Front of car noise.

Hello everyone, 

I have a 2008 Fabia 3 estate 1.9Tdi  and over the last couple of weeks it has developed a noise from the front end, sounds like you are driving on a concrete road with a rippled surface. Noise begins at approx. 30mph and is loudest at 40mph. Doesn`t make any difference to which gear you are in or whether you drop it out of gear and coast. May be slightly louder if you turn to the right but not by much. As you speed up the noise either decreases or the wind, engine noise masks it.

New discs  and tyres fitted last year. Any ideas, I do like to have a bit of an idea before I take it into a garage. Thankyou. 

Drone that appears at speed and not related to gear, engine speed and remains when clutch depressed and coasting is a classic symptom of a wheel bearing failing. You might notice, depending on the direction,  taking a sharp bend, the drone getting louder or quieter as load is applied and released.

Simple test to identify which side is bad. Jack the front wheel till it's off the ground and free to spin. Rest one hand halfway up on the coil of the spring while you spin the wheel with the other. If the wheel bearing is bad you'll feel the vibrations amplified through the spring with your hand. If its ok, the spring will remain smooth. Do both sides and compare, it should be obvious.

Edited by xman
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Bigsqueeper said:

Hello everyone, 

I have a 2008 Fabia 3 estate 1.9Tdi  and over the last couple of weeks it has developed a noise from the front end, sounds like you are driving on a concrete road with a rippled surface. Noise begins at approx. 30mph and is loudest at 40mph. Doesn`t make any difference to which gear you are in or whether you drop it out of gear and coast. May be slightly louder if you turn to the right but not by much. As you speed up the noise either decreases or the wind, engine noise masks it.

New discs  and tyres fitted last year. Any ideas, I do like to have a bit of an idea before I take it into a garage. Thankyou. 

Don't know if this will help had a similar issue and I found the nearside strut spring had a fracture near the top of the spring just at the end of the spring as it goes into the holding plate,3 different garages said there was nothing wrong but it was cracked, I changed both springs and the car ran quiet after this, seems it was throwing the steering geo out when on the road and moving causing the tyres to make strange noises

My 2009 1.9tdi had a droning noise from the front one year ago. Cured by having both wheel bearings replaced. The mechanic put it in the air and spun each wheel by hand to demonstrate both wheels were noisy.

Edited by m8t

Firstly the tyres fitted are Goodyear Eagle F1 on Wolfrace rims. Checked over no issues there. Tracking and wheel alignment done when tyres were fitted. Could not find any breaks in the springs, and when spinning the wheels didn`t hear or feel any noise or vibes. But I did notice that the inside of the offside disc was more worn down than the other 3 sides of the discs. Would a sticking caliper cause this noise ?  So off to the garage it will go, discs came with a two year warranty so maybe I`ll have some new wheel bearings aswell  while the wheels are off. Thanks for everyone`s  input. Will let you know how it turns out.  

20180409_192329.jpg

If the noise is brake related then the noise usually changes when you brake.

I would still be looking at all of the tyres on the inside edge - especially rear - for a saw tooth pattern.

Some people will try swapping the wheels/tyres from side to side and see if it changes.

Thanks AG Falco

• 3 weeks later...

All fixed. Nearside front wheel bearing worn and offside ball joint knackered. So had new front wheel bearings/hubs fitted to both sides, 2 new ABS sensors fitted and a new ball joint. Total cost £225, which I didn`t think was a bad price. M+M Autotech in Beverley.