Wifi thingy....

Hi all, 

I've had a search and in all honesty i don't really know what i'm looking at!

How the bloomin' 'eck does the WLAN thing work? I've got a 66 plate vRS with the Amundsen head unit. Can someone explain how I connect to it etc.

TIA

Alan

1 hour ago, Alan H said:

Why do you say it's not very good? 

No it's not very good at all, spent a long time setting up only to be pretty disappointed by it

You can do pretty much all I wanted via Andriod Auto from your own phone

Edited by themanwithnoaim
  • Thanks 1

If it's anything like the WiFi on my amundsen (MY17 SE Sport) then all it is a wifi repeater.

Basically you share your wifi on your phone, the car logs onto that and then creates a Skoda WiFi hotspot for everyone to connect to.

Of course, they could just connect to your wifi on your phone ...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, SeanM said:

Sunni/Shiite are two different types of Muslim. I don't pretend t know the full history but people often use it as a joke.

Edited by john999boy

1 hour ago, gRoberts said:

Sunni/Shiite are two different types of Muslim. I don't pretend t know the full history but people often use it as a joke.

Thanks for the clarification and apologies for my over-reaction - I haven't lived in the UK for over a decade and some phrases now go over my head  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alan H said:

From what's being said you may as well just use your phone as the hotspot. Unless the WLAN in the car somehow amplifies the wifi signal? 

A personal hotspot on your phone will transmit up to about 10-20m - so doubt there is any need to extend/amplify it.

Ultimately I think it was originally added for the SmartGate system - Rather than only enable it for those who purchased it, it looks like they used it as a freebie/marketing item.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, SeanM said:

Have I misconstrued this is or is there now a branch of the KKK in Farnborough?

I used the name of a religion for humour's sake, if anyone see's anymore in it than the humour then, they're OVERTHINKING things.

No subject is taboo from humour because, in this world I don't see enough people laughing still, it'll soon be Christmas when the "snowflakes" will be falling

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Alan H said:

From what's being said you may as well just use your phone as the hotspot. Unless the WLAN in the car somehow amplifies the wifi signal? 

I thought that when connected to the car it used the cars antenna which resulted in a better signal .... it certainly used to in my Oct 2

• Like 1

4 hours ago, themanwithnoaim said:

I used the name of a religion for humour's sake, if anyone see's anymore in it than the humour then, they're OVERTHINKING things.

No subject is taboo from humour because, in this world I don't see enough people laughing still, it'll soon be Christmas when the "snowflakes" will be falling

Obviously other people cannot see your (hidden by me) original post and whilst I agree with your thoughts above, the main problem (without wanting this to be off topic), was that the 'choice words'  you used were in effect linked together in such a way that a potential offence could be construed. This led to the post being reported to Staff.

I had no doubt that the comments weren't malicious (reinforced by your later replies), but I could also see that 'something' needed to be done - hence the editing. :thumbup:

Now, about Christmas 'snowflakes' falling comment................................ :tongueout:

Edited by john999boy
Typo

The WLAN implementation on my 245 is garbage; I have unlimited data on my iPhone, therefore don't really need a dongle.......you would think......however I pair my phone and sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes the car picks up the phone but flatly refuses to connect to the hot-spot. I can sometimes "force it" by deleting it and re-adding it, but thats a 50/50 thing. Also it doesn't automatically connect so having to go through the process every time I get in the car has now lead me to simply ignore the fact my car has the started ability. You could try a dongle but I doubt very much if it would be any better. The Skoda provided online content is dire as well....... A missed opportunity.

Also on "the other matter"; nice to see Admin took a measured approach; other so called "forums" would have cut the member dead. Well done Briskoda - common sense prevails.

I have the blackvue so with permanent wifi in the car i can talk through the camera and also upload any incidents in real time to the cloud so a thief cant destroy the evidence and you can also see whats going on live and get alerts + real time GPS coords. if there has been an incident, and also connect it to the radio.

Edited by JohnnyType2

2 hours ago, wardth said:

The WLAN implementation on my 245 is garbage; I have unlimited data on my iPhone, therefore don't really need a dongle.......you would think......however I pair my phone and sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes the car picks up the phone but flatly refuses to connect to the hot-spot. I can sometimes "force it" by deleting it and re-adding it, but thats a 50/50 thing. Also it doesn't automatically connect so having to go through the process every time I get in the car has now lead me to simply ignore the fact my car has the started ability. You could try a dongle but I doubt very much if it would be any better. The Skoda provided online content is dire as well....... A missed opportunity.

Also on "the other matter"; nice to see Admin took a measured approach; other so called "forums" would have cut the member dead. Well done Briskoda - common sense prevails.

apple or android?

I have been looking at dual camera setup and a tracker. Blackvue 900s were suggested and a tracker with SIM. I asked someone in a well know car chain how to connect up cameras to cloud, he said using phone. I asked how do I get alerts? On the phone. So I leave my phone in the car to be stolen so the thief can get a confirmation message that they have successfully stolen car and as a bonus got a new smartphone.

So how have you achieved permanent WiFi connection?