Tyres spin and slide really easy

Ken2869

Hello everyone. I’ve noticed that my fabia tyres spin really easy even when its not wet and whenever it is wet it is really bad when it rains as I pull out of busy junctions my tires spin or slides until I shift into second gear it still spins then third gear it stops spinning . Then I also went around a big roundabout in 3rd gear not going exceedingly fast I felt my tyres start sliding which made me lose a little bit of control, my tyres were inflated to the right psi and passed MOT so could it be something else and also my brakes did seize up whenever I left my car out in the rain when I went for holidays could that have anything to do with this problem. I also had to preform an emergency brake at one stage and felt and heard a rumble then once I tried to move from the emergency brake it felt like one of the brakes were stuck on the tyres but just after driving for a bit it unstuck.

Thanks

Buy some decent tyres and get rid of the cheap rubbish ones you obviously have at the moment.

The rumble under emergency braking is the ABS working trying to stop the tyres locking.

Rear drum brakes seizing after being parked in the rain, they need stripping down, cleaning and servicing/maintenance. See the other threads on the subject.

• Like 3

On 12/09/2018 at 09:41, KenONeill said:

@Ken2869 - Fit better tyres! Seriously, something like a Barum Bravaris 3 or Toyo Proxes CF4 in 205/55R16V is only about £50 fitted, balanced and new valve, so there is just no reason for having Chinese ditchfinders!

Would I have to fit 4 new tyres or just the two front tyres ?? 

5 minutes ago, langers2k said:

If all four are low quality, replace all of them...

If you only replace the front you might have some exciting moments if the rear lets go first ;)

ahahah yeah I suppose I’ll replace all four thanks for the help 

• 1 month later...

That reminds me. I supervised a free diy tyre fitment many years ago. My colleague used silicone grease to get the tyre on the rim. Seemed to be ok

Then for ,some reason, I checked more carefully and found that the tyre was spinning around the wheel.:wub:

• Haha 2

• 1 month later...

When I got my Focus (53 plate) in 2017 she had a mix of Autogrip and Landsails.

But this year she was a bit understeery (especially in the wet) so you had to thread the eye of the needle and ease her into bends.

I changed to Continental Premium Contact 5

Now looking to get on some road trips  - after I get her fixed as someone ran into the back of her :(

I cant find the edit post! 

Budget tyres have come a long way in development. I had some decent budgets on my Favorit/Felicia once and my sisters old Micra but that's going back years ago!!

Now I stick to some decent mid rangers. 

It depends on how enthusiastically you drive too

1 hour ago, Captain Sisko said:

It depends on how enthusiastically you drive too

True for 99% of the time but when you need to swerve or e'brake you will soon know how good or bad they are.  IMO there should be higher standards for road tyres.  As a minimum you should be able to slam on the anchors and know that you are going to stop (ignoring exceptional conditions eg. snow/ice)

• Like 1

On 17/12/2018 at 15:46, MarkyG82 said:

True for 99% of the time but when you need to swerve or e'brake you will soon know how good or bad they are.  IMO there should be higher standards for road tyres.  As a minimum you should be able to slam on the anchors and know that you are going to stop (ignoring exceptional conditions eg. snow/ice)

This.

Ditchfinders: not even once!

Hi,

Really cheap or even worn decent tyres are a danger not only to the driver of the car but also passengers; other road users and pedestrians. I cringe now to think 50 years ago my chums and I used to drive over to Scarborough in a very old car fitted with slick tyres these tyres showing their canvass; strange though we never stopped due to punctures.

Our Yeti suffers mild wheelspin whilst pulling away from a junction at an incline and this with factory fitted Goodyear Efficient Grip tyres; these are not cheap tyres as we found out after suffering a puncture; it cost £150 to have the same type of tyre fitted.

This week we took a deep breath and have had four new Michelin Cross Climate tyres fitted to the Yeti costing just under £600 "tyreonthedrive" were wonderful. We've been watching lots of YouTube videos showing these tyres in action and these tyres can be run all year round.

Please consider your own and others safety Ken2869 and although it hurts your pocket fitting decent tyres it doesn't hurt as much as a multi veihcle pile up with possible loss of life.

Kind regards, Colin.

• Like 2

The 'price /cost' of replacing Goodyear, Continental, Dunlop, Pirelli or other VW Group or even other manufacturers tyres has nothing to do with them being 'good or safe tyres'.

Just what VW Group and others bulk buy at good prices to them and which are fitted regardless of maybe being pretty crap tyres.

What is fitted to cars imported to the UK which has UK weather and no Legislation requiring 'Suitable tyres for the UK' means even AWD's arrive in the UK with pretty rubbish tyres.

More 'Factory' options of Tyres would meybe be appropriate other than some of the garbage that is offered that VW Group feel are 'what people really want'.

Cars from the Dealership fit for the country they will be driven in is rather important, and maybe the various Governments are to blame for 'Eco tyres'.

Hi,

We've owned brand new; 1 x Reliant Robin; 1 x Citroen 2CV; 9 x Nissan Micra; 2 x Toyota Aygo; 1 x Skoda Fabia Monte Carlo and our current Skoda Yeti; in all these cars never have we experienced problems due to car manufacturers fitting cheap tyres. In July the Yeti suffered a tyre sidewall puncture and the tyre we bought was a direct replacement costing £150 from DMK; these cost similar through eBay; I'd never call Goodyear a cheap or inferior tyre manufacturer or any of the other well established and respected  tyre manufacturers; we've just paid almost £600 for a set of 4 x Michelin Cross Climate tyres; Michelin like Goodyear and many others have been making tyres forever. I'd be very interested to see proof of sub standard cheap tyres being fitted to new cars being sold here in the UK. I'm not going to call cheap tyres names either because I've not tried using them and hopefully never will. I'm not blinkered either because I fully understand manufacturers trying to save money such as VAG fiddling emissions which is disgraceful; has any car manufacturer ever been dragged into court for fitting unsuitable tyres here in the UK?

Kind regards, Colin.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

^^^ They are not 'cheap' as in having a low 'RRP or discounted price to the general public'. 

Just some are pretty rubbish in the real world on real roads.  Big brand names as fitted to vehicles produced by the biggest or 2nd car manufacturing car group in the world.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/460036-factory-fitted-tyres

eg. 

£150 to replace Continental Premium Contact 2 ContSeal.   Top pictures.

Not cheap from this German Manufacturers if you have to go buy them, but just ****e on a SEAT 150ps Diesel with DSG. 

2nd Bottom picture.

Tyres on the right.  £120-£150 RRP.

Dunlop Sport Maxx & Pireli Zero Nero that Skoda / VW allow ti be fitted under warranty when UK cars 'Pull to the left' 

& the Dealers & Skoda blame the Dunlops, or the Continental or what ever tyres rather than the Alignment from the factory and the Techs without the skill or the fact they can not be bother to sort that out.

Vorsprung Durch Technik. 

Learn that over time you can full only some of the people some of the time.

Bottom pic.

as Skoda had fitted the OEM Dunlop Sport Maxx 205/40 R17's, rather good in the dry, so so in the wet 

& if you have a light foot they get about OK thanks to the DSG and TC off....

DSCN2205.JPG

DSCN2210.JPG

post-86161-0-01613600-1451087468.jpg.ca515fd66bfad955627c12908a585120.jpg.a51d51c6d6067897d12883788f91fc46.jpg

post-86161-0-12209400-1480076243.jpg

Edited by Skoffski

I noticed certainly on the Audi and Volkswagen "CAR DATA" printouts, that there is a field/code/option PR-CODE for "customer specified tyre" or a similar comment with that meaning, so either that is intended for only fleet buyers or the UK importers are just too lazy to offer that option to us, I've not checked the SEAT "CAR DATA" printout and don't know how Skoda handle this in UK.