TPMS

wildpig

Does the Kodiaq range use both types?

I thought VAG's TPMS (Tyre Pressure Monitoring System) used the ABS sensors to monitor the rolling radius of each wheel?

Are you saying some models utilise separate sensors attached to the wheel valves?

As mentioned on another place you asked this. I don't think it's an option on Skoda. Technically t's probably possible by adding the wiring and ECU and sensors. But does the Skoda version of the HMI support it? Even if coded in what would the HMI screen display in order for you to do the settings if the screen designs have never been done?

Only reason I can think of is the ability to monitor tyre pressure using the sensors.

I had a Mercedes with this feature and it informed me if any tyre was not at the recommended pressure.

OK Thanks Guys!

My hard work pays off....after hunting high and low.... studying and reading thousands of posts on TMPS

I took a risk and followed this post:

https://forums.ross-tech.com/showthread.php?5328-TPMS-(Tire-Pressure-Meter-System-Direct)-for-VW-Golf-MKVII-MQB/page2

I got these: :D

But I am still trying out if anything will go wrong as it involve coding on ABS. 

Hereby I would like to give a big shout Thanks to XaGiCo,  who have posted such a detailed write out on the retrofit!

TPMS.jpg

TPMS1.jpg

Edited by wildpig
error

The system has been in Audi’s and Merc’s for a few years, either as an option or standard.

The unit in the wheels contains a pressure monitor and radio transmitter and has a battery that last up to ten to twelve years. It either slides into a mount on the wheels inner rim below the tyre valve part or is stuck to it.

The units valves and stems are replaceable, but you need to keep a stock as most tyre fitters don’t have them.

The sensors in the wheel regularly transmit the pressures to a receiver module attached to the head unit. Typically it’s more accurate than the petrol station units, but not as good as good tyre pressure gauge.

• 1 year later...

hey @wildpig - did u manage to successfully complete this retrofit?

i'm looking to do a similar retrofit on my Superb.

the bit i'm trying to figure out is:-

1. where did u mount the TPMS controller?

2. how did u route the wiring from the CANBUS controller to the controller

3. which pins did u connect to in the CANBUS High and Low?

i've also seen the ross-tech guide - i just to translate it to english to figure out the 36 pages!!

I got most of the way through it before my Kodiaq was written off by insurance 😣

Basically:

- Yeah it's supported

- You need the module

- If the module is brand new, you need ODIS or VCP to code it (to upload the XML file that describes the wheel/tyre sizes and recommended pressures), or else you get an error "invalid data record ".  VCDS cannot code this setting.

- I put the module behind the rear bumper using an existing hole and made a bracket to suit

- I tapped it into the wiring loom that goes to the lane-change-assist radar (got CAN-BUS-EXTENDED from that loom)

- It needs terminal 30 (non-switched power) which I had already run to the boot, you could get this from the boot ciggy lighter socket (if you didn't convert it to switched like I did)

There's a bit of dicking around with coding to get it to work, but it does work.   I 

Now i'll have to do it all over again when the car is replaced *sigh*

Thanks for that info @wokwon.

I realise that vcp/odis will b required to upload the parameter file.

Do u happen to have a copy of the file?

I have a vcds cable already, so I should b able to do the other coding.

So with regards to the canbus connection, u tapped into the blind spot radar wiring behind the rear bumper?  

I take it then, u didn't have to tap into it under the dashboard. 

Likewise with the power source, u tapped into the 12-volt supply in the boot, instead of getting it from the fuse location behind the glove box.

If this is the case, i.e. I don't need to route wiring from the front to the rear, i would b more comfortable and at ease doing this retrofit.

I'm ok with removing the rear bumper.

I'm not ok removing interior trim panels.

If it's ok, can I ping u later (once I have the hardware) for some more guidance with regards to the canbus connections?

Thanks again.

Edited by JR RS

Hi @jrrs

Use this website to generate the XML: http://htmlpreview.github.io/?https://raw.githubusercontent.com/joltcoke/rdks-tool/master/generator.html

I tapped into the radar for can bus extended.

I had already run power from the fuse box to the boot area (for extra reversing lights) so I didn't tap into the lighter socket. That wouldn't work for me anyway as I changed the wiring for the lighter socket so that it is switched on and off with the ignition.  If you haven't done this mod, you could use the lighter socket power.

Feel free to reach out but I don't actually have a Kodiaq any more so I can only tell you what I remembered I did.

See attached picture, the blue arrow is where I accessed the can bus extended.

20190914_121739.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

is there access to permanent 12v source somewhere inside the rear bumper?

i'm reluctant to remove the "entire" interior boot trim to access the 12v socket next to the shopping hooks and folding rear seat levers.

that was my plan, however reading the repair manuals, its seems to b a very fiddly job.

i'm definitely not keen on sourcing power, via piggyback fuse, from the fusebox and wiring it all the way to back.

i'm wondering if there is some wire behind the rear bumper that i can tap into for a 12V source.

On 01/11/2019 at 16:25, JR RS said:

is there access to permanent 12v source somewhere inside the rear bumper?

Trailer loom, if you have it fitted, may or may not have a constant 12V (there are many variations).

Rumor has it that it's only enabled when a trailer plug is in the socket too but I can't confirm that.  

The 'kick to open' thingo would also likely be powered all the time if you have that fitted too.

8 hours ago, wokwon said:

Trailer loom, if you have it fitted, may or may not have a constant 12V (there are many variations).

Rumor has it that it's only enabled when a trailer plug is in the socket too but I can't confirm that.  

The 'kick to open' thingo would also likely be powered all the time if you have that fitted too.

i've got the virtual pedal, so i might b able to tap into that.

21 minutes ago, SimonAudi said:

Does the system have like an ariel in the wheel arch so it knows which sensor is at which wheel?

Of do you have to teach the system where the wheels / sensors are? if so how?

THANKS

It's pretty much just a sensor with an RF antenna in every tyre, usually a 2-in-1 valve/sensor. Paired to the car via VCDS or any comparable VAG diagnostic system I'm pretty sure.

Yes - but how does the car know where the wheels are..

I ask as I am still waiting my 2020 MY Kodiaq and have winter wheels to go on..

I have now fitted Sensors to wheels - but not sure how you would pair them.. or if its Autopairing or??

They all send different signals so the car knows which tyre is which. If it loses signal it'll obviously throw up a message. If you've swapped the sensors to the correct wheels then there shouldn't be any issues. Otherwise the dealer will most likely need to pair them.

No - New sensors to the second set wheels - hence the question.. 

Some one posted previously that there was ariels in the wheel arches  which is how it knew what wheels were where... but I do not see that in the  info in this thread..

Whether it is different signals issued by each of the four separate sensors, or separate receivers under each wheel arch liner linked to it's own wheel sensor, I guess either way, if the sensors are new they'll need pairing to the car.

Can this be done by the driver using the infotainment system (unlikely), or will it require a visit to the dealer / the use of VCDS etc. is the question...