Using Waze via Apple Carplay

I read somewhere that the latest iOS update by Apple enables use of Waze via Carplay. 

I updated my phone last week while I was away and thought 'great! now I can use Waze to negotiate our 3 hour route back home!' I plugged my phone into the car and lo and behold no Waze app option. Textbook. :( 

Has anyone tried it or had any luck getting it working?

12 minutes ago, JuanGandini said:

I read somewhere that the latest iOS update by Apple enables use of Waze via Carplay. 

I updated my phone last week while I was away and thought 'great! now I can use Waze to negotiate our 3 hour route back home!' I plugged my phone into the car and lo and behold no Waze app option. Textbook. :( 

Has anyone tried it or had any luck getting it working?

Works fine on my IOS12 iPhone X, that said, I much prefer Google maps and the sattelite view is brilliant! 

Reinstall the app? 

Ah right, I assumed I'd need an update to the head unit software. I have the standard unit that comes with the 245 vRS - is that the same as yours? Mines a 67 plate delivered in Feb.

It’s all done by the phone, not the radio. On the iPhone, go into Settings>General>CarPlay then go into Skoda and check that the app is loaded onto CarPlay and not on the outside. I too am preferring Google Maps with satellite view but I’m going to give Waze a really good go tomorrow as I have a really good test for it.

77537FB7-86FD-4802-87D8-07609547A1F9.thumb.jpeg.913eb69afd5168035673ad9eb5849ee2.jpeg

Ah thanks for that - Waze and Google maps aren't visible when I look at my carplay settings on my phone. Doesn't appear to be any options to add apps either, just remove or move them!

I've just clicked 'forget this car' on the 'skoda' button within the Carplay option screen on my phone. I'll set it up again tonight and hopefully that'll sort it out.

1 hour ago, SashaGrace said:

It’s all done by the phone, not the radio. On the iPhone, go into Settings>General>CarPlay then go into Skoda and check that the app is loaded onto CarPlay and not on the outside. I too am preferring Google Maps with satellite view but I’m going to give Waze a really good go tomorrow as I have a really good test for it.

77537FB7-86FD-4802-87D8-07609547A1F9.thumb.jpeg.913eb69afd5168035673ad9eb5849ee2.jpeg

That screen is awesome. Found a couple but they are over £300. Not found any from any breakers yet. Misses will kill me if I buy a new screen. :D

• Like 1

I have been lucky in life and found somebody who can cope with my constant car modification as long as everything else if paid for first. I always say that cars will stay standard in my ownership and it’s never true. There’s very little on my Octy that is different from OEM, only the black badges really but that’s how I like it, lots of little mods that work to make the car a little better for me. There’s still more to do...

• Like 1

I had to update both Google Maps, and the Waze app itself before either would show on Apple CarPlay.  I don't like the fact that there are limited notification options on Waze CarPlay (ie to tell other Wazers of traffic etc).  Waze also doesn't always take the best route.  but it doesn't need data connection for mapping (only notifications and traffic etc) so thats a plus over G-Maps.

Usually use the columbus sat nav though unless it struggles with somewhere!

51 minutes ago, hwr1983 said:

I had to update both Google Maps, and the Waze app itself before either would show on Apple CarPlay.  I don't like the fact that there are limited notification options on Waze CarPlay (ie to tell other Wazers of traffic etc).  Waze also doesn't always take the best route.  but it doesn't need data connection for mapping (only notifications and traffic etc) so thats a plus over G-Maps.

Usually use the columbus sat nav though unless it struggles with somewhere!

You can download a section of maps on google maps so you don’t need data connection. I did the whole of the uk and the download size wasn’t that big to be fair.