couple of weeks, so I guess I'll find out if I'll be needing another credit card or not then. 

• 1 month later...

Just by way of a follow-up, whatever has or hasn't happened to my car it just passed its MOT with only a couple of minor advisories (pads and rear tyres). I'm still convinced that the DPF has been removed, as well as the App showing no regens and me never noticing any the exhaust is also quite noisy once it's warmed up. Whatever, it's passed and I'm happy. Probably keep it for a while now. I like it.

• Like 1

If you get any smoke when you boot it hard it’s most likely that the DPF has been removed. Since it has passed an MOT don’t worry about it. I would be tempted to use the same MOT garage next year.

Mark.

No, I'm not worried about it now! Spotted a small bit of smoke a couple of times accelerating onto M-way, but not much. And yes, same garage next year - if I still have it (which is probably a big if in eight month's time) 

31 minutes ago, pavlf said:

No, I'm not worried about it now! Spotted a small bit of smoke a couple of times accelerating onto M-way, but not much. And yes, same garage next year - if I still have it (which is probably a big if in eight month's time) 

DPF removed then :) new laws suggest that any visible smoke, even if slight, is an instant fail for a diesel taking its MOT