What's the furthest distance you've taken your Superb?

Longest single day drive is probably Ayr to Redbridge (Essex) via Leeds the day I picked up the car. Regularly drive London to Liverpool and back in a day though.

Back in late 90's we thought it would be a good idea to drive London to Moscow in a 3 car convoy 1978 to 1981 mini's only stopping on the ferry to Belgium and for long enough to swap drivers and take pictures of the cars by the sign for the arctic circle. No sat nav back then so we probably drove far further than necessary.

The furthest away from home I've been in my Mk III is on the A1 to the east of Kaunas, Lithuania, at the junction with route 129 to Alytus, which is 1,150 miles from Brecon in a straight line.

My Mk I Superb went a little further away to Lida in Belarus, which is 1,195 miles from Brecon in a straight line.

The furthest I've been away from home in any car was in 1974, when I drove to Bucharest in Romania, which is 1,345 miles from Market Harborough, Leicestershire, which is where I was living at the time.

The furthest from home I've been in a hire vehicle was in 2000, when I drove to Vantaa near Helsinki which is 1,225 miles in a Ford Transit I hired to clear the contents of a flat and bring to Brecon.

Edited by Penpusher
Mileage to Helsinki missed in original post.

It wasn't as bad as it sounds travelling to Helsinki by Ford Transit.  We went from Harwich to Esbjerg in Denmark on the ferry, over the Øresund  Bridge between Denmark and Sweden only a few weeks after it opened, drove across Sweden to Stockholm and took the ferry to Helsinki, which is more like a cruise ship than a ferry.  A lot of the distance was on ships rather than driving and much of it across Sweden was on quiet roads past some large lakes.  

I wouldn't mine doing the trip again, though preferably in the Superb this time of course!

We've returned from our trip to Sicily. 3,526 miles. £255.89 in tolls (France and Italy), £616.38 in petrol (petrol is actually "cheap" in the UK). Additional comprehensive motor insurance was £51.52, Eurotunnel £174.00, return ferry to Sicily £70.30, Austrian vignette and toll £18.50, travel insurance for medical £201.51 (pre-conditions). Grand total: £1,388.10. That's before 23 days of food, drink and lodging.

I remember buying a guide: "Europe on $5 a day" in the early '70's.

Our next holiday will be in the UK and in the countryside. I've had enough urban buzz to last me a while.

• Like 1

It's amazing when you guys go on a road trip you get to drive through so many amazing countries...

I just drove from Sydney (NSW) to Brisbane (QLD) (Australia) on Friday and that was 935kms and only two states!!!

• 2 weeks later...