Scary electrical problems

2015 Octavia 1.6d auto estate.

Whilst driving had loads of error messages flash up and lights on the dashboard illuminate.

Then lights go off and the speedo and revs drop to zero.

Any idea whats going on?  Car booked into Skoda dealer but not for a couple of weeks.  Is it even safe to drive?  

Pretty scary whilst on M25 and it goes black and the speedo drops to zero. Wondering if brakes are going be ok etc.

Pictures from last 2 days when this happened

Scary indeed, but not necessarily a serious issue.

Is it possible that your battery died? Although you might be able to start the car, strange behavior may address battery or battery contact issues. Check visually and recharge the battery somewhere outside of your car, if this is easier for you then to tow it to the service. Maybe worth trying if it is something so simple?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you don't have anywhere to borrow the charger, then buy a new battery. 

If current battery has been completely depleted more then once, probably isn't fit to manage through the upcoming winter. Open the hood and check the characteristics of the installed one, printed on the sticker, hopefully it is still the one from the first installation (OEM). Not necessarily OEM, there are good brands on the market like Exide, Varta, Banner... I think for start stop vehicles it must be AGM battery, a bit more expensive.

Good luck.

What are the battery voltages when the engine is running & not running?

This would help rule out the alternator not charging.

You can also charge the battery & leave it a while to check it is holding charge or not.

Check also the connection terminals on the battery are not oxidised/dirty as a bad connection due to vibration when driving can also cause intermittant power problems.

Definately sounds like an electrical problem.

Edited by Gabbo

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I used to drive an X-reg Corsa ten years ago and that used to do the same, granted it was a Vauxhall and had about 85k on it, it was rather annoying when everything decided to shut down and not restart immediately!

A family friend who was a Vauxhall tech informed me that the wiring sometimes got damp and corrode.

Every other journey it’d happen, safe to say I was elated when it eventually got written off in a collision!

Hope you’re back on the road carefree soon. 

24 minutes ago, courty said:

I used to drive an X-reg Corsa ten years ago and that used to do the same, granted it was a Vauxhall and had about 85k on it, it was rather annoying when everything decided to shut down and not restart immediately!

A family friend who was a Vauxhall tech informed me that the wiring sometimes got damp and corrode.

Every other journey it’d happen, safe to say I was elated when it eventually got written off in a collision!

Vauxhall had the stupid habit of using the same connector pin material for high current and low current pins - which should have been silver and gold respectively. Result? - the low current pins got corrosion and all manner of electrical gremlins appeared. I used to have a Corsa 1.6GSi that needed the connector shared by the injectors and throttle position sensor unplugging every month or so otherwise the engine would "idle" at 3000rpm :wall:

Edited by PetrolDave
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, courty said:

Hope you’re back on the road carefree soon. 

Vauxhalls renowned for this

On 17/11/2018 at 17:42, kingsc99 said:

Vauxhalls renowned for this

I know someone with one of the last 2017 mk1 Insignia VXRs with about 8k miles on it, the Alternator has already went.

On my Octavia, if the car is damp - for example the morning after a rainy night - it'll complain that the 3rd brake light is out. But it isn't actually, if I get someone to check (is there an easier way of checking brake lights?) the centre brake light is perfectly fine. If I turn the car off and on again (the old IT solution) the complaint doesn't show on the dash.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 15/11/2018 at 10:54, newtonfield said:

Under warranty

instrument cluster and

gear selector unit

has been replaced.

Hopefully trouble free motoring ahead.

Hi Newton I have the exact same issue, did replacing the instrument cluster fix it? 

• 1 year later...
Hi Newton

I've  experienced  the same issue with my Skoda Superb Estate Laurin & Kleiment 2017

Has your issue been fixed for good Newton?

Please could you let me know, as this would be very helpful for  me.Thank you

I took mine to Alan Day Skoda with the same electrical issues and they've told me I must've spilled drinks over the buttons which hasn't been the case.

They told me that they've found prof of spillage in my buttons and they need to replace all the buttons around the gear lever which they did but made me pay for it.

I've disputed that but in the end I've paid given the fact of the position I was under and that I needed my car back for work.

The car was actually fine after that , however I've discovered that my panoramic sun roof wasn't working so I took it back to the dealership for further investigation and repairing my sun roof.

Moreover , my car has been with them for 4 weeks now and they are trying to blame me for the first time when the electrical problems like yours occurred on my car saying that's me causing it by spilling drinks on the electrical buttons the first time!

Is there anyone else here that have experienced the same electrical issues like Newton please reply as this would be very much help for me in outlining this issue to Skoda.Screenshot_20210326-094921.thumb.png.5cdc2857e5ef9a252f6cc894e4e68bcd.pngScreenshot_20210326-094921.thumb.png.5cdc2857e5ef9a252f6cc894e4e68bcd.png

Screenshot_20210326-094922.png

Screenshot_20210326-094935.png

Screenshot_20210326-095009.png

Screenshot_20210326-094944.png

Screenshot_20210326-094929.png

• 3 months later...
27 minutes ago, Kilkennyk said:

Dadys did you get sorted. I am having the same issues with my Octavia.

lights on, I have to jump start it in the mornings. 

booked in next week with Skoda garage. 

C3F857DA-5205-4F36-9642-E056B9AB9D69.jpeg

Best thing to do is get a load test done. That will tell you if it is the battery or alternator. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 28/06/2021 at 16:51, Kilkennyk said:

Dadys did you get sorted. I am having the same issues with my Octavia.

lights on, I have to jump start it in the mornings. 

booked in next week with Skoda garage. 

C3F857DA-5205-4F36-9642-E056B9AB9D69.jpeg

Hi Bud,sorry just seen your comment, no it's not sorted,still ongoing and other issues  I'm thinking to take them to court as their head office siding with the Skoda approved dealership, they're treating me like I'm some kind of an idiot, disgusting ,, customer service" Skoda UK Head office/Volkswagen don't care about people's problems with their cars, absolutely disgusting

The EFM+ standard batteries that Skoda put on the cars from the factory are rubbish and I think a lot of the error messages - are NOT the fault - they are meerly symptoms of the fault.  New Battery is a good first place. 

There is a shortage of batteries due to most of the UK stock of Scalas and some Kodiaq's - have had to have new batteries replaced due to manufacturing warranty faults; there is also a lack of batteries for all VAG cars due to folk's batteries failing because they weren't using their cars.

Get the battery replaced (and coded in), clear the faults and see what happens - @dadys - sorry you have having issues - do you have access to a scanning tool (ODBEleven or VCDS) that you can scan the car and post up the CANBUS error log please?

On 26/07/2021 at 08:51, varaderoguy said:

The EFM+ standard batteries that Skoda put on the cars from the factory are rubbish and I think a lot of the error messages - are NOT the fault - they are meerly symptoms of the fault.  New Battery is a good first place. 

There is a shortage of batteries due to most of the UK stock of Scalas and some Kodiaq's - have had to have new batteries replaced due to manufacturing warranty faults; there is also a lack of batteries for all VAG cars due to folk's batteries failing because they weren't using their cars.

Get the battery replaced (and coded in), clear the faults and see what happens - @dadys - sorry you have having issues - do you have access to a scanning tool (ODBEleven or VCDS) that you can scan the car and post up the CANBUS error log please?

Thank you so much for your help

To summarise my car had been in a Skoda Approved Dealership Centre for repairs under warranty for almost two months.
The approved Skoda car  dealership returned my car to me with various dents, scratches, rust, internal door leather perforated, almost 300 miles surplus in terms what mileage I should had on my dashboard, when heavy rain occurs my internal walls pillars are getting soaked.
I've raised a complaint through Skoda Head Office/Volkswagen customer resolutions manager, my complaint case been dismissed like it was nothing, Skoda UK/Volkswagen Financial services dismissed my claim and refused to compensate me in any way, moreover, the Skoda UK Head office/Volkswagen Financial services have not responded to my signed recorded delivery letters sent out to them also Skoda UK/Volkswagen Financial Services been siding with the Skoda approved dealership throughout my complaint.
The Skoda Approved dealership are very rude in the emails towards me, they have an intimidating/bullying approach towards me when I ask them to repair or pay for the bodywork damaged caused to my car and the panoramic sunroof.
Also Skoda UK Warranty have refused  my warranty claim to have my sunroof frame and the 4 drains pipes replaced under my extended warranty.
I have a paper trail of emails whereby the approved Skoda dealership admit liability for the bodywork damages and also emails where they are saying in writing that today Mr Iosub we will replace your sunroof unit and the repairs will be done under your extended warranty so they are the only ones that have carried out repairs on my car sunroof and therefore their repairs haven't been done properly as after I've received my car back when it rains heavy my internal car walls pillars are getting soaked.
I want my car bodywork damaged repaired according to the manufacturer standards, I want my sunroof unit and drain pipes replaced with new parts with no cost to me and I want to also claim financial compensation .
I've purchased this car on a PCP Finance agreement, I've been without my car for almost to months and I've continued paying my monthly instalments to Volkswagen Financial services all though I haven't been able to use my car for almost two months nor did I received any financial compensation or any monthly instalments back for all the inconvenience caused.
SkodaUK/Volkswagen Financial services are continuing to ignore my complaint and dismiss it , and continuously siding with the Skoda Approved dealership that had my car in their approved service centre for almost two months and return it to me with almost 300 miles extra, bodywork damages, dents, scratches, rust, internal wall leather door perforated  and a leaking panoramic sunroof every time when rain occurs.
I have all the correspondence between myself and the Skoda approved dealership and the correspondence between myself and Skoda UK/Volkswagen resolution manager and SkodaUK /Volkswagen Financial Services in writing as plenty of proof/evidence for court proceedings if it comes to that.
This is just a short summary of my case but there is much more to this since I took my car to the Skoda approved dealership first time in February.
I have plenty of evidence to support my case , all I want is compensation, justice and my car to be fixed externally and internally according to the manufacturer's standards.

PLease let me know your thoughts on this,thank you

I suggest a detailed email to the Managing Director of Skoda UK should be the way forward:

[email protected]

I'm kinda in the same boat - different issues; that's what I've been told to do by my Skoda dealer.

Edited by varaderoguy

15 minutes ago, varaderoguy said:

I suggest a detailed email to the Managing Director of Skoda UK should be the way forward:

Rod.McLeod@skoda.co.uk

I'm kinda in the same boat - different issues; that's what I've been told to do by my Skoda dealer.

I've emailed  Mr Rod McLeod four  times, no help whatsoever, passed my case to the resolution manager which did not help at all,but in fact he sided with the approved Skoda dealership and did not do anything to help my case.

Basically they do not care, so don't pin your hopes in that.

For me know is taking them to court, reporting to trading standards and exploring all the other legal options at my disposal.

I for one,after the treatment I've received as a Skoda customer will not buy a VAG car ever again in my life time.

Edited by dadys
Grammar

• 2 years later...

Hi. i know its a old tread. but did anybody ever found out what the fault was ?

i have the same problem with a 2014 1.4 tsi 140hp. 

and have been working on it for more then a year. and no results